Customer reviews

Winter Story (Brambly Hedge)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 January 2017
Brambly Hedge was possibly my best friend as a young child.
I would spend hours upon hours reading the books, and then i would re-enact them alone, finding whatever props i could in the small Paris rooftop flat i grew up in, just so i could make-believe the cosy, mellow, sweetly sensual, magical, and welcoming world of Brambly Hedge.
I dreamed of candied violets, spring flowers, sparkling ice halls, and lush summer cakes, whilst below me, the loud busy city rushed past.
My father helped me draw and write up my own Brambly Hedge story, which i then sent to Jill Barklem...and months later she wrote back, telling me how she had read my story to her children !!
In Winter Story, what captivated me the most were the evocations of cosy wintry evenings by a crackling fire, and the spectacular ice ballroom. No wonder i dream of seeing the Ice Hotel in Jukkäsjärvi, in Swedish Lapland!
on 17 May 2008
Nearly every picture has a blank spot in it - except the really small ones - and to fill them in, you have to stick the stickers in. This story is adapted from the TV animation of it all though it is not shown any more. It is a Bramley Hedge story and here is the storyline: Wilfred Toadflax was a little mouse who wanted, very dearly, to see it snow that winter. It did snow and he was very excited; so were his brothers and sisters. I have got to sliding books about some adventures at Bramley Hedge but this one is more exciting, or at least I think. I would rate this book 7/10 and would recommend it to young children who are aged three to six who like stickers - like my little brother.
on 13 November 2001
One of the best things about this book, and the other Brambly Hedge titles, is the pictures. They appear on every page in full colour, and are beautiful in every detail. Children love them because there's always something new to spot and you don't grow tired of them. The story is great fun and the mice are lovely characters.
on 25 March 2010
Winter Story (Brambly Hedge)

So glad I found this book on Amazon. Made my daughter very happy. Arrived in good condition and very prompt delivery, just in time for Christmas.
on 5 November 2012
All the Brambly Hedge books are little masterpieces of illustration. My children loved them all through childhood, and I am now buying them for the next generation, they are timeless. This is a particular favourite, the wintry illustrations of the Snow Ball and the amazingly detailed pictures of the store, and the cosy kitchen; beautifully done. A book for parents as well as children!
on 27 February 2014
this was a gift, to be one of a series for a newborn baby, birth, Easter, Christmas, 1st birthday, together with the Brambly Hedge four seasons plates.
both books were in A1 condition, well packaged and delivered promptly.
on 23 January 2013
I bought this for a friend's little girl for Christmas. I used to read these to my children when they were little and the loved the stories and the illustrations.
on 17 November 2015
I had this book as a kid. I read it every Christmas Eve and even now at 26 I still do. Such a lovely little story that makes you smile everytime.
on 22 November 2013
Perfect present for older great-grandchildren who can read. Books in which they can get .'lost' in an enchanted world..Happy reading!
on 5 February 2013
A lovely story but the text was very small and difficult to see and you are unable to alter the font size and font.