Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2010, 09:05:46 GMT
Jimface says:
This drive is excellent but be aware that there might be a glitch when using iPlayer. There is a feature on the drive's hardware that causes the drive heads to park after 8 seconds of inactivity to save power and cut down wear and tear on the drive. This has the side effect of causing the hard drive light to flash and iPlayer to momentarily pause if you're using one of these drives in a PS3.

Posted on 19 Jan 2010, 05:34:30 GMT
S. Ellmore says:
Others have reported that the stuttering also occurs in games too. I bought one and was sorely disappointed - I tried everything to fix it (Including the WDIDLE firmware utility) but to no avail. I have now put my old 40GB drive back in and am looking into getting a Hitachi drive. Since Sony used Hitachi for the standard drives, it's a safer bet I would imagine.

Now I can only hope I can return the drive and get my money back. :\ (Not to Amazon, mind you... lol)

Posted on 20 Jan 2010, 22:24:45 GMT
S. Ellmore says:
For anyone who wants to know.... I managed to take the Western Digital drive back to where I bought it (PC World) and instead got a Hitachi drive - a 500GB Model No: HTS545050B9A300. For anyone interested in doing the same, PC World sell Hitachi drives under the name "Tech Guys". It sounds like a cheap unbranded harddrive, but when you open the packet it's a Hitachi drive.

This drive looks IDENTICAL to the drive that is originally in the PS3 except it says 500GB instead of 40GB. It works perfectly, no dodgy stuttering every few seconds on iPlayer anymore. Heaven!

Posted on 8 Feb 2010, 22:45:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2010, 22:48:02 GMT
J. Leakey says:
I have the same problem with my drive, to get over the stuttering, copy a 'silent' music file to your ps3 . Then before you watch iplayer play the silent music file (looped play) then watch iplayer. I know its not the answer everyone is looking for but it works. I can't take the credit for this work round, but I can't remember where I saw it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2010, 01:29:52 GMT
S. Ellmore says:
Yeah I saw that too - it was posted on the Playstation.com forums by a guy called tooms109; his post is here: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Iplayer-Stuttering-Western-Digital-HDDs-Problem-Workaround/m-p/9652365#M46888

But I wasn't happy with the idea of having to do that every time I wanted to watch iPlayer just for the sake of keeping a Western Digital drive. I would suggest if you only bought the drive recently to take it back and buy a different brand. Apparently there are no issues with Seagate drives either, so no worries there. I am really happy with the Hitachi drive. This work around gets the job done sure, but it's just unreasonable in my mind. You shouldn't need to do it.

Posted on 16 Feb 2010, 18:07:57 GMT
Naughty Boy says:
With this issue, Amazon shouldn't really be advertising this drive as 'Sony Playstation 3 compatible'.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2010, 13:18:39 GMT
Lynk says:
Hey S.Ellmore is it this one, but I found this one on amazon. It has the same model number but instead of 'B' its a 'b'

Hitachi HTS545050b9A300 2.5 Inch 500GB HDD SATA

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2010, 16:52:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Mar 2010, 16:59:20 GMT
S. Ellmore says:
Hello, O. Keane,

Yes that is indeed the drive. The B vs. b thing I don't think is anything to do with the drive, I suspect that is just how someone typed it in to the website. It's definitely the same model.

I encourage you to buy that one over the Western Digital one, definitely. I have been using mine for a while now and not a single issue.

Also, Amazon might not appreciate me sharing this, but if you shop around you can find the HTS545050B9A300 drive a good £10 cheaper elsewhere. http://www.techdepot.co.uk/ - Here for example.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2010, 23:11:15 BST
Lynk says:
Hey thanks for the reply S.Ellmore. Thats good to hear, have you ever bought from there, just need to know if its safe and trustworthy to buy from. :)

Posted on 29 Mar 2010, 00:20:50 BST
J. Leakey says:
Thanks for giving the credit to the right person S.Ellmore. This glitch is really annoying and does stop me enjoying iplayer on the ps3. I agree these drives should be removed as being ps3 compatible. Although I have no issues with games. Will be getting a Hitachi as soon as I have some spare cash.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010, 04:03:09 BST
S. Ellmore says:
O. Keane,

No, I have not purchased anything from there personally, but as far as I can make out www.techdepot.co.uk is a UK branch of the American chain www.officedepot.com. I believe it is a legitimate website, but if you don't feel comfortable ordering from there then peace of mind is probably worth £10. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010, 04:21:25 BST
S. Ellmore says:
J. Leakey,

Admittedly I only saw a couple people complain about this drive affecting games. They both said that it caused cut-scenes to stutter too. Not sure if that is true, clearly it is not the case for all games otherwise I'm sure you would have noticed it by now.

Basically, the issue is that the drive spins down when it is not in use - it's a power saving feature since these harddrives were originally intended for battery powered laptops. I'm not sure how iPlayer works, but it would seem that it caches data on the harddrive temporarily that it accesses just beyond the spin down time. That's the point of the mp3 playing in the background, to stop the drive spinning down.

So the video starts and plays uninterrupted for approx. 36 seconds --> drive spins down --> iPlayer accesses the drive --> drive spins up --> VIDEO STUTTERS --> video plays uninterrupted for approx. 36 seconds --> drive spins down again --> iPlayer accesses the drive ---> drive spins up --> VIDEO STUTTERS --> and so on...

Other video streaming services apparently do not work in the same way as they do not have this stutter issue; try watching a video on Youtube for example. Nothing - plays smooth as silk.

It's not really Western Digital's fault, the drive I'm sure works perfectly in a laptop as it was intended, but Amazon.co.uk should definitely remove the "PS3 compatible" label they've added to the product page. It's terribly misleading for people who are unaware of this problem - it's especially significant they remove it considering the WD drives are the cheapest and so people are more likely to buy them over other models already.

Might be worth dropping them an email.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010, 10:52:48 BST
Lynk says:
Ah okay, thanks for the help. *Gives thumbs up* :D
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  16 Jan 2010
Latest post:  29 Mar 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers