on 5 March 2013
I saw "Master and Commander", I came across an O'Brian book, decided I wanted to read the series.
Have enjoyed the series.
The story lines are bit repetitive. (20+ books)
There is not a lot of 'action' in the books they are more 'drama' in their nature.
The stories are interwoven with a lot of information about animals and birds that at times can become too much of a good thing.
The stories are interwoven with a lot of information about the navy of the time that I found fascinating and not distracting. Apparently mutiny, within tightly specified protocols, was an accepted form of 'industrial action'.
on 4 July 2011
I'm a big fan of historical novels, and if they are sea stories so much the better. 'The Hundred Days' is yet another gem in a glittering series. I'd rate this series of books the best I've ever read. The author evokes the era effortlessly. Friends who know my love of these books have suggested other naval stories set in the same era. I try them eagerly, longing to find another series to enjoy. Thus far, everything else I've tried has fallen far below Mr O'Brian's high standard. So if you like a good yarn, superb characters, and riveting historical detail, then give this series a shot...but start with the first book.
on 12 July 2017
I enjoyed this novel but it didn't grip me like some of the series has. I think this is partly subject matter. I tend to prefer the books that deal predominantly with the sea and this one has large tracts that are land based. Additionally it is toward the end of the series and perhaps O'Brian is losing his edge or, conversely, perhaps I am getting fractionally bored. Hard to tell. Enjoyable but not enthralling. I'll be reading the next one shortly nonetheless!!
on 24 December 2017
Simply the best historical naval writer bar none. Mixing the best naval action with political intrigue set in historically circumstances, this is perhaps not as full of broadside gunsmoke as some would like but is a perfect continuation of the Aubrey & Maturin tale.
on 18 November 2014
Another excellent tale with this story as gripping and fascinating as I found Book 1. Whilst these books stand alone as stories in whatever order they may be read, I believe I have derived greater value and appreciation of the author and his outstanding ability to tell this series of tales by reading the books in chronological order.
on 10 January 2018
If you like this type of novel and the era then it can not be faulted. Great reads
on 7 December 2014
I am a huge fan of Patrick O`Brian books. Anyone with an interest in naval history, fiction or not, should read the Aubrey/Maturin series of novels. There are about 18 books in all and every one is historically accurate, interesting, informative and exciting. Patrick O`Brian is widely considered the greatest naval storyteller of all time.
on 14 April 2018
Good as always.
on 24 March 2016
Another good read, a bit too much of the story about Stephen's interest in animals. Now approaching the final volumes of this series.
on 19 July 2017