Style: 788 USB Gaming Headset without Game Download Voucher for PC|Change

on 26 August 2016
SUMMARY:
I originally purchased a GameCom 780, similar specifications but different aesthetics, and it just worked perfectly. The reason I am here purchasing another of these is due to my 780 breaking due to wire tangling, after a year of usage, may I add. (that was arguably my fault!)

POSITIVES:
- Bargain price, seriously, you will not find a better price/performance for this type of headset.
- DOLBY Surround Sound is incredible! I can hear everything that I need to.
- Comes with a microphone too, BONUS!
- More aesthetically pleasing than previous model.
- Fits onto head.. nothing too tight or loose!
- Comfortable design, not too light or heavy.

NEGATIVES:
- Wire is beginning to tangle but this time I have knowledge on my side to counter it!
- Red isn't my favorite color.. (PERSONAL PREFERENCE)

VERDICT: 5/5
"If you need a 7.1 surround sound headset that has the best price/performance and is relatively appealing visually then by all means. GET IT! My experience with Plantronics has been positive and hopefully this review will convey my positive experience with this company." - Scott

**THANK YOU FOR VIEWING THIS REVIEW - PLEASE UPVOTE THIS REVIEW IF IT HAS HELPED YOU, ANY QUESTIONS I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP!**
on 5 April 2015
Bought these about 10 months ago. They were awesome, sounded great and were a real advantage when playing online games. Also, the ability to switch between Music and Game mode was pretty cool. However, I have now just went to put the headset on and the right earpiece has snapped off! Hanging on by the wire! I literally put minimal force into handling them, have never dropped them before and it snapped.. Felt like great build quality all these 10 months but seems not very durable at all.. Disappointing to say the least and broke at a completely awful time as I was in the process of purchasing a new PC. Lame.
review image
33 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2014
This is possibly the comfiest headset I've ever used. I did have to reset all of my audio levels, but this was simple. Good quality mic and sound output. Imaginative place to put the volume and mic controls. (Left earcup) - My only slight letdown (which is easy to get past) is the length of cable. I don't sit at a desk. All you desksitters should be fine for the length that the cable is.
on 29 March 2016
I've had a set of these for years, absolutely love them. The controls are really intuitive and the lack of bulk part-way down the cable to house them is very nice. Sound quality is also excellent even before you turn on the Dolby 7.1, which is surprisingly competent at upscaling 2.0 and 5.1 audio. This purchase I'm reviewing is actually a set I bought for my stepdad as the soundcard in his laptop stopped working so even 3.5mm speakers/headphones don't work - these work perfectly and he's very happy with them, both for youtube/on-demand TV and games like Angry Birds. The price is perfect for the features and quality, and Amazon's delivery was speedy as usual. I really can't think of any demerits at all.
on 16 December 2015
The sound quality from the headset and its mic is very good, and they are comfortable for long periods of time, however the band across the top of the headset snapped after about 8 months, making the headset unusable. One of the ear cups now hangs off the audio cable. Only buy these if you are prepared to invest in a new pair after they break apart.
review image
on 28 November 2016
I love the sound of these headphones! the surround sound feature is great for simulation games, and with the feature turned off, for things like listening to music or speaking to friends, the audio is super crisp! The sound does leak a bit, but that's typical of over-ear headphones. The microphone is obviously not as bassy and high quality as a stand-alone mic, but it sounds great, and is awesome at picking up your voice, and not surrounding sound. I used to own another plantronics gamecom headset which lasted for a very long time until I broke it which was completely my fault, so I can also confirm that they are very durable and last a long time :)
on 18 November 2016
Had a pair of these before but lost them when moving house. They work great for FPS. Work in Windows 10 and Bootcamp on a Mac. Also plug n play on a MacOS Sierra. Windows Drivers are a little fiddly to get installed if you have to have them (I have two PC's) but I found setting them up as 5.1 using windows 10 gave positional sound for FPS like footsteps behind you so not sure I needed the drivers at all. Sturdy things and fit around my above average ears perfectly.
on 15 April 2015
I actually took the risk of buying this headset refurbished off Amazon. It arrived in a box without the retail packaging, but the headset is in perfect condition as though it's never been used before, I couldn't be happier for only paying £30.

COMFORT / BUILD QUALITY: The build quality of the headset is pretty decent. Most of the casing is made up of plastic with a metal frame going through the middle. Whilst the materials are nothing fancy or premium they do hold together well and of course keep the price to a minimum. I feel like I could easily drop the headset and it wouldn't break, the only part which feels a little feeble is the headrest which a few other reviews have mentioned snapping after a while. I think if you look after them well you shouldn't have any problems though. The buttons built into the ear cup are also extremely handy and let you control volume with ease as well as mute your mic on and off. You can also toggle the Dolby virtual surround sound using a button which glows blue when turned on.

The comfort of the headset is adequate but not the best I've ever experienced. At first the headset feels quite tight and after a short period of time your ears do get a bit hot due to the fabric material on the ear cushions. I'd like to have seen leather being used instead if it were my choice. The head rest however is very comfortable and slightly softer than the ear cushions, and overall the 788's don't feel too heavy on the head.

SOUND QUALITY: The sound this headset produces is very good for the price. Whether or not you want to use the Dolby virtual 7.1 surround sound is up to you, personally I find stereo audio actually sounds better for certain media. The surround sound (which does require driver installation from their website) makes audio seem somewhat echoed. If for example I'm listening to music with surround sound on, it feels like the band is playing the music in the same room with me, as though the sound is bouncing off walls. With standard stereo turned on the music is less echoed and more 'precise'. Personally I prefer the surround sound a little bit more, but I can see some people preferring the stereo setting.

For gaming the sound does a good job and directional audio works very well. Explosions are a little more 'tinny' with surround sound on, but overall it feels a lot more immersive with it turned on and I'd happily sacrifice explosion quality for the directional atmosphere.

MIC QUALITY: The microphone is extremely good, one of the best features of the 788's. My voice is picked up very clearly and there are no noticeable popping sounds. Even with the mic sitting to the side of your face it stills picks up speech very well and even whispering works. The best feature about it is the mic-muting. I stood at my door (about 3 meters from my headset) and could barely hear my voice being picked up in the recording, even whilst speaking at normal volume. I then moved into the next room and downstairs, and even whilst raising my voice the mic never picked up the background speech, so you don't have to worry about intruding family members speaking down your mic. Unfortunately however my mouse clicks and keyboard can be heard over the mic, although you won't find many microphones at this price range which drown out keyboard mashing.

Overall the headset is really good for the price and very easy to setup and use. I'd highly recommend it.
on 27 November 2016
I've tried many other more expensive headsets, but this one is by far the best in sound quality. The dolby 7.1 makes the sound a lot better, but this headset breaks easily.

It's also not very comfortable for wearing long hours as the ear cups feel like they're sqeezing against my ears. I have tried HyperX Cloud II which is much more comfortable to wear for long hours, but the sound quality is inferior to this one.
on 7 December 2016
I am really satisfied.
The sound quality is really good for the price level and they are really comfortable to wear as they are big enough to cover my ears without putting any pressure on them, I also wear glasses and I do not get any discomfort because of that.
The 7.1 surround software does a pretty good job as you can always say which direction a sound is coming from.
The usb cable is long enough to avoid any trouble also when you are not close to your PC case, it is also connected to only one side of the headset (second speacker is internally wired) solution that I find more comfortable.
Microphone does a pretty good job as well but I do not use it so often, so I can't be more specific here.
The building materials are not great but they are robust and that is what you need.
At the end of the day I can only recommend the product as there are no cons with it.