on 10 May 2017
I'm a huge Bainbridge fan, loved The Bottle Factory Outing, The Dressmaker, Awfully Big Adventure, etc. Master Georgie is one of her historical novels, and although I read it in a couple of days, I was massively disappointed. The plot and characters fail to draw you in and the writing sometimes just seems to be clever for the sake of being clever. I hope this isn't the first Bainbridge book you read, because it will probably put you off reading her more, which would be a real waste.
on 9 February 2018
A short book full of interesting characters and how war affects their lives. And how futile war is with no winners.
on 11 January 2014
It seems that before young men had digital war games and films, they had to go and seek the real thing. This time it was the Crimea . I can't say I enjoyed the strange entanglements of the family portrayed.
on 5 September 2015
good sevice
on 25 September 2015
This is an elegant novel written with amazing clarity and brevity. It is a story of love, loss and pain with which we can all identify.
on 30 June 2011
Book club choice. Not my kind of thing, so didn't really enjoy, although well-written
on 10 November 2014
Not a book I can recommend. She is a good author.
However. the book left me dissatisfied with my choice.
on 5 April 2015
Fascinating mind set she had to write like that.
on 12 June 2015
A wordsmith, humour, no graphic smut. What a joy!
on 22 August 2015
An excellent read though not everyone likes the merging of fact and fiction.