Customer reviews

on 18 November 2008
of interest far beyond the confines of dr who enthusiasts, this is a fine example of that rare beast, a compelling biography. Studded with very funny set pieces- and if you get an opportunity to hear the audio version, you'll have them rendered in Mr Baker's stentorian tones, which add much to the effect.Fascinating, honest picture of someone still struggling to understand his place in the world.
on 9 November 1999
Like many Who fans I bought this book out of curiosity about the man who (in my opinion) was the DOCTOR. My only reason for giving the book a four crown rating (instead of five) is my disappointment in the fact that so little material in this book is related to this part of Mr. Baker's professional experience given the title and cover picture. In fact, Mr. Baker gives surprisingly little information about many of his professonal experiences (enough though to see how difficult it is to both make a decent living as an actor and to maintain one's self esteem). However, I found Mr. Baker's autobiography to be extremely engrossing if heartbreaking in parts. The author is amazingly frank (too frank?) about his deprived childhood and frailties. One wonders how the author developed so many talents given the challenges he had to overcome. The book is a tribute to Mr. Baker's resilience (and to the resilience of so many others he grew up with and worked with). I would recommend this book to adult DW fans with open minds and to those who have enjoyed other autobiographies such as Angela's Ashes.
on 17 July 1999
I've been a fan of Tom Baker my whole life, so I really was excited when this came out. I found the book very interesting, & compelling. Thank you very much, Mr.Baker.