Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£16.44

on 14 April 2016
I purchased this book as it was the current book for my reading group and I loved it, it may not be historically brilliant but I enjoyed the story line and the characters. It has been clearly written by an American author and it may have been a good idea for a little more research to have been done into the language etc that was used at that time in Britain, but having said that it is a work of fiction and should be read as such. It is very gory and is not for anybody who does not like that kind of content. I found the book difficult to put down as I was desperate to know what was coming next. I will certainly read the sequal and will also read the prequels to this.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and thought it was well written with a convincing plot and interesting characters. I was much less keen on the second one in the series and I'm afraid I couldn't get on with this one at all. There are far too many gory descriptions for my taste and the plot didn't convince me.

Inspector Day - who was an interesting character in the first book in the series has suddenly become something of a cardboard cut out and his wife, Clare didn't seem the same either. This book was a huge disappointment to me and I shan't be reading any more books in this series.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for review purposes
on 28 July 2015
Couldn't get on too well with this for some reason. Everything seems a bit drawn out and pedestrian. Couldn't warm to the characters either. I usually like historical crime novels and this story of Police Inspector chasing escaped criminals seemed promising. Trouble is it seems to take too long to get going and contains unneccesary sub plots. Don't think I'll read any others in the series.
on 17 August 2014
A terrifying trawl through the dark side of Victorian London and a grisly encounter with Jack The Ripper make this a proper page turner, though there's one major plot loophole in the middle - read the book and see if you can spot it! Still highly recommended, it's compelling reading and a worthy successor to Grecian's two previous "Yard" novels.
on 28 July 2015
Actioned packed and a great read. May not be accurate historically but it is fiction and I read to be entertained not educated. Maybe those who want historically accurate reads should try non fiction instead. Ending was great and made me want the next title. Loved the fact that time was taken out of the main story to focus on thd development of Days family I found it added to the suspense in the story itself.
on 11 August 2015
Childishly weak story line, but if you like lots of descriptions of blood and gore with no plot this is for you. I wouldn't even give this book to a charity shop I put it in the bin - nasty and doesn't deserve the good reviews listed on the back. What's happened to this writer? His first book, the Black Country I think it was called, was really good but this was just awful.
on 6 May 2016
A fast paced yarn through the streets of London with the unluckiest police duo in history; Day and Hammersmith. They face not only escaped convicts, of whom one remembers them and the vile, sickly disturbed Jack the Ripper. All of whom come together in the most unlikely yet gripping of stories .
on 26 June 2015
Gore, in some instances, is acceptable. In this novel is appears to be gore just for the sake of gore.

Missing in action is any character development but that could be because I did not read the first two books of this series. What little sense I got of the main character, Walter Day, was not very complimentary or engaging. I got nothing about Scotland Yard's `Murder Squad' that I could relate to.

Pages and pages are devoted to Day's wife Claire giving birth at home which seemed unnecessary given the main story line.

A most implausible plot - Jack the Ripper on the loose again, narrating his side of this story; some inane dialogue between Jack and Walter Day; grisly details everywhere and you have a ridiculous story with nothing to redeem it.
on 3 September 2014
I really didn't rate this, which is a shame as I really enjoyed the first two and was subsequently very much looking forward to this one. It was very gory in parts, really gory, which the first two were not. I was also puzzled by some of the language, which was a bit crass in places, not me being prude, but it just wasn't contextually appropriate; it felt odd, very out of place. In fact, it read a bit like it was written by someone trying to emulate Alex Grecian. The plot was very week, and, while I appreciate that it IS fiction, this was TOO far-fetched. There was also no mystery to it, no sense of 'whodunit'. There's also a strangely out of place subplot with Day's wife's pregnancy, which seemed to exist solely to provide a break from the main story. It's very rare that I give up on a book, but I came close with this one, but I stuck with it as I hoped there would be a really satisfactory conclusion, but there was no pay-off at all! None. Really disappointing.
on 26 August 2014
Once again ok found myself immersed in the lives of Day and Hammersmith. I read this book in less than 10 days I needed to know what was going to happen. No disappointment as usual gripped from beginning to end. Thank you.