on 28 May 2014
Reviewing the series as a whole here...

A decent Dan Brown-esque holiday read. The plot gets convoluted at times, the series ticks just about every major cliche in existence, and in many respects it is questionably written. The romance angles in particular are like something out of a teenage romance novel and the dialogue at times is just awful. I struggled to believe the development of the main relationship just because it happened so quickly and was handled so clunkily, with both parties acting like lusty teenagers despite being in the middle of a war. The main alien enemies in the book are not explored deeply enough, with them really only emerging in the latter half of the last book so we never really identify with them as a huge threat.

The story does jump around a lot between geographies and characters, so if that tends to bother you bear it in mind (any Game of Thrones fan should be desensitized to that!).

Like so many other books these days, these novels make me question this current obsession with trilogies. It seems to me that the author decided he wanted a trilogy and then wrote his story to fit that structure, with not enough substance to justify it. The story sags at times, particularly the first half of book 2, and it could no doubt have been trimmed to make it a much more gripping story.

SMALL SPOILER ALERT HERE...

Similarly, I actually felt at the end that the author had short-changed me as a reader. I was expecting revelations and theories on the actual origin of the human race. But we don't get that, we only get a story on how the human race evolved from early stage, but not where it came from in the first place. This would have been a much more interesting and challenging angle.

That said, I wouldn't have bought all three books if I was not in some part enjoying them. There is a good sci-fi story in here, with some interesting uses of historic events and if you want a belief-suspending beach read for summer you could no doubt do a lot worse.
on 24 August 2014
This is the third book in the series. Overall I have to say the series was very good and excellently written. Book 1 took a little getting used to as the plot developed, but I was into it by the time i reached halfway. The first half of book 2 was very plodding in my view and a bit of a struggle. I'm glad I persisted though and by the time I reached halfway it picked up really well. Book 3 was a good read from start to finish. Well done AGR. I liked the storyline behind this trilogy and hope the writer carries on with similar themes.
on 21 October 2014
okay this book was not what I expected. it was much much better.it really kept me guessing right to the final few pages. I did not expect this final book in the trilogy to grip my attention so completely. most of the action takes place in outer space for fans of star was and star trek it is similar but not the same. if you are into sci-fi space this is one for you, but I do recommend you buy all 3 books and read them in order. just one question what happened to Milo. I loved his unassuming character reminded me so much of the Dara larma I could almost see that enigmatic smile and total peace behind his eyes. a fantastic piece of fiction, cannot wait to read more of his writing. thank you.
on 25 July 2014
Well that's the trilogy over with.what an absolutely fantastic read. The whole background story of the Atlanteans and Ares, provides a clear view and reasons behind everything from the first two books. What I found interesting, was this book made me completely change my opinion about a particular character, when I learned the they were just a tool in all of the events. I would love to see further stories involving the Atlantis gene. Well done again Mr Riddle.
on 19 January 2016
This is the final book in the series and it's different from the others in as much as it's set a space age future. Gone are the historical references. The reader has to go with the story most of which is set in outer space.

Story: Sci-fi based, complex and compelling.

Characters: Interesting and well developed .

Writing style: Well written, easy to read. It flowed well.

If you're a Stars Wars fan then this would appeal.

I throughly enjoyed reading the Atlantis series from the historical facts that were intermingled with fiction to the futuristic space wars.

Recommended.
on 8 October 2015
I enjoyed the Atlantis trilogy, the story is good and very imaginative. One criticism is that there is a lot of scientific theory in there, a lot of which I didn't follow, also quite a bit of history, however much of this is quite interesting.
Spelling wise it is pretty good, there is the occasional error - eg "it honed in on her" rather than homed in, but not so many that its annoying.

What I really liked is that author managed to keep it to 3 books, so many series these days just go on and on, artificially padded out seemingly just to get more money from book sales.

Mr Riddle has another book coming shortly which I will definitely look out for after the quality of this series.
on 8 June 2015
For me it was a long trilogy where solutions to problems would just happen and, although obviously this is fiction, did not seem credible. They were contrived to move the story on and get the character out of a situation that went beyond stretching your imagination.

I continued to read in the hope of an improvement but unfortunately time could have been better spent. This book has had good ratings but for me the style in which the author 'saves the day' as events unfold or characters are going to die but the near-impossible happens makes the trilogy forced in its story-telling and breaks the bubble of the world he is trying to create in your mind.

This trilogy in the end was not for me.
on 16 May 2014
I could hardly wait to read this third book and I was not disappointed. Everything came together and the ending was just perfect. This is a trilogy which I will pick up and read again. The only other book I've done that with has been Lord of the Rings - can't say better than that. Get working Gerry - looking forward to your next book.
on 18 June 2016
I read this trilogy all in one go therefore, it is quite difficult to differentiate between each one. Atlantis World did not meet my expectations which were a kind of Star Trek type adventure where the characters were meeting 'Ailens' from other planets. However, part -3 did not disappoint me. In fact I think it was better. I loved the ambiguity of time (- you'll have to work that one out for yourself I don't give spoliers.)

Riddle said in an interview that he's rather a small group of people loved the novel rather than everyone liking it. I do agree that it isn't for everyone and unless you are completely sucked into the story you probably won't enjoy it.
on 7 July 2015
A gripping end to a gripping trilogy but PLEASE read these in order or you will make your brain hurt. The final pages of this book give you the back story but without the context of the first two books - my guess is that it would be terribly confusing. As before there is NO bad language in this episode which proves just what a good writer Mr Riddle is, so while he gets on writing his next books, I will catch up on food and sleep as I just couldn't stop reading, right from the beginning of The Atlantis Gene.