Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 14 November 2014
I certainly haven't heard better. She could so easily have followed 'Born to Die' with a couple of good singles to buoy up a ho-hum second album, but this is a gorgeous and superbly sustained collection of songs that develop Lana's 'dissolute prom queen' persona to stunning effect.

There is a nagging sense that the album hasn't done quite as well as it should have, perhaps because the lead singles were ill-chosen: 'West Coast' certainly grows in this context, but 'Ultraviolence' is one of the lesser songs here. They are both swamped by the majesty of 'Shades of Cool', 'Sad Girl', and the quite fabulous 'Brooklyn Baby'. 'Pretty When You Cry' sounds a bit like filler, admittedly, and could signal a long tail of diminishing returns in the second half, but it really doesn't - 'Money, Power, Glory', 'F*d My Way Up to the Top' and the lovely ballad 'Old Money' push the quality bar right back up.

Seriously, you need to have this. Like me, you will soon have it on repeat with a bottle of wine, bellowing along with a great big grin on your face.
on 17 June 2014
Play this with your headphones on and close your eyes. You will experience true transcendence. Lana del Rey is an breathtaking artist. Something about the combination of her breathy, angelic voice with her dark lyrics makes this album divine. It's really different to born to die (I think paradise marks the middle ground between the two albums) but at the same time it's still VERY Lana. It's hard t explain without listening to it. But on the whole this album has a more stripped back, raw feel. It's edgier. It's darker. Sure, Born to Die was dark, but poppier songs were interspersed with the darker songs on that album. The themes this album deals with can be very bleak; Lana does not shy away from dealing with controversial topics, and the ethereal sound contributes to this mood further. It's a haunting masterpiece. It would be difficult to pick standout tracks, but I'm happy to say that there are no filler tracks either. It all fits together perfectly.

Download it. I don't know how she keeps doing it!
1616 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2014
I have an immensely high regard for Lana Del Rey, she has the ability to write incredibly hard, almost vicious, biting lyrics and then deliver them in a voice so sweet and gentle that the barbs leave no wound. Quite simply, as demonstrated on "Born To Die" and "Paradise", she's one of the best lyricists around and definitely one of the best vocalists currently performing.
"Ultraviolence" merely extends that legacy, the lyrics are just as subversive, brilliantly picturesque (verbal S&M maybe) and a complete contrast to her verbal delivery. This album, to me, seems to be a perfect next step in the Lana Del Rey story and easily stands on its own against the previous two, I can hardly wait for the next edition - will she mellow, will she continue to rail against the industry and system, will she make some peace with her inner demons? Whatever the answer, I'll be first in line to buy it.
on 19 June 2014
after listening to lana del ray on a weekly basis with her last album i was waiting with baited breath for this album to drop and i can say i am not dissapointed,her sexy smoldering voice grips you on the first note and does not let go till track 14 ( delux edition) will be listening to this forever or until another album appears either way i am one happy bunny indeed :)
on 10 August 2014
I have been listening to this album a lot on headphones on the way to work, it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down. Otherwise it is relaxing and emotional. Her voice sometimes reminded me of Billie Holiday, other times like This Mortal Coil- very raw, sometimes violent and aggressive, other times melodic with base-tone backing vocals. This is my first experience of Del Rey and I am impressed
Unlike some of the reviewers on this page, I was hooked on this album from the moment I got it; in fact it quickly supplanted "Born To Die/Paradise" on my personal playlist.

