Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Can I install this over and over on several computers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Dec 2012, 07:46:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2012, 07:59:29 GMT
penname says:
Microsoft makes it as clear as mud, in my opinion. OEM, Upgrade, Retail, Full Version...any more cryptic and ARGUABLY MISLEADING product titles, are there?

I want a single Microsoft Windows 7 operating system that will install and run on any computer I own (I have more than one).

I want to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 as many times as I find necessary on any of my computers. Virus protection software isn't 100% effective and it is sometimes easier to just reformat the drive and reinstall everything from CD or DVD.

I want a Microsoft Windows 7 operating system that belongs to me. I don't want Microsoft's permission to use or install it. I bought the software. It's paid for with my hard earned cash. If I buy it, is it not mine? Does Microsoft own my paid-for possessions or do I?

Here's the tricky bit, though - which of OEM, Upgrade, Retail, Full Version, Blue-With-Pink-Spots, Soft Centre or Crunchy Nut version of Windows 7 achieves all of the above? What's the Secret Microsoft Code for 'you buy it, you own it'?

Posted on 13 Dec 2012, 12:04:28 GMT
The software itself you can use as many times so long as you have individual product keys for each machine you install it on. You get one product key per windows unless it otherwise says.

Posted on 14 Dec 2012, 07:55:19 GMT
penname says:
If I amalgamate those contradictory sentences, I conclude that only one of my computers will run using one purchased copy of 'Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Full Version (PC DVD)'.

So what do I buy if I want ALL of my computers to run using ONE purchased copy of 'Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate?

Posted on 19 Dec 2012, 22:53:30 GMT
the.sea says:
The "legal way" would be to purchase a Volume License Key.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2013, 13:17:09 BST
no as you can only activate it once that means you need a disc per pc with seperate serial key unless you are a business user and have applied for a license which costs extra and only permits you to install on x amount of pcs

Posted on 3 Apr 2013, 15:44:53 BST
R. Guilcher says:
as i understand your question, you want to buy a single disk which has all the necessary files to install windows. this is an option on ALL windows disks, except those supplied by a company like ASUS, Acer, Dell, (not excluding others) they tend to be specific to those machines.
What you need is an multi volume licence, which allows you to install windows on several machines from one disk. Contact microsoft for more on that.
But most windows installs will work from most computers and you CAN reuse the same code again and again... But... you will be breaking the end user licence agreement that says you will only use that code on ONE machine. And if you are caught can leave you liable to legal consequences... microsoft legal department can be quite nasty if this happens...

However, you can buy individual licence codes direct from microsoft. they are cheaper than full disk sets, but not by much. but you do get that all important sticker with the 25 digit code.

Posted on 3 Apr 2013, 16:52:03 BST
Dear r guilcher

this reply is not at all true as my windows 7 ultimate complete edition is blatantly lying if you look on the back of the box it will say 35 language packs included which is a lie as they are only available as a download through windows update and then they are only listed as optional downloads i am at the moment in communication with the office of the chairman of microsoft and one of his higher level support staff has just phoned me in relation to the faults that i have found with the software as well as many microsoft hardware devices and if you look at the place of purchase where i bought mine you will see that there is a warning stating that it is being investigated as is not as advertised so please at least have some knowledge of what i am talking about before you reply

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2013, 01:34:55 BST
lol amazon troll. aww you had the download 35 other languages your not going to use. your reply to the other guys comment means nothing to his comment.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2013, 21:19:24 BST
I'm sorry but what planet are you on as it seems you have no idea to what i am saying i have some thirty years experience i n building pc's and know them inside out and in my opinion the best of all windows operating systems is windows vista home premium just to the fact of the graphical representation as compared to the tacky basic windows 7 graphics just taking a look at control panel in vista to that of 7 is more than enough to prove it

and why are you harping on about as it states on the box that windows 7 can only be activated once even though there are 2 full versions even microsoft are not clear either as they tell me you can use it on 5 pcs but how they work this out doesnt make sense as it would mean that you can only use 1 version on 3pcs and the other on 2pcs

and a final note on the language packs it says on the box that they are included if you can read you will see this clearly stated on the back of the box printed in black and gold and is at the bottom of a list that compares what you get in relation to other versions i hope i have made myself crystal yours
Mr R J Leedham

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2013, 21:36:44 BST
Hello David

Microsoft informs me that you can install windows 7 on 5 pcs but how they work this out is not clear as there are 2 full versions this would equate to being 10 pcs i suggest you email billg at microsoft.com and see what he has to say if you word it right you should get a response from the office of the chairman from the execresp department of microsoft

Yours Mr R J Leedham
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  9 Dec 2012
Latest post:  9 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Full Version (PC DVD)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Full Version (PC DVD) by Microsoft Software (Windows 7 / Vista)
3.8 out of 5 stars (336)