on 17 April 2012
My two grandchildren LOVE this book .They like all the Brambly Hedge books but this is their favourite, it tells the story of 2 little mice searching for somewhere to practice their recital for a forthcoming feast and everyone in the palace is busy and they seem to be in the way. The mother of one of them suggests that they go up to the attic to find some clothes to wear for it and whilst there, they find a key and then stumble on a door, once they open the door, there is staircase and this is what the story is about, what they find upstairs. Although they have heard it many times, when my two grandchildren come to stay (they are 6 and 4), this is the favourite book to be read.
on 8 December 2010
This is a magical story of discovering a secret forgotten place. Great illustrations, but current publication isn't as good as it was when we were younger. Hopefully this work will be rediscovered and published in a better format.
on 22 August 2013
I bought this as part of a gift package for a relative, who loves brambly Hedge. I did have a peek and was won over by the story that unfolded . Very good condition, quick service/delivery etc, well wrapped....and a little girl was extremely happy too. I will keep this in mind for another gift, or maybe I might treat myself ...who knows ? Why not lose yourself in these books too,...nothing to lose and a lot to gain....
on 15 January 2017
Brambly Hedge was possibly my best friend as a young child.
I would spend hours upon hours reading the books, and then i would re-enact them alone, finding whatever props i could in the small Paris rooftop flat i grew up in, just so i could make-believe the cosy, mellow, sweetly sensual, magical, and welcoming world of Brambly Hedge.
I dreamed of candied violets, spring flowers, sparkling ice halls, and lush summer cakes, whilst below me, the loud busy city rushed past.
My father helped me draw and write up my own Brambly Hedge story, which i then sent to Jill Barklem...and months later she wrote back, telling me how she had read my story to her children !!
Secret Staircase was the book i loved re-enacting the most. Once upon a time, i knew the entire story by heart!
on 1 December 2012
needed it to finish my collection, love her books they are so well written and illustrated, thank you so much!beautifully illustrated sweet story which can be read from small children to grown-ups Jill Barklem never disapoint. must have as a classic
on 10 June 2015
A book from my childhood that I wanted to purchase for my son. Good quality and speedy delivery.
on 11 July 2014
lovely stories. Grandchildren love them. right size book also.
on 6 September 2016
These books are just great. Trying to collect them all.
on 14 January 2017