Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2000
This book does not cover every species you are likely to encounter but it gives a good 'taster' of most. It covers a wide range from amphibians to insects and is indispensable for those enquiring minds. The photographs are excellent and the book is very portable and user friendly. I would recommend to anybody with a general interest in the wildlife of this area.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2009
I received a request from friends I was due to visit in coastal Turkey for a simple book in English describing the turkish wildlife. This comprehensive little book with clear photographs was perfect & much appreciated.
on 7 February 2009
A very good general book on the natural history of Mediterranean Wildlife. Specialists botanical books are available for individual Greek islands and worth looking at, especially for the island of Crete.
on 5 May 2013
This is a handy book to carry everywhere. It is comprehensive. The text is simple and the photographs are easily identifiable. This is my 2nd copy the other is worn out.
There are some species missing but very few.
on 6 November 2016
This is my third purchase of this publication , in three years . I have taken it with me on many field trips in France and Italy and find most of my identification requirements fulfilled . As a general portable identification guide I have found it essential. ( two copies have fallen apart with constant use.)
on 18 September 2009
This book covers a wide variety of all forms of wild life,but does not go into great detail e.g. pictures of different catterpillars etc. I found it very helpful in identifing most creatures, but some Cyprus wildlife was ommitted completely.Overall good value.
on 21 May 2013
I had a look at this book before purchasing it, as it was in the library of a nature holiday company. I find the use of photographs of birds and plants very good and help with recognition, in many cases it is easier than the plant or bird drawings in the more usual nature guides.
on 29 August 2013
This is a very good book and was good value but it is misleadingly titled as a " complete guide..." There is a subtext on the cover explaining that it refers to the more commonly encountered species but it is pretty difficult to read this when buying online and even when I had the book in my hands it wasn't until I found species missing that I noticed it. I understand it may be difficult to included everything in a volume this size but I would have preferred the option of smaller pictures and/or separate volumes for animals and plants which were then more comprehensive in terms actual species. However, as it stands it is still a very good book and worth taking on a Mediterranean holiday.
on 10 December 2012
My two Canadian nephews will be living in France for ten months, attending primary school in a beautiful village of the Provence. They are passionate nature chaps and love hunting lizards and snakes. This book provides them a broad understanding of their surroundings, and their parents said they love it.
on 9 June 2009
Disappointing! I expected a good selection of species found exclusively in the Mediterranean region but many pages described species also found in the UK and Northern Europe. It is a shame, Paul Sterry could have done a lot better by selecting a bit more carefully and by giving a bit more space to species such as bees for example(only half a page in the book).