VINE VOICEon 13 June 2017
I came to this after reading all the Tony Hill books one after the other, and probably shouldn't have. I found it hard to believe the same person had written this deeply tedious and unsatisfying tale, with it's annoying, one dimensional cardboard cut out characters and ludicrously convoluted plotlines, full of coincidences and holes which even the most ardent fan would find it hard to forgive. I ploughed through until the pitifully unbelievable 'girl's own heroine' end, although I really couldn't care less what became of the main characters. Quite frankly, if they and the police - truly 'plod' in this case - chose to steadfastly believe for three quarters of the book what is blindingly obvious to the reader, they deserved everything they were supposed to get. As usual Val Mcdermid does a very good job on the gore front - one of her trademarks - but there were points when I read something that didn't fit with what had been said earlier and I had to go back to check who had done what to whom and when. Or why, and what point did it add to the plot, if any. Usually the various strands of Val Mcdermid's books end up weaving satisfyingly into each other, so it all makes a kind of sense, but not this time. One thing still puzzles me - or would if I cared. *Spoiler alert* - during the killing of Georgia Lester, there is a graphic description of the killer committing an unspeakable act with the severed head. Yet later in the book, the investigating detective states there is no evidence of said unspeakable act. Eh what? I kept thinking this was significant (DNA, etc etc) and all would be explained, but it never was. Admittedly I was bored and losing interest in the whole thing, so may have missed something, but it seemed as though the book needed a rigorous going over by an editor who was fully awake. Unlike me.
on 25 January 2015
This is the first Val Mcdermid book I have read, and on the whole it wasn't bad. With a good thriller, what keeps me reading, or indeed picking a thriller book to read in the first place, as opposed to other genres, is that final revelation; when all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. I felt like this book promised this, with reasonable suspense, and decent characterisation, but just didn't deliver. What seemed like a clever plot all the way though, just unravelled into an implausible mess.Our last 'scene' with the killer comes across as lazy, and extremely disappointing. I will read another of Vals books however, as I've gleaned from other reviews that some of her other books are excellent, namely 'A place of execution'.
on 3 July 2016
I hadn't read any Val McDermid before and I was disappointed. The story was fine but didn't really have me desperate to finish to find the ending. It had a satisfying ending but wasn't as gripping as i had hoped.I liked the character of Fiona Cameron but never really felt she developed very far.
on 1 April 2013
Killing the Shadows Another 'stand-alone' crime thriller, this one with a serial killer who targets authors of thrillers, nice twist, with bumbling buissies running round in circles chasing more than one false lead and authors getting scared. Very tense and a couple of big surprises along the way. This makes me think that Val is, for me at least, far better at the creation of believable stand alones than the series based on the same characters. I'm looking forward to reading more, have them lined up and ready.
on 16 June 2016
Loved it from start to finish, still not sure about Fiona who has a chip on her shoulder but fast paced, sad it's finished
on 6 March 2017
Really disappointed as I have enjoyed Val Mcdermid's books in the past. I found this one really boring and skipped most of it.
on 31 July 2015
This is a very good read with lots of twists and turns and cliffhangers. I do not know if there are plans to make it into a film but if not there should be. This is the first Val McDermid novel that I have read but will definitely not be the last.
on 6 August 2017
Came already signed 1st edition very pleased
on 15 April 2018
Brilliant author
on 11 February 2014
I' d recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good mystery thriller. The story is well constructed and logical. It moves well through events and keeps your interest high. The characters are three dimensional and credible. I enjoyed it greatly and will be reading the rest of the series.