Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

length of work out/also good for less fleixble people

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2009, 07:58:42 BST
G. Vries says:
Hey guys,

I've started doing some yoga a few months back, taking a class, and I liked it a lot. OVer the summer I've notived that as soon as there's no classes, I tend to slack off with the yoga. So I'm looking for a DVD to do yoga at home.

Reading about this one leaves me with two questions:

1. Does this DVD feature one long work-out session or are there several available? If just one or two, how long (approx.) are they?

2. A few reviews mention sitting crosslegged a lot, and the one most helpful critical review named this as "being uncomfortable". Is this the case? Do you need to be able to sit cross-legged for quite some time to follow this DVD? I have limited flexibility so this could pose quite a challenge for me.

thanks for any answers you can give me.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2009, 13:54:38 BST
Yes it IS one "workout",half an hour of v gentle warm up(cross-legged,rolling neck/body,etc) and about the same of kriyas(exercises),during all of which Maya tells you which organs/parts of the spine you are aiming to cleanse,stimulate etc.It involves a couple of fast breathing exercises,and all the kriyas have specific(normal) breathing in conjunction.It IS nearly all sitting cross-legged but there are a couple of 'legs out in front/legs wide/rowing/on all fours' exs too,and some isometrics(pressing hand on hand).I use a wedge cushion to partly sit on(my floor is uneven!) & guess you could use any supports to help you get as comfy or close to cross-legged as you can be...ankles sometimes feel the pressure but you can just keep readjusting...Maya gets you to periodically stretch out and shake your legs throughout.It isn't like normal yoga,feels easier,but doesn't mean it's any less effective.There is a short period of rest "to receive" between each ex,and tho the pace picks up a little towards the end,there is then a long "savasana"relaxation,before closing (as beginning)with a mantra.I find it certainly challenges the flexibility of my spine,from top to bottom,but you can take all of it at your own pace.Maya's presence and voice are very calming and encouraging.There are some scare stories on the internet about "awakening of Kundalini energy"causing problems for some people,but I've no idea whether this applies in any way to doing this yoga,which is a thoroughly pleasant experience.

Posted on 19 Jan 2010, 13:09:40 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Jan 2010, 13:10:36 GMT]

Posted on 15 Aug 2010, 22:10:59 BST
I have trouble sitting down in easy pose ( cross legged), so I use a Zafu-like pillow that I bought for very little money. A real Zafu is quite expensive. It's round and firm. I find out that my thighs are not properly stretched so that my weight is distributed on my ankles. I injured my ankle a few years back. I also have weak knees. This said, I have started Kundalini yoga this week and the pose is getting better and better, so I'm sure within a few months I'll be able to stay in easy pose without the pillow.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  27 Aug 2009
Latest post:  15 Aug 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about