Size: 15''-17'' (2 Fans)|Change

on 17 September 2014
After purchasing a couple of cheap ones here on Amazon to run on my disco laptops which work fine. I got this one for the home Laptop and what a difference! silent and smooth, more robust but be careful of the angle, the laptop slides off! I have it on a gorilla laptop stand and had to put a couple of "stops" in the top mesh to stop the slow slide. Brilliant, worth the cash, now my friend ordered one of these... The fans seem to run a little slower with bigger blades keeping the noise to a minimum, I have a "cool" laptop :)
on 22 October 2014
I have had a few laptop fans, and the majority aren't that well built and hardly keep the laptop temps down. This one is actually very solid, and works really well.

I use this fan for my gaming laptop, as its overclocked it produces much more heat. Subsequently I need to keep it cool, it is easily keeping my laptop at 27 degrees idle, and max temps reach is about 60 with this.

Really recommend this, better than others by a mile.
on 23 June 2015
The Avantek CP172 Laptop Fan Pad Is Just Plain Awesome.

Starting with the box, it came well packaged and presented with a usb to usb cable. The pad is high quality, it has a metal mesh on the top which is clever because the fans make lots of cold air so the metal also gets cold and that cools every inch of your laptop. The Fans are gigantic, but extremely quit, the blue led is also a nice touch. Its really easy to setup, just plug in the usb cable in the laptop and flick the red switch and they power on and push cold air to your laptop, the pad has 2 usb ports so you can plug other accessories. The hole thing is really light so its ideal for usage on your lap and also is great for summer if your really hot. There is a massive difference with the fans, my laptop gets extremely hot and these fans managed to keep it cold and i mean cold, the bottom was cool and not hot and discomforting to the touch, it does its job well. Overall i really recommend this to anyone with a laptop, it expands the time that you can have your laptop on your lap.

Check Out My Video:
review image
Ideal Bed Companion
===================
I often have the laptop propped up on the bed when we're watching a film or catching up on iPlayer. Occasionally the laptop has become so hot that you can feel it through the quilt. Once or twice the laptop has turned itself off as it's become too hot. (Normally at an interesting part in the film.)

COOL AND QUIETISH
=================
This is a rather nice cooling device. As you can imagine, you simply locate the pad under the laptop and, Hey Presto! a cool laptop. You know it's on as it's not silent but it's reasonably quiet-ish.

THE BLUE LEDS
=============
I think these look cool. My wife disagrees. I think they make it look a little sci-fi. She thinks it makes it look garish.

RECOMMENDED
===========
For the price I think it's a handy little gadget.
on 11 May 2016
I purchased this to replace a Targus cooling pad, which had seen better days. And, overall, I am impressed.

I am using the pad with a 17" (i7) Dell. The cooling capability is first rate; so much so that I felt my arms being cooled as well! As regards the so-called 'annoying lights', for me there is no issue at all. Yes the fans (2) are quiet, but not exceptionally so. Yes the metal mesh does allow some movement of the laptop to take place when set at an angle, but frankly it is minimal. In reality the pad fits my laptop perfectly. In terms of its primary function (to cool) , I rate this pad very highly. On the negative side, the placement of the 'switch, light and spare USB' at the rear is a poor design choice. It makes ready access a non-starter. It would have been much more sensible to have located the switch and light on the side, at the very least. A minor grumble, but worth raising in my view.

Worth buying at this price? Definitely.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2015
I have a 17-inch laptop and it fits it perfectly. I have had 2 other makes of laptop cooler before this one and so far this is the one I have been happiest with. The two large fans do a much better job than the others I have used before due to the fans being better situated and there being two of them. I had a Belkin cooler before this and it was pretty much a waste of time because it had a small fan in the center and nowhere near the part of my laptop that tended to get hot, this, however, is not the case with the Avantek. Although it is not perfect it is a vast improvement on others.

It has a quiet operation compared to my previous cooler too. I would have given it 5* if it wasn't for the fact that you have to switch it off via a switch at the back of it every time you have finished using it. It is much easier if you just have to unplug it from the USB port. What I like about this cooler is that my laptop feels secure on the pad. When I was using the Belkin it had a tendency to slip off. There are also two feet in the base if you wish to have the pad at a bit of a tilt or flat depending on your needs. Very Happy with it.
on 29 November 2015
First hour of using it I was so impressed.... I had one years ago (different make, company blah blah) and this laptop cooler works perfectly. The bottom of my laptop was nice and cool which shouldn't have surprised me but because my laptop got so hot before I was expecting it to be a little warm but no this cooler works perfectly. Money well spent I think
on 18 January 2015
I set up the laptop cooler with the laptop on top and the first think I hear is this mechanical noise from the left fan, most probably unbalanced. Not a good first impression. Although, the short time I used it the SpeedFan software showed a 10 C less temperature. I take it as bad luck and will give a second chance.

Update 21/01/2015. I got a swift reply and reaction from bot Amazon UK and Avantek. Avantek sent me a replacement cooler which arrived earlier than expected. This one works fine and I have no problems. Tested the result with SpeedFan software and it seems to do its job. There was a drop of at least average 5-10 degrees C after a few minutes. Will see how it works when gaming. Product is light and fans quite. Guess that is one advantage of having two big fans instead of three smaller on higher rpm. I took the two fan version because most of the heating problem of my laptop is on the left side and this one covers that area better.

Recommendation when choosing any cooler: Feel with your hand which part(s) of your laptop is overheating and choose a cooler with fans that covers those areas.

I have no problems my laptop sliding as some mention here as it has rubber feet.

So five stars for very good service from both Amazon and Avantek and that first impressions of the product are positive.
on 2 July 2016
Bought this for my 17" Vaio which has been running hot lately. It is advertised as for 15-17" laptops but mine clearly overhangs each side by 1.5". At first this did not put me off as this should not affect the ability of the 5 fans to cool my laptop. However, as the cooling pad is made of very slick plastic and my laptop does not fit on it, of course the problem is my laptop's bottom studs are hovering in the air and the laptop keeps slipping and sliding off the bl**dy thing! I emailed the seller a question about the sizing and have received no reply.

Also I do not find it very efficient at keeping the laptop cool as it still feels hot to the touch. The sound can be annoying if you don't tune it out. It is the same noise level as a small fan in the room.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2014
A great product - lightweight, quiet, good quality, nice design and a great price. I would definitely recommend it if you have moderate overheating issues. The fans are large so they cool your entire laptop base, but they don't move a lot of air so the cooling is quite slow. If you have extreme overheating issues you'll probably need a more powerful, noisy, and laptop-specific pad. But I reckon this will do me for a few years, then if I need more cooling I'll modify it with my own fans. It fits my 17" Lenovo G560 perfectly & looks like it was designed for it. There are also vents on the sides so you can use it on soft surfaces.