on 24 November 2014
Awesome value for the price. A quality screen that's pin sharp in anylight, and in full widescreen for movies. The big keyboard is utra comfortable, and with the 8gb ram very multiple application friendly.
on 14 January 2015
I wanted a 17 in screen to aid my photography editing. I had a 15 in Samsung with W7 that [a] had a poor quality screen for photo work [b] was very slow, having progressively slowed down following purchase over 2.5 years ago. I saw this on sale after Christmas, around £350. A steal for a 17 in screen machine, I thought. I don't need lots of horsepower for games and don't edit very large RAW files, which do take some power to handle. I don't like the Apps interface, but don't use it. I have deleted most of the Apps; have changed it so it boots to desktop; and added the programs toolbar (equivalent to 'Start, Programs, All programs' but accessed from the toolbar). This machine boots to log-in in around 15 seconds. From log-in to desktop is about 5-10 seconds; virus update is about 5-10 secs. After that, it's good to go. So, it's no longer than 30 secs in total before you can start working. This is very fast when compared to my previous machine, which took ages after log-in to find wireless and then more time to update virus checker and load services. Probably near 3 mins before I was able to start work. I just hope it doesn't slow as before. I think this is a stunningly good value machine that is perfect for what I want. The screen is absolutely lovely. Highly recommended.
22 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
17 INCHES
=========
I have never said, "size isn't everything."
Really!
This is a whopper in terms of laptops. Others will look over your shoulders and gasp at the size of the screen. And the quality of the screen? It's better than awesome. It's also a screen that's easy to read in daylight.

START UP
========
Not particularly fast. But then again not too slow. So, it's OK. About 15 seconds I think. (I'd time it again but I'm writing this review on it.)

STYLISH
=======
Hmmmmnn the blurb says, "distinctive design." I'd certainly say it looks like a well designed, nice looking laptap. Not distinctive though. It looks like most laptops: rectangular.

SPEED
=====
This is where I though it was better than many laptops. Speedy. Able to handle multitasking. With ample storage.

VALUE
=====
A value laptop, when considering the spec, style, and speed I think it's superb value.
11 Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2015
Laptop started out slow right from the beginning, initially put it down to being crammed with bloatware as with most laptops. Uninstalled all the bumfluff and it still runs like an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping. Having seriouslybad performance with regards to connecting to wireless routers, of all kinds, tried it in numerous configurations. ON top of that, laptop freezes every now and then and the GPU crashes right in the middle of a soft shutdown. This is not on.

Icing on the cake? Being told by seller to perform a manual factory reset....like I was even given disks to reinstall... great idea. Told to contact manufacturer, Instead of getting a full, apologetic refund like I should be getting. The damn thing is so unstable I dare not take it off my desk, which defeats 99% of the point of a laptop.

ADDED NOTE - Do not buy from Mobile Phone Island, as once I returned the item, they are trying to charge me a fee of nearly 130 quid despite the damn thing not being fit for purpose!
on 15 October 2014
Nice laptop.
I use this mostly for work and the extra screen size helps with things like spreadsheets, looking at drawings, etc. I got the W8 changed so it looks similar in appearance to W7 which suits me a lot better than the standard from of W8. Once I changed the function of the F keys to what everything on the internet says they should do, instead of what all laptop manufactures seem to want them to do these days (why change the functions ???) I am more than happy with the laptop. The battery lasts longer than any of my other laptops, its fast enough for me, I'm not bothered by the sound if its low. Overall great purchase, good value.
on 18 February 2015
Very good Laptop nice big screen had bought for my mum, but she never got to see it as i must have got a bad batch, as when i first put it on and had to run Windows Update it wasnt able to update a good few updates, it came up as failed but there was no option to try and update again..then after two weeks the Apps just stopped working i couldnt open any... i ran a Microsoft fix it and it came up with corrups or missing service registration.. which iv no clue about but thought a two week laptop should not be having so much problems, also only App that would open sometimes was store App but it failed to install any Apps, but Amazon was really good and gave refund, now saying all that if there had been another laptop the same i would have taken it, as i do believe i was just unlucky with that laptop, but i had to order a different one... 8.1 windows have been getting bad reviews, but for anyone that doesnt know in October they will be coming out with windows 10 because of all the complaints, and they are giving a free update to windows 10 for free for a whole year to people with windows 7 and windows 8.1, so that is why i will buy another 8.1.
on 22 September 2014
Very well made with a great screen. The built in speakers are quite quiet, but I have my Logitech speakers plugged in and the sound is remarkably good. A usb3.0 port and a large HDD top off the specs nicely.
It also plays some 3d games well. I'm currently playing Far Cry 2 with no problems.
on 5 October 2014
Buying this was a big mistake. And totally my fault as I looked for a cheap option with a good brand. Computer is OK if you want emails and maybe look at BBC Online but try and watch videos, listen to music, in other words anything more than basic and it crashes. Won't make the same mistake again
on 9 September 2014
It may not be "desktop fast", but the screen is huge for a laptop and the keyboard is good. As usual on a laptop, need to turn off the trackpad "tap" as it is far too sensitive and the "side swipe" controls for Windows 8. 1st impressions are good though.
on 19 October 2014
Very good laptop; Nice big screen, great keyboard and easy set up. Windows 8.1 takes a bit of getting used to after XP, but I'm even starting to like that now ! One big plus for me is that it runs cool and quietly as I use mine a lot for working. Excellent for the price !
33 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse