TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 March 2016
Philips Sonicare Sonic Electric Toothbrush For Kids

I've used a number of Philips Sonicare toothbrushes and without exception they have been excellent. My old Oral B electric toothbrush has been consigned to the back of the cupboard. This 'For Kids' toothbrush is essentially an adult-size toothbrush with some modifications for child use, together with a bluetooth connection for interaction with Philips' fun free educational and motivational coaching game app.

The child-specific features are:

* Bright colour, changeable stickers and fun timing interval alert (cute tones rather than the functional adult buzz)

* Extra gentle 1 minute mode (to get the child used to the ticklish sensation sonic toothbrushes are known for) before moving to the full 2 minute mode

The toothbrush can also be used without the app; and the brush is the same size as adult versions so there's no need to change it as the child grows (and indeed there's nothing from stopping an adult from using this toothbrush).

=== PROS ===

* Top quality sonic toothbrush - really does give an excellent clean

* Attractive turquose and white styling with matching toothbrushes and rubbery grip

* Unisex design with stickers in blue, green, purple & pink (rather than the tedious gendered colourways of some child products)

* Free app which provides motivation to keep brushing (if the usual egg timer isn't enough) and education about dental hygiene and, with the toothbrush's bluetooth connection, the app is interactive.

The app is available to download free of charge for either Apple or Android phones. Anyone can use it, with any sort of toothbrush, but only these bluetooth toothbrushes can use the interactive functions. After downloading the app to the device you'll use, set up a user profile for each child then 'adopt a Sparkly' (choose which character you'd like to play with). The Sparkly learns & evolves as the educational game is played and there are rewards in the game. When the app is on, it recognises the toothbrush when it's turned on and the child is guided to brush all 4 quadrants of the mouth. The child can monitor their own progress and parents can also set up custom milestones and rewards.

=== NIGGLES ===

* The brush handle is the same as a full-size adult one so, although the product says it's suitable for use for children from age 3+, younger children may need assistance rather than just supervision

* Using the app does add a bit of time to the bathroom routine - not much, but say an extra minute setting up the phone/tablet & getting to the start of the program and watching the short tutorial videos

* The user guide contains the standard safety warning contained in every single Philips product which says it's not suitable for children under 8; this is sloppy work by the people at Philips who produced this user guide - but just ignore it

* Reward chart schemes aren't suitable for all children (but there's no need to use it)

* To use the app requires a smart phone, tablet or other device with a bluetooth connection that can be used safely in the bathroom

* There's quite a lot going on and some children will get really into it whereas others won't be interested or will get bored of the game

In the box is a toothbrush handle, charger, 2 brush heads (one small, one full-size), stickers (6 handle stickers and 28 small ones) and paperwork (guarantee, how to register, quick start guide and user manual). The product comes packed securely in a branded box with product details. At the time of writing this review, the product was for sale at £67.

=== PHOTOS ===

The photos show what's in the box; size comparison with my other 2 adult Sonicare toothbrushes (middle and right); and size comparison with adult Philips brush heads (the two on the right).
review image review image review image
on 27 August 2015
My three children had the previous version of this toothbrush and we were very happy with them even though the first one though lasted just over a year before it wouldn't charge up, so I brought a replacement. That one is not working well now (after approx 2 1/2 years), hence buying a new one. The second of the original Sonicare Kids toothbrushes I brought packed up after 18 months. For that one I brought a different brand of electric toothbrush which was nowhere near as good to use as the Sonicare, so I have gone back to a Sonicare for her too. The third toothbrush is still going after nearly four years, although for the last 18 months when it needs to be charged it just goes into a constant buzz, so I have to leave it to drain out (takes around half hour) before charging and it is fine. The charge lasted approx 3 weeks on these toothbrushes.
The new one, I am pleased with except for 1) I'm not sure the stickers on the handle will last. The old kids Sonicare cover wasn't a sticker so lasted well. 2) It only came with one toothbrush head. 3) The toothbrush heads for these toothbrushes are so expensive, especially when younger children tend to chew them, so you do not get three months use from them. For these reasons I have taken a star off.
I hope any issues with charging on this newer model has been sorted, but overall great toothbrushes.
on 15 June 2016
Bought 2 of these for my children after buying them a normal electric toothbrush that just wasn't upto the job. Decided to pay out and get them Sonicare which I have use previously in the past so I know they clean well. My kids are 11 and 12 and I was a bit worried that I was paying for the attractive stickers that may be a bit babyish for them, but they both loved them and chose one straight away. My typical '12 year old I hate brushing my teeth' son has now totally changed and even says he loves brushing his teeth now and can feel them all smooth, the timer even keeps him going for the full 2 mins!! Fingers crossed its paid off the next time he visits the dentists. Yes they are a bit pricey, but you have your gnashers for the whole of your life (hopefully!) so I think its worth it to get the kids into looking after them from early age. Highly recommend.
on 30 May 2016
My kids adore these brushes! I wasn't sure the app would be any good but it's amazing, with the kids wanting to play with their 'sparkly' even after brushing. They are keen to brush his teeth every day to keep him happy, which of course makes me (and hopefully the dentist) happy. Even if you don't use these brushes, you can use the free app anyway so I'd recommend it.