This album has a sleekly stripped-down, entirely different soundscape from the often heavily layered mixing on the previous albums; in that respect - musically - it is a side-step rather than a leap forward, but I was immediately impressed by the quality and attention to detail on each track. Listen to the use of bowed acoustic bass on "Brooklyn Baby" for example, or the subtle deployment of the mellotron and synthesizer throughout the album - it isn`t just the beautiful guitar work that makes these such exquisite settings for Del Rey`s voice.
In keeping with the previous albums, Del Rey takes on different personas for each track; I find her songs very visual - and yes, I've seen her videos, but I find myself conjuring up the lurid, paperback cover illustrations for each character she adopts; a list of pulp-fiction, soap-opera types - the battered girlfriend, the up-market escort, the gangster's mistress, the pretentious, would-be hipster of the afore mentioned "Brooklyn Baby" - a wicked self-parody, perhaps- which contains the most obvious example of the ironic, jet-black humour at play on a few of the tracks.
Personally, I find her the singer most in-touch with the whole idea of Post-Modernism in the way she fearlessly appropriates ideas, idioms, songs and characterisations; she creates artistic and relevant reflections of modern Americana that are both critical and celebratory, nostalgic and fearfully negative in equal measure, yet they are all elaborate constructs - rather like Lana Del Rey herself - though I don't mean that in a pejorative or disparaging way - the singer has herself stated that she isn't at all like her alter ego.
If you have the standard album, the last track "The Other Woman" serves as a neat, ironic foil to the cynical voraciousness of preceding tracks like "Sad Girl", "Money, Power, Glory"and the outrageously provocative "F****d My Way Up to the Top".
The deluxe album has three extra songs that are certainly worth getting - "Florida Kilos" is a stonker of a track which suggests even greater possibilities for future exploration.
It's also worth stating that you won't lose anything by downloading the album, as there are no lyrics or supplementary material contained in the CD packaging. The lyrics can be easily found online.

Please don't be put off by some of the negative stuff levelled at this because it wasn't "more of the same" as some fans were expecting; "Ultraviolence" stands well on it`s own merits and is a truly rewarding, intelligent and thoughtfully inventive album - just listen, it`ll hook you.
Loved the first album and enjoyed this one. It's much darker with haunting lyrics and echoing vocals and needs proper listening to, not reallu suited to background or car listening.
It feels like an extension to the first album but misses out (in my humble opinion) on any stand-out tracks in the vein of Born to Die. Having said that, there is no doubt she is an immense talent.
As much as I loved Video Games (the song) I always felt the Born To Die album was pitched a bit too far in the girly RnB/Trip Hop direction. It had some killer choruses, but I had to fight the urge to skip the more poppy bits.

This album is a different beast altogether. The backing tracks are moody swathes of strings and fuzzy guitars full of reverb & echo with relatively subdued drumming. The pace rarely varies away from glacial but for this type of album it is perfect: it can be listened to in its entirety without anything jarring. However it does startle with remarkable frequency. The tunes are beautiful, and the singing is spot on.
on 12 September 2014
Ultraviolence is the kind of album where its brilliance creeps up on you. Being a big fan Lana's previous album, Born to Die, this follow up was slightly disappointing on first listen. Everything seemed to be at the same pace and nothing stood out. That was my feeling after the first few listens. Within the next few listens each song started to differentiate itself and take on character. And then after that I started to fall in love with each song individually and the thing as a whole.

It's quite a sparse, minimalistic album, but all the better for it. It forces you to focus on Lana's dreamy voice and unique lyrics. But then every time I listen to it, I find something new in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if I've got a favourite song from it, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Brooklyn Baby:

"Well my boyfriend's in the band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I've got feathers in my hair
I get down to Beat poetry
And my jazz collection's raw
I can play most anything
I'm a Brooklyn baby, I'm a Brooklyn baby"

I'm not usually the kind of person who gets 'lost' in music or films, but the lyrics like the ones above feel so evocative, especially the way she sings them. Listen to the rawness in her voice when she sings that chorus for the last time.

I hope I'm not overstating how good it is, but if you find yourself listening to the album and not understanding what all the positive reviews on here are talking about, I'd advise giving it a few more goes to let its slow, otherworldly magic work on you.
88 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2014
This is one of those albums which is so different, in a very good way, that you need to be in the mood to benefit from it at it's best. I suppose I mean it is no easy-listening music, it has far more depth and interest. I bought Lana's previous album and I am glad I bought this one to, albeit different.