TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 March 2016
Philips Sonicare Sonic Electric Toothbrush For Kids

I've used a number of Philips Sonicare toothbrushes and without exception they have been excellent. My old Oral B electric toothbrush has been consigned to the back of the cupboard. This 'For Kids' toothbrush is essentially an adult-size toothbrush with some modifications for child use, together with a bluetooth connection for interaction with Philips' fun free educational and motivational coaching game app.

The child-specific features are:

* Bright colour, changeable stickers and fun timing interval alert (cute tones rather than the functional adult buzz)

* Extra gentle 1 minute mode (to get the child used to the ticklish sensation sonic toothbrushes are known for) before moving to the full 2 minute mode

The toothbrush can also be used without the app; and the brush is the same size as adult versions so there's no need to change it as the child grows (and indeed there's nothing from stopping an adult from using this toothbrush).

=== PROS ===

* Top quality sonic toothbrush - really does give an excellent clean

* Attractive turquose and white styling with matching toothbrushes and rubbery grip

* Unisex design with stickers in blue, green, purple & pink (rather than the tedious gendered colourways of some child products)

* Free app which provides motivation to keep brushing (if the usual egg timer isn't enough) and education about dental hygiene and, with the toothbrush's bluetooth connection, the app is interactive.

=== USING THE APP ===

The app is available to download free of charge for either Apple or Android phones. Anyone can use it, with any sort of toothbrush, but only these bluetooth toothbrushes can use the interactive functions. After downloading the app to the device you'll use, set up a user profile for each child then 'adopt a Sparkly' (choose which character you'd like to play with). The Sparkly learns & evolves as the educational game is played and there are rewards in the game. When the app is on, it recognises the toothbrush when it's turned on and the child is guided to brush all 4 quadrants of the mouth. The child can monitor their own progress and parents can also set up custom milestones and rewards.

=== NIGGLES ===

* The brush handle is the same as a full-size adult one so, although the product says it's suitable for use for children from age 3+, younger children may need assistance rather than just supervision

* Using the app does add a bit of time to the bathroom routine - not much, but say an extra minute setting up the phone/tablet & getting to the start of the program and watching the short tutorial videos

* The user guide contains the standard safety warning contained in every single Philips product which says it's not suitable for children under 8; this is sloppy work by the people at Philips who produced this user guide - but just ignore it

* Reward chart schemes aren't suitable for all children (but there's no need to use it)

* To use the app requires a smart phone, tablet or other device with a bluetooth connection that can be used safely in the bathroom

* There's quite a lot going on and some children will get really into it whereas others won't be interested or will get bored of the game

=== IN THE BOX, PACKAGING & PRICE ===

In the box is a toothbrush handle, charger, 2 brush heads (one small, one full-size), stickers (6 handle stickers and 28 small ones) and paperwork (guarantee, how to register, quick start guide and user manual). The product comes packed securely in a branded box with product details. At the time of writing this review, the product was for sale at £67.

=== PHOTOS ===

The photos show what's in the box; size comparison with my other 2 adult Sonicare toothbrushes (middle and right); and size comparison with adult Philips brush heads (the two on the right).
review image review image review image
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 8-year-old daughter has almost been spoiled by the selection of toothbrushes she's had in the past few years. I got a very good tooth brush, and gave her my old mid-range Braun electric toothbrush, which actually really encouraged her to brush her teeth well. She then inherited her mum's slightly better Braun toothbrush because SHE got a new one!

Despite these good brushes, however, and despite my daughter's diligent efforts to keep on top of it, there was a persistent bit of tartar that kept building up on her bottom two middle teeth. She (and we) have been really aware of this issue for about the past 9 months. Even after descaling by the dentist, these bits of tartar came back after a few weeks.

Within a week of starting to use this Sonicare toothbrush, it has gone. I put this down to the significantly higher frequency of the Sonicare brush. The idea of the brush is that it vibrates so fat, you get an element of sonic cleaning too. What is beyond doubt, anyway, is that it's very good at keeping teeth clean, and also very easy to use.