I think the brushes were well worth the price. They have just enough options (gentle brushing, full-on brushing, slowly increasing the time to get young children used to brushing for 2 mins each time) but they're not complicated at all. The different size brush heads make sure it will last as your child grows.

I really don't have anything bad to say about them! The only thing I wasn't sure about was some of the included stickers. The big ones for the front of the brush are excellent - easy to apply, look great and stay put - but I don't see where the smaller ones are supposed to go. We kept them for other things.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 8-year-old daughter has almost been spoiled by the selection of toothbrushes she's had in the past few years. I got a very good tooth brush, and gave her my old mid-range Braun electric toothbrush, which actually really encouraged her to brush her teeth well. She then inherited her mum's slightly better Braun toothbrush because SHE got a new one!

Despite these good brushes, however, and despite my daughter's diligent efforts to keep on top of it, there was a persistent bit of tartar that kept building up on her bottom two middle teeth. She (and we) have been really aware of this issue for about the past 9 months. Even after descaling by the dentist, these bits of tartar came back after a few weeks.

Within a week of starting to use this Sonicare toothbrush, it has gone. I put this down to the significantly higher frequency of the Sonicare brush. The idea of the brush is that it vibrates so fat, you get an element of sonic cleaning too. What is beyond doubt, anyway, is that it's very good at keeping teeth clean, and also very easy to use.

When you open the box, you find a selection of stickers. There are 8 custom-size stickers that fit very neatly on the handle, on the side with the buttons - a decent selection of smart and cool stickers for boys and girls alike. There is also a sheet of other stickers that seem to serve no purpose other than for your child to play with. They don't look like they'd stay on the brush well anyway, and (maybe I'm a bit strict!) I believe that if you position your toothbrush as something not to be played with, your child will respect it more and look after it better. My little girl picked her favourite 'proper' sticker for the handle and I stuck it on carefully, and that's the extent of our decoration!

Otherwise, there's not much else to report in terms of contents. A neatly-shaped and compact charging dock, and a little clear plastic cover for the head when travelling (which look a wee bit flimsy and brittle if I'm brutally honest).

There's nothing flimsy about the tooth brush in use, however. There are two simple buttons, both nice and sturdy, with a very pleasing action. The bottom one toggles between gentle and firm brushing (the idea being that the gentle mode is for younger children - 4-6 years old, notionally, and the firmer one for older children). My daughter's very happy with the firm mode anyway. The top button starts the brush, and it's remarkably quiet in use. There are gentle but very sonorous and cheery sounds which indicate progress through the 2-minute programme. These have been great for our wee girl, actually, because she sometimes would forget which 30-second bleep she'd heard on her old one.

The other thing worth mentioning, I think, is that this Sonicare is a really good size for a child. In theory, Sonicare seem to indicate it's suitable for 4 and up, but I suspect a 4-year-old might find it a bit big and difficult to handle. From 5ish would seem more sensible to me, but it's the perfect size for my daughter, and she loves using it.

All in all, I'm so impressed that when my Colgate ProClinical toothbrush wears out, I think I'll get myself a Sonicare one too.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Philips Sonicare has always been a brilliant toothbrush, and my kids have been using the kids version for about two years now. I was eager to try this new model to see how they've improved it and see what changes were made.

This new kids model looks and feels exactly the same as the old model, but with new stickers to choose from. There is now an app from Philips that you can download for free, and it links to the toothbrush via bluetooth. The app introduces the purple fluffy ball called Sparkly, and each time your kid brushes they earn a gift for him - a snack, or a spray to change colour, so Sparkly is basically a pet that lives in the app. There's a calendar to check you're brushing twice a day, and I've used the app for both my kids by creating separate profiles for them. When the app is linked to the brush it shows a big mouth with germs on the teeth that you get rid of by brushing on them, so it gets the child to brush all of the teeth by dividing the teeth into top/bottom left/right quarters.

