Colour Name: Blue|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 June 2015
A nice radio, a shame it doesn't work! A very nice looking alarm radio and a quality feel. Unfortunately, I've had to request a return and refund. As with many other reviewers the radio intermittently cuts out on all DAB channels. I live 3 miles from and in line of sight of the Crystal Palace transmitter so quality of signal is not an issue. Also, I tried it both on battery and mains but the issue remained. I have 3 other DAB radios in the house (2 Pure and a Roberts) and they all work fine, so I'm afraid this radio is a dud which is a shame.

The other issue is the buttons which work, at best, intermittently which is very annoying.

Sound quality on the other hand (given the cost and size of the radio) is very good.

So, disappointing , not a radio I can recommend. Better build quality and it would be great, especially for the price. As it stands, I'd rather pay an extra £10 or so for something that works!
I'll update this review once the seller TotallyGadgets responds (or otherwise) to my return/refund request.........

UPDATE (15/6/2015). Well I got a prompt refund from TotallyGadgets and an email asking me to withdraw my 2* feedback! I really dislike sellers asking me to change honest feedback when they've just sent me something that doesn't work. It's not as if I'm a one off case, see the other reviews!
on 2 August 2015
I have very mixed feelings about this Kitsound Radio . In some respects it is probably the best visual display that I have seen on ANY radio of similar type AND in this price category.. indeed it is vastly better than quite a few of the really well-known radios which are usually of 3 or 4 times the price and have relatively poor 'spindly' type displays unlike the Kitsound which has a really solid and excellent display - chooseable in style and content too.
The main feature which is as yet driving me utterly crazy is that no matter how I try, I just cannot get it to come on in Alarm mode at the SAME level of volume as it was when turned off !!.. set it to a low bedroom level for listening and EVERY morning it will finish up at almost maximum level..AND in the usual low light of most bedrooms I'm sure... it is difficult to say the least, to reach out and lower the sound level....that is IF you can at such time find by touch the very uncertain correct button to press in order to reduce Volume!...It really is frustrating - apart from the Setting-up.. even following the instructions it is not at all easy. The Instructions are in fact badly written and to many people I'm sure , they are not at all easy to get right.
Altogether it really can be an excellent little bedroom radio and as said, it is in fact better in many way to quite a few of the "big" names in similar radios..which may well be a lot easier in use but many of which have quite a second-rate display for the quality and price they are.
Less than top marks to Kitsound on this one.. PLEASE do try to get it a bit better in the few ways that are irritating and disappointing.
I would heartily recommend you purchase this if you are the kind of person who thrives on being thrown into an irritable rage first thing in the morning and last thing at night, otherwise, it is best avoided.
My previous FM Radio Alarm Clock finally gave up the ghost after 20 years faithful service and much hungover abuse. After taking to the joys of having a Pure One digital radio in the kitchen, it seemed logical to stump up a bit more cash & bring DAB to the bedside arena. I have now lived with this thing for several frustrating & arduous months and come to the conclusion that it needs a serious redesign.
Let's start fairly positively, and then slide into despair... The sound is actually pretty good considering it's a small speaker, the build is good, sturdy and sleek.
The buttons... CLICK CLACK!!! I know, it sounds stupid, but these buttons will grind you into a weeping pulp of tired timidity. They're so loud and you have to press them so many times to make the damn thing do what you want it to. The placement of the 'Scan' button right next to the 'Standby' button is a fail. Inevitably one hits the Scan button instead of the Standby button and then you sit for 2 minutes staring at the blighter whilst it performs its task and lands on a channel you don't care to hear. You can't set the alarm whilst you're listening to the radio. So, you go to turn the radio off to set the alarm but in a sleepy haze hit the Scan button instead... *Cue rising rage* When the radio alarm comes on in the morning the volume ramps up quite quickly to incite a mild morning panic as you struggle to hit the right button. Occasionally it will pick a random station for you to wake up to as well, just to add a little spice. There is no option to turn this stupid ramping function off either. The signal strength is poor, producing many dropouts, usually at a crucial listening point in a fascinating feature one has settled into with a glowing warmth of peaked interest. I tested this against my Pure One DAB radio in the same place just to check and it had no dropouts whatsoever.
Get this...the clock doesn't tell the time when the radio is on! Yep. The screen gives off the kind of light that sleep science boffins preach not to look at before going to bed. It's the equivalent of a smartphone screen with the brightness on full, in fact, so bright I've made a little cover for it...
I like the company ethos and blurb of KitSound, they're all musicians with a passion for what they do, I'm a musician, they're kindred spirits surely! I thought..."It must be good".... I so wanted it to fulfil my bedside dreams, instead it broke my nighttime spirit... Please KitSound, take it back to the drawing board.
on 30 March 2016
Love it, great sound from such a bland looking unit, this unit just feels right as my bedside alarm clock... it does the job as intended with 2 Alarms and you can choose which mode wakes you up, the sound increases from low to high so you are not woken suddenly with the sound blaring and being DAB the time is linked and automatic so its always correct even when changing to BST. The Snooze button is easy to find when half awake and you can dim the display.
on 24 July 2014
This is ok as far as DAB alarm clock radios go.
Good points - The size isn't too big so it fits nicely on the bedside drawers and isn't too overpowering (still room for a lamp and book etc). The alarm clock does the job of waking me up (which is no mean feat as I am a heavy sleeper). The look is simple and sleak and the black is quite matt which I quite like.
Bad points - Unfortunately the bad points are with the DAB radio. The sound quality is not great. I have a DAB radio that has better sound quality. The signal strength isn't great either, which could be to do with where in the house it is (I'm not sure). When I move around the bedroom past it it has a tendency to drop the signal and go silent for a few seconds.
on 27 July 2014
Really great radio for the price. Not found any issues in dropping and found the build quality to be really good! Really impressed.
on 2 September 2015
I was a little disappointed when it arrived. The tuning is simple but getting the stations to save is a chore and not always successful. However the low point is the speaker which is rubbish. Using head phones resolved the issue but this is not ideal. The buttons are a bit small and fiddly, if like me you have large fingers.
on 22 May 2015
I bought this as I had some vouchers to use up so a lovely little freebie for me. I have read some of the other reviews which are not so good, I put batteries in and it kept cutting out then I realised batteries not the best so I run on mains electric it works perfectly. Small and compact in size sits on top of the fridge in the kitchen so perfect stations for us old wrinkly rockers who can tune into loads of stations and do a bit of headbanging whilst cooking the tea. It is a budget priced item so bearing this in mind the sound is fine and crisp, I am well pleased with this item and have no hesitation in recommending it.
on 9 August 2014
When alarm is set and radio comes on the volume starts of low and then rises to what sounds like maximum with no way of changing the volume to your own personal setting. Not good if like to get your eardrums blown of in the morning. Also keeps dropping dab signal. Pity, design and build quality is pretty good!
on 11 December 2014
Have this over a month now. Sound quality fine and looks good but everything else wrong with this. Buttons rubbish. Can be difficult to navigate, especially as buttons stick. It glows during the night so if you like the dark, you'll not like this. Disappointed. UPDATE. Almost had this a year. Product doesn't work. It cuts out every few seconds. Will ask for a refund and return the product. Only good thing about this is the look. I have a KS toolbar and I like their stuff and what they are trying to do. Unfortunately they have failed with this one.