When you open the box, you find a selection of stickers. There are 8 custom-size stickers that fit very neatly on the handle, on the side with the buttons - a decent selection of smart and cool stickers for boys and girls alike. There is also a sheet of other stickers that seem to serve no purpose other than for your child to play with. They don't look like they'd stay on the brush well anyway, and (maybe I'm a bit strict!) I believe that if you position your toothbrush as something not to be played with, your child will respect it more and look after it better. My little girl picked her favourite 'proper' sticker for the handle and I stuck it on carefully, and that's the extent of our decoration!

Otherwise, there's not much else to report in terms of contents. A neatly-shaped and compact charging dock, and a little clear plastic cover for the head when travelling (which look a wee bit flimsy and brittle if I'm brutally honest).

There's nothing flimsy about the tooth brush in use, however. There are two simple buttons, both nice and sturdy, with a very pleasing action. The bottom one toggles between gentle and firm brushing (the idea being that the gentle mode is for younger children - 4-6 years old, notionally, and the firmer one for older children). My daughter's very happy with the firm mode anyway. The top button starts the brush, and it's remarkably quiet in use. There are gentle but very sonorous and cheery sounds which indicate progress through the 2-minute programme. These have been great for our wee girl, actually, because she sometimes would forget which 30-second bleep she'd heard on her old one.

The other thing worth mentioning, I think, is that this Sonicare is a really good size for a child. In theory, Sonicare seem to indicate it's suitable for 4 and up, but I suspect a 4-year-old might find it a bit big and difficult to handle. From 5ish would seem more sensible to me, but it's the perfect size for my daughter, and she loves using it.

All in all, I'm so impressed that when my Colgate ProClinical toothbrush wears out, I think I'll get myself a Sonicare one too.
on 27 August 2015
My three children had the previous version of this toothbrush and we were very happy with them even though the first one though lasted just over a year before it wouldn't charge up, so I brought a replacement. That one is not working well now (after approx 2 1/2 years), hence buying a new one. The second of the original Sonicare Kids toothbrushes I brought packed up after 18 months. For that one I brought a different brand of electric toothbrush which was nowhere near as good to use as the Sonicare, so I have gone back to a Sonicare for her too. The third toothbrush is still going after nearly four years, although for the last 18 months when it needs to be charged it just goes into a constant buzz, so I have to leave it to drain out (takes around half hour) before charging and it is fine. The charge lasted approx 3 weeks on these toothbrushes.
The new one, I am pleased with except for 1) I'm not sure the stickers on the handle will last. The old kids Sonicare cover wasn't a sticker so lasted well. 2) It only came with one toothbrush head. 3) The toothbrush heads for these toothbrushes are so expensive, especially when younger children tend to chew them, so you do not get three months use from them. For these reasons I have taken a star off.
I hope any issues with charging on this newer model has been sorted, but overall great toothbrushes.
on 15 June 2016
Bought 2 of these for my children after buying them a normal electric toothbrush that just wasn't upto the job. Decided to pay out and get them Sonicare which I have use previously in the past so I know they clean well. My kids are 11 and 12 and I was a bit worried that I was paying for the attractive stickers that may be a bit babyish for them, but they both loved them and chose one straight away. My typical '12 year old I hate brushing my teeth' son has now totally changed and even says he loves brushing his teeth now and can feel them all smooth, the timer even keeps him going for the full 2 mins!! Fingers crossed its paid off the next time he visits the dentists. Yes they are a bit pricey, but you have your gnashers for the whole of your life (hopefully!) so I think its worth it to get the kids into looking after them from early age. Highly recommend.
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Philips Sonicare Electric Toothbrush is perfect for any child over the age of 3 years. I have to say i got this for my baby granddaughter to use when she is here with us, but as its not suitable i have been using it. In the box you get the main unit, the charger and the toothbrush heads. Obe is oval shaped, and the other a round compact type. I went for the over as its small enough for my mouth, or that of a child or toddler. Im not at all worried about the Disney wraps or stickers as they call them! You get 8 in the box. I like the green one. Perfect as it doesnt have to fuzzy creatures on it!. They are cute but not to my taste. The main unit is blue tooth. Not too sure what that is as im not into bluetooth and what it enables on a phone. My son in law will be better at this. I will update once i understand what the bluetooth is for.
Here is a run down on the toothbrush
Rechargeable
Removes more plaque than a manual toothbrush
Kidtimer: gradually increases brushing time over 90 days, up to 2 minutes
KidPacer: fun sounds encourage kids to brush properly
Rubber brush head: to protect growing teeth.
For the price you are getting a top quality toothbrush for a child.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this for my son who is 4 and a bit. I've always struggled with feeling like I've done a good job at brushing his teeth and felt this could help.

