Showing 1-10 of 272 reviews(5 star). See all 392 reviews
on 28 May 2017
I have to concur with the vast majority of reviewers. This series is an excellent romp through the Middle Ages. I liked the paperback version of these books so much that I also bought the Kindle version; that's how much I enjoyed them! Mr Cornwell conjures up a vivid picture of Medieval Europe that makes for a great way to pass the time whether in sickness or in health.

Yes, there are moments when you feel as though Richard Sharpe were about to shoulder a longbow alongside Thomas of Hookton, but the pacey writing kept me interested long enough to ensure that I then read further novels and historical non-fiction accounts of the same period. If for nothing else, for his ability to get me re-acquainted with my love of history and historical literature, I thank Mr Cornwell, and many of you will too.
on 10 July 2017
Really enjoyed this one. The setting and characters are brilliantly brought to life, the action is described superbly and it moves along at a good old pace. I'll pick up the next one in the series when I get a chance (hopefully it won't be too much of a 'more of the same' as the Sharpe books were after a while).

Despite the 5 stars there are just a couple of criticisms:
- a couple of major points are left unresolved by the end. I assume these will carry on into the next book but it would have been nice for Thomas to have a bit more closure.
- the female characters are weak, completely dependent on the male characters for everything. Perhaps that's just an accurate depiction of the way things were back then, but they weren't very interesting people to read about.
on 4 July 2017
I read all the Sharpe books years ago, the sailing books too. Having enjoyed The Last Kingdom on TV, I felt in need of a new adventure and I wasn't disappointed.
As this is the first novel in the series, there is a bit of scene setting but still plenty of action, adventure and the inevitable blood and guts! Throw in a couple of potential love interests and it certainly keeps your interest. I'll be ordering the next one soon.
on 27 July 2017
Must repeat a previous reviewer and add that the whole series which I've now completed, is a great romp through the Middle Ages. Bernard is always accurate on his historical notes at the end, which as an historian myself I appreciate, as it allows for some change where required to help the story, but then points to some excellent resources if you want to review the events yourself. What is very impressive with his writing, is the ability to truly bring home the horror of battle while keeping it exciting at the same time. Good stuff. I hope there are more Thomas of Hookton books, they have been excellent!
on 8 March 2017
Loved it. Was stuck home in bed with a chest infection and would have gone insane with boredom without this romping read!
on 4 July 2017
What a brilliant book such a shame it came to an end exciting right through good gory English battles cannot wait for second instalment
on 20 September 2017
Very hard to put down. The characters have real depth. I love the historical notes at the end. I will buy the next one.
on 27 April 2017
FOR ANYBODY WANTING TO READ THIS SERIES ,I HEARTILY RECOMMEND THEM,TOHISTORICAL WAR BUFFS, DAVE BOWEN.
on 3 August 2017
Found this book so difficult to put down, takes you on a journey with Thomas it's so well depicted you feel involved in the action
on 1 September 2017
Bernard Cornwell is the master at writing historical fact into well constructed fictional tales that create page turning action and suspense. I cant believe how quickly I finished this book and I was left wanting more.