on 1 April 2006
I genuinely found this book to be fantastic. I was curious when I first saw it and I am so glad I picked it up in my school library. Yen Mah talks about the philosophies of China that still affect its rapidly changing society, and from an Western-Chinese backgrond, I found it very relevant to understanding my own culture and how being Chinese has influenced my thinking and my outlook. For one thing, Chinese love their food more than anything. Definately me!
She writes colourfully, humourously and clearly. I could not put this book down, I literally finished it in two days. I think that anyone who has a sincere interest in the Chinese culture to anyone who enjoys philosophy to anyone who just wants something entertaining to read, should definately give this a try.
on 31 August 2002
I was born in Hong Kong and lived there till I was 14, and I'm totally gripped by this book! I have never realised before I read it that most of my beliefs of the world and the forces of Nature are so intrinsically Chinese. I love the idea of the one-ness of nature and Mah explains it very well. It's something all westerners should read and try to experience!
on 27 February 2001
Having to be a British born Chinese, my knowledge of the my own culture was not very good. But when I got Watching the Tree for Christmas and started reading it, I got absorbed to it. The more absorbed I was, the book just simply got better and interesting. It mixes the Chinese language, religion, philosophy and history together, and applies them to some of her experience in her life, making this book very enjoyable to read.
on 20 October 2008
Watching the Tree

If someone want to know about China then he/she must read this.

After starting the reading, I don't feel to put it down, really good one, it feels that Author is seating on the next chair and telling the story to you. This book shows us the culture of china, I am very impressed by the defination of various words from Chinese and their script.
The introduction of various Chinese classical like I Ching, Tao Te Ching, Art of the War, etc is amazing with their practical example from private life.
In the beginning it goes a bit slow but if you can get past this you would find the book great. I was reading it in a moment when I needed some peace and the book helped me.
on 14 October 2000
"The only thing that doesn't change is that everything changes" is the motto of the book, and Adeline Yen Mah describes the eastern thinking so well that it makes you understand it better. She succeeds remarkably well in her goal to promote a better understanding between western and eastern thinking, and thereby changed at least my thinking.
on 19 November 2012
This is an amazing read! So much so, that I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day. Adeline Yen Mah reflects on Philosophy, Wisdom, Happiness, Culture, Diet and Religion.

Inspirational woman and great author.

I have since gone on to purchase her other books.

I would highly recommend this to everyone!
on 11 August 2015
I found this book in a charity shop. 6 books for 1 pound.. so this one was one among all the odd/rare books I got that day and the first to be read. I can't expect that the rest of the books are gonna be as good as this one - that'd be impossible.

Awesome book. Really has helped me to better understand bits of Chinese culture. All these references to classic books, the way she explains differences between how things are done in the west and in the east, her live story and what she has learned out of it .. just brilliant.

Little bit of an eye/mind opener. Really enjoyed the reading.
on 9 March 2013
Again, a great book from Adeline yen mah. I thoroughly enjoyed this. It is well worth getting. A great book for anyone who is interested in China.
on 14 September 2014
Really nice read. Easy to understand, nice pace and well written. I enjoyed this book and now have a better understanding of Chinese people and their belief systems. Great