First impressions - it is bigger than imagined, particularly being for children. I have an electric toothbrush and this is bigger than mine!

Initially my son wasn't too impressed, however the option of four stickers definitely helped to make it 'his' so I really like that. THere is a choice between surfer dude, princess and two generic water/ocean stickers.

The noise it makes isn't loud enough to scare the children, which is good.

It seems to barely vibrate, so it wont do anywhere near as much cleaning and as adult electric toothbrhush. Also, because he keeps pulling it out of his mouth, the vibration means that it sometimes sprays a few dots of toothpaste everywhere e.g. I came to work this morning with some toothpaste spray on my trousers!

VALUE FOR MONEY

Is it value for money? I would say definitely not. If I were you, I would buy the cheaper electric toothbrushes that you get in boots. They are smaller, cheaper and I suspect, given what this one does, just as effective. I bought an adult electric toothbrush that is much more effective, smaller and half the price!

Hope that helps.
on 20 February 2016
I bought this for my 7 year old who hates brushing his teeth. We had been using the Colgate electric toothbrushes but I was fed up with constantly replacing the batteries. He had this for a couple of months and it is still a struggle to get him to clean his teeth however I feel like they get a good clean with this brush. If o my he would use it more. There is no magic brush that will make your kids brush more often (I have looked) but I think this is the best fr cleaning when they do use it. I have the adult one and have been very happy with it for years.
My girls have been using an Oral B electric toothbrush, but both thought that our grown up Phillips Sonicare was more exciting (I think it was the noise that it makes that drew them!) and we let them try ours out to see whether or not they enjoyed the sensation, as it is quite a different feel and they both not only enjoyed it, but independently stated that their teeth felt cleaner.

I know that having used Phillips Sonicare for quite some time now, I wouldn't want to use a normal electric toothbrush again, so I was happy for my children to use the same technology, knowing that their teeth would be cleaner as a result.

This set it nice because it allows you to alter the look for your child and their style with a set of different fascia designs for your child to choose from along with additional stickers should they be needed, although we didn't really see a place for these small stickers to fit on the design my children chose. The large stickers are well made and look as though they should last for quite some time - we haven't noticed it coming adrift at the corners as one might expect, but even if over time it does - then we have 7 more designs to choose from!

The two minute timer, which automatically switches off the toothbrush at the end of the brushing time is great and means that both of my girls brush for the full two minutes. One press of the button will start it up again, so then next child can use it straight away without any delay (other than changing the head over).

The rubber at the back of the head is good as my younger daughter is a bit clumsy on occasion when moving the toothbrush around her mouth and this just prevents her clattering her teeth and thus prevents any discomfort or even damage in doing so.
on 9 October 2015
Very good product - It really seems to have done the trick in removing the plaque from our 5 year old's teeth. Only arrived with one head, and the larger one, so we needed to order the smaller head size (and ended up ordering the cheaper, non branded version) which are fine.
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this toothbrush for my six year old. I didn't expect it to be very different from her electrical toothbrush. I was wrong!

This toothbrush is perfectly made for children. The rubber material used ensures that it is easy to hold and doesn't hurt their mouth at all. It doesn't make much noise and unlike with her electrical toothbrush there isnt toothpaste flying everywhere from strong vibrations.

She can lie the toothbrush flat to put on her toothpaste which is really good. At night I usually brush her teeth to ensure she cleans them properly. Using this brush is great, it lets you know when thirty seconds have passed so that you don't just brush the same part of you mouth for too long. It switches itself off after two minutes.

It came with as selection of stickers that are attractive. The stickers were easy to put on and have remained stuck to the toothbrush very well. I did have to buy a shaver adapter plug as that is how you charge the brush, we dont have a shaver socket.

I am so impressed with this brush that I will be buying my older children a toothbrush head each for this brush, which works out at £6 each, which I think is reasonable as it really ensures clean teeth.