Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > District 9 [DVD] [2009] forum

language besides english?.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Oct 2009 13:33:50 GMT
Manuel says:
language besides english?.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2009 20:59:16 GMT
Joen says:
The back cover is now available on the product page. It shows the District 9 DVD only has English (Dolby Digital 5.1) audio, with English, English for the hearing impaired and Hindi subtitles.

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 20:52:10 GMT
Thomas Swade says:
Why is this? When I buy DVDs in places like Italy and Germany I get tens of subtitles languages and about 5 audio languages. UK DVDs cost more than elsewhere yet they usually only have English language. What a load of crap. The advantage of DVD is that it's supposed to allow for more languages so why is the UK market not given this choice? All UK DVDs should at least have the following subtitle languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Hindi and Arabic

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2010 23:40:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2010 21:19:41 GMT
No other languages? That's because we're Anglos, and no English speaker ever needs to speak any other languages... World language: stands to reason, dunnit? (This is intended to be ironic, by the way.)
It's probably just local custom-and-practice: for example, you'll see subtitled foreign-language films in French cinemas (except for kids' films, obviously), but the Spanish overdub everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2010 15:01:10 GMT
I totally agree with you Thomas, you're completely right!! English, Spanish, French, German and Italian are the main languages around the world; Dutch, Polish, Hindi and Arabic people are a population that have a great presence in UK, so all these languages must be included in UK edition DVD's. Does have any way to let to know this to the Amazon UK?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2010 15:15:31 GMT
Look Murray certainly we, non-English speakers need to learn other languages, however, take into account there are many non-English speakers living in the UK (or just foreigners living in their countries) and who like to share the films with relatives, friends, etc. and it's no fair we can't do this with some films. I'm Venezuelan and I have many people around me who don't speak English and my country regretfully don't produce DVD films but we have to import them; if Amazon UK produced DVD films with a large variety of languages option, they would be able to expand their market; this has its strong point. On the other hand, I agree the variety of languages should to include only in subtitles; there's nothing better than watching a film in its original language, dubbing kills the flavour of the people's culture of the film

Posted on 23 Dec 2010 21:29:35 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Dec 2010 21:31:55 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2010 21:32:29 GMT
°Hola Luis!
My post was intended to be irony! Just to be clear, I'm strongly in favour of multiple language options on DVDs too, and I've always disliked dubbing. I always like to have a variety of languages available on my DVDs as well, and yes, subtitling is a good way of doing it.

Posted on 8 Mar 2012 01:59:07 GMT
Spider_S4TO says:
Put Portuguese ssubtitles on this!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  29 Oct 2009
Latest post:  8 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions