on 31 May 2011
Having waited impatiently for this book to be finally published for nearly three months, I was not disappointed when I finally received it. It is a very practical book and explains all that you need to know in a clear manner. The text is liberally sprinkled with little TIPS that are extremely helpful and to my mind are worth the price of the book alone!
on 11 February 2012
This book & its associated family are absolutely ideal for those new to Mac. Written in a way that anyone can understand.
on 4 December 2011
I have bought the Missing Manual (MM) books for all the bits of Apple Mac that I do not understand. I could not do without them. It is hard navigating your way through iMovie, the new Lion operating system, iPhoto etc. with NO information given to you by Apple. There are so many things hidden away in the programs that you would never know about. Mac tutorials are not comprehensive enough and easily forgotten. I have this book open beside me as I pin music to the clips, use clip trimmer, and build the movie. MM gives you honest and simple advice - you use transitions and themes with a very light hand after the advice on page 138. Very useful if you want to avoid becoming an Apple clone. This is the 8th in the MM series I have bought, and I have never regretted it.
on 21 February 2014
Bought this for my husband who was new to iMovie. The book is very clear and well written but well out of date. Unfortunately when putting things into practice the book's screen shots and instructions did not match reality. In fact the book was disappointingly confusing. Not to be recommended for those new to iMacs and/or iMovie.
on 20 May 2012
This book iMovie '11 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)makes things so much easier than trolling through the websites and fora looking for info on how to do things on iMovie. I haven't finished working my way through the whole book yet but have already learned a lot just from the first few chapters. You don't even have to read every page as you can dip in and out and find things relatively easily when you're trying to do something you haven't done before or aren't sure about. Definitely worth the money if you're new to the application and want answers quickly.
VINE VOICEon 31 March 2011
Apple has a nuisance habit of providing software that is potentially very good, but somewhat quirky - without providing even a starter guiude that is printed. Ok so stuff can be found if one wants to spend time searching, or go on their support forum, but there is nothing like an overview guide that also goes a lot deeper.

This book does the job admirably and I'm learning a lot from it.

The version I bought was the Kindle edition as the printed version was not then available and, anyway, I'm running out of shelfspace.

The ability to read it synchronised across my iMac, Windows 7, iPad and iPhone is SUCH a boon!

I may not buy a printed manual again because with the Kindle version, I can have the book on screen as I work. I can also read it in bus queues, doctor's surgeries, while waiting to pick up the grandchildren from school etc, etc.

A well-recommended book and I will certainly buy more of the series - on Kindle.
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2012
The majority of the content deals with iMovie '11 and is very helpful when, as I was, moving from a PC and a Windows based video editor to Apple software. The iDVD section of the book is of no value to me because Apple removed the iDVD software from the newest version of their Operating System, Mountain Lion.
on 6 November 2013
Movie building on the Mac can be a complicated business, often not using all the tools available. But this book is a god send, If I were to say the only down point for me, its that it does not have a 'start' it does not work A through to Z. It has an expectation that you have a basic knowledge of iMovie. That aside every thing you will need to know and more is here.

Using screen shots to illustrate points made, and a comprehensive index, This guide will take you from being a movie taker, to film producer. This is not a small book being 516 pages of content. Worth every penny.
on 17 January 2013
This manual recommends running i Movie '06 alongside to get Print Tape Option. I managed to find '06, but found it won't work with Mountain Lion
on 4 March 2013
Excellent book. Has all the tips and hints I've been looking for. I thought it was a bit expensive but it's worth every penny. Well laid out. The only thing I would caution against is - I bought the kindle version first but it's not easy to navigate and I personally prefer to have an instruction manual in book form, so I now have a hard copy and a kindle, making it very expensive but that was my own fault. There are not many books I would double up on but this book is one.