on 13 May 2017
It is a a similar story in away to the famous Collie stories a good yarn all the same
on 24 April 2017
bought as a gift for my mothers birthday
on 10 April 2017
This was a lovely edition for its age and it arrived very quickly. I was so happy to have found this book again as it is quite rare now . Thank you .
on 19 April 2017
A classic. A perfect read with my 12 year old son.
on 2 March 2012
This was my favouorite book as a child. I must have read it at least 50 times, and it isn't a short book.

For any child that ever wanted to own their own puppy - this is the book. Shadow is an immensely loveable dog with a great personality that will win you over without fail.

Some of the other dogs on the farm are so memorable that even though it has been over 15 years since I last read this I can still remember them. Grumpy Bob, Rafe - they are all there. Blyton really does capture each character so clearly that you are never in any doubt as to what their characters are like.

And as with all Blyton tales, there is a fantastic sense of adventure to every chapter.
on 25 December 2010
My mum bought me this when I was a child and I loved it because of the story of a boy and his dog being best friends, living on a farm in the countryside.

I later tracked down a much cheaper paperback copy on here so I could re-read it. This time I noticed a deeper meaning to the story. There is a big emphasis on loyalty, forgiving people for their wrongs, and then the person who has been forgiven learning their lesson.
on 4 March 2012
This book was so cherished by me as a child that when I acquired my own rough collie, the same breed as the doggy star of this book, there was no other name for him but Shadow. Like little Johnny (the human chracter in the book who owns the dog), I had a Shadow who was brave and loyal, and he was my best friend. I lost my dear dog last year, but I am so glad I stil have such a fabulous bok to pass on to my daughter when she is old enough...I will be able to read it to her and remember not only the wonderful memories of my dad reading it to me and being bewitched by the story, but also my very own Shadow. Any dog-loving young child should not be without this book, it wipes the floor with Lassie as the story is actually believable and full of heart.
on 29 April 2013
I first read this book when I was probably in 3rd or 4rth standard. Had it issued from my school library and read probably 3 or 4 times before I had to submit it back. Been searching for this book since then. A search which took me more than 26 or 27 years and finally the long lost dream came true when I found a copy of this book for sale on Amazon UK. How I longed for this book can be judged from the fact that I live in India.
The book has influenced my character and though I think my animal and in particular dog loving genes came from primarily my maternal side, the book solidified my idea to have a dog of my own. That's another thing none of my dogs are as clever or obedient as Shadow but well, that's another story. Long story cut short, I pestered my parents who finally gave me permission to have our own dog in 1990. Since then I have had 7 different dogs - each with his / her own character.
I would recommend this book quite highly for the kids as it makes them compassionate towards animals and lay the foundation of them becoming a good human.
on 22 October 2011
As a child it was my favourite book, reading it over and over again. Even today, after fifty five years it still can teach us a lot and still as enjoyable. The one thing I did forget was that Shadow was a " Lassie-type " dog and I remembered him as a Border Collie sheepdog.
on 16 January 2012
So pleased to receive a copy of this book, as it was difficult to find. I used to read this to my daughter when she was little and now at 23 she is pleased to have her own copy of it! It arrived promptly and the condition was as described.