Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 23 July 2001
Such a touching,poignant story. I have read it over and over again, but daren't any more as it makes me cry without fail, each time I do! As a test, I lent it to my hard-hearted cousin who is interested only in Kung-Fu, just to see whether it was me or just such a beautiful story...and my cousin confessed she too had cried. A haunting, beautiful story- what we all dream about...that elusive person who completes us...and the sacrifice we have the strength to make because we are whole after having known them, knowing that nothing can take away that feeling. Positively beautiful.
on 20 June 2012
This is an absolute must read for me; be warned though, as I feel this is a well established story due to the movie, I am not going to worry about potential spoilers in this review.

I read the whole thing in just over 2 hours and completely cried my heart out; big, ugly tears - and I am NOT a crier generally. There's this sensation I get when I read a really captivating romance, kind of like I'm underwater and slightly disconnected from the world around me. I hope others get the same thing, but my goodness - I felt like that here, more than I have in a long time. My heart was beating loudly the whole time. I started out knowing the basic premise - this is a 'two ships passing' kind of a story. I know my Mom loves it, and always cries at it, and to be honest, I thought it was probably a load of rubbish. As it was only a very short book, I figured I'd read it before giving her the book - like many she has only ever watched the movie and didn't realize there was a book.

I am so glad I did take the time to read it. I found the story to be quite profound and beautifully written. The fact that it is all based in adultery actually never bothered me, which I find surprising as I really disapprove of that. I think it was because I felt strongly that Francesca was not a woman in her own right, and that her family had reduced her to a functionary position, so when someone came along who saw her, I wanted her to break free. Cynics would say that Robert could have been doing exactly the same thing with women all over the world, but I believe the evidence says not.

What really got me, I think, is the authors note at the beginning, explaining that the book is based on a true story... this actually happened. Two people coming together like that for such a short time, but making such an indelible mark on the other that it could last forever. There is evidence that both Francesca and Robert remained entirely dedicated to each other, despite being separated, for the rest of their lives.

How much you enjoy this will no doubt be colored by your views on adultery, so those that feel especially strongly about that may want to skip this. However if it is in your nature to be a little forgiving then I hope you will find this to be a truly profound romance story.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2010
This is a grown up love story that is touching and passionate. It's a 4 day love affair of a photographer and housewife that complete each other. It's a small book with a powerful theme and the ending will tug at the hardest of hearts. I loved this simple, but profound story. It's a special book that deserves recognition for its beauty.
on 31 December 2000
I have read this book twice and am now about to read it for the third time.It is the only book that I have read straight through in one day.It is impossible to put it down once you have started it.It is about special love,once in a lifetime love.Love that binds two people throughout their lives even when they cant be together. If you have been fortunate enough to have met your soul mate you will definately be able to relate to this story,and if you havent,it will help you to know what having a soul mate means and how unbreakable real love is.
on 20 October 2000
This has to be one of the most touching and romantic tales ever told. A story of two middle aged people who found each other one warm summer night, who spent the rest of their lives remembering and regretting not taking their chance. This is certainly not a fairytale but a heartbreaking story of once in a lifetime love.
on 26 October 2016
For a while the book is heavy on narrative with very little dialogue. There are detailed descriptions about camera equipment that I couldn't relate to. The author is a photographer and has made that classic mistake of including detail that means something to him and other photographers but leaves myself confused.

The ending is weak, I didn't realise that I had reached the end of the story. And it's very short, 35k words, so a novella, not a novel.

I didn't enjoy it and was glad to finish it. The author isn't a bad writer, it's just not one that I enjoyed.
on 21 February 2010
Oh! how I love this story. I love the film and I love the book and have watched and read both over and over and over again!! I never, ever get tired of this story and I always wish I could change the ending! I have also read "A Thousand Country Roads" (the sequel) and again I sob for hours for what could have been! Silly? Soppy? No, just a wonderfully written, sensitive story beautifully told. Following on from this I have also downloaded all the music tracks in the film and when I hear "I'll Close My Eyes" sung by Dinah Washington then I'm reduced to a blubbering wreck all over again! Once I've seen a film I rarely read the book, and vice versa. However, this is one exception I've never regretted. If you haven't read this, you're really missing an exquisitely poignant story of two people meeting for a brief moment but their love lasting a lifetime. Oh! here I go again - pass me the tissues someone please!
on 12 October 2006
This is the most heartbreaking love story I've ever read. It's not soppy like some love stories, and it definitely wouldn't fall under the category of chick lit. It's just a small book with a big impact, and I'd recommend giving it the chance that you'll be one of the ones who loves it. If you are, you won't regret taking the chance, believe me. I think it's beautifully written... it's a quiet book, but you'll have to read it to understand what I mean by that.
on 2 June 2016
If you like weepy movies, you'll love this. The background is that a trapped housewife's family is away for four days. When a lost photographer turns up in her backyard, the trapped housewife offers to show him the place he's trying to find. To tell you the crunch point would be to spoil the story. But when you get near the end, make sure you've got Kleenex - and probably chocolate - on hand. Glad I bought this and would read again, though not sure I would go to the trouble of reading anything else by this author.
This book touched me like no other before. I have re-read it and it's just as good 2nd time around. RJW paints such a vivid picture of this truly beautiful love story. I'm just sorry it had to end.