The app was quite fun to start with, and the close up of the mouth with the teeth inside was really interesting. That is until I realised that the movement of the actual toothbrush made no difference to the animation, so basically you could use the app with any toothbrush (you can download it for free and use it with a manual toothbrush, for example). I can't understand why there was a need to link the toothbrush to the app using bluetooth, apart from just synchronising the start of the two minutes of brushing. Seems a bit pointless to me. After playing with the app my kids got bored of it, I think it is more geared towards younger children (mine are 8 and 10).

Apart from the app, the toothbrush is really great and I wouldn't choose another brand for my kids (or me!). It is exactly the same as the old model but with added bluetooth, which seems pointless to me and is really irrelevant to toothbrushing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 March 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My just 3 year old has disliked her electric oral b since the rotating motion was a little enthusiastic for her tiny mouth, I thought the sonicare was worth a try due to the vibrations method and so far she has had no complaints of ouch or refusals to brush her teeth which is brilliant.
Coupled with the app which she cries when I turn off, she is very keen on teeth brushing now!

The sonicare for children is still pretty big compared to the average young children's manual but at 3 I'm still helping my little one to brush. There are some adaptations from the adult version with an extra gentle function and a removable plate to put removable colourful stickers on. My daughter chose the purple clouds one and we use the smaller head.
The heads come with a protective cap and the toothbrush can be stabilised horizontally to apply toothpaste squeezing with two hands as little ones often need to do. Additional accessories include another sized head and cap plus a charger and charging stand.
You can programme the brush to run for 1 or 2 minutes on gentle or extra gentle or a programme to gradually build up from 1 minute extra gentle to 2 minutes gentle over a period of a couple of weeks. We will probably stick to 1 minute at extra gentle for a while to help our daughter accustom and get used to this brush plus her age meaning she should need s gentler vibration.
I admit it is too big for my petite for her age 3 year old to hold and use alone, and I do need to help her, but then that's part of parenting at that age, the extra gentle function is excellent for preschoolers as it is just enough to be effective but not hurt sensitive gums, when they get older they can graduate to the gentle function.
Overall this is an excellent electric brush that has thought about adapting for children rather than simply making an adult body in bright colours and allows for prolonged use by changing out stickers and designs over time. I will be looking to purchase this or its potential upgrade for my second daughter when she hits 3.

A bit about the app:
The app connects to the toothbrush via Bluetooth and each child can have a separate profile accessible by parents with charts and rewards for continued habits, on starting they get given a baby 'sparkly' whose teeth get dirty over time and you are encouraged to brush their teeth whilst brushing 'your own'. Playing the program synced with your sonicare will buzz at the appropriate times to move to a different part of the mouth and gives the aim of brushing the germs away which are anthropomorphised with faces. Each brushing gets a reward for the sparkly to eat, get dressed up in or change their colour.
You can access if using a manual, but the buzzing encouraging to move helps anchor such behaviour in children to make it natural.
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Philips Sonicare Electric Toothbrush is perfect for any child over the age of 3 years. I have to say i got this for my baby granddaughter to use when she is here with us, but as its not suitable i have been using it. In the box you get the main unit, the charger and the toothbrush heads. Obe is oval shaped, and the other a round compact type. I went for the over as its small enough for my mouth, or that of a child or toddler. Im not at all worried about the Disney wraps or stickers as they call them! You get 8 in the box. I like the green one. Perfect as it doesnt have to fuzzy creatures on it!. They are cute but not to my taste. The main unit is blue tooth. Not too sure what that is as im not into bluetooth and what it enables on a phone. My son in law will be better at this. I will update once i understand what the bluetooth is for.
Here is a run down on the toothbrush
Removes more plaque than a manual toothbrush
Kidtimer: gradually increases brushing time over 90 days, up to 2 minutes
KidPacer: fun sounds encourage kids to brush properly
Rubber brush head: to protect growing teeth.
For the price you are getting a top quality toothbrush for a child.
on 26 June 2016
stopped charging after 5 weeks of use. Now come to return it to amazon but it is outside of their returns window, truly dreadful customer service for a frequent amazon shopper and prime member. I now have the hassle of having to contact the manufacturer to gain a replacement. Be aware of this lack of customer service by amazon when buying anything.
on 20 February 2016
I bought this for my 7 year old who hates brushing his teeth. We had been using the Colgate electric toothbrushes but I was fed up with constantly replacing the batteries. He had this for a couple of months and it is still a struggle to get him to clean his teeth however I feel like they get a good clean with this brush. If o my he would use it more. There is no magic brush that will make your kids brush more often (I have looked) but I think this is the best fr cleaning when they do use it. I have the adult one and have been very happy with it for years.