Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 21 July 2014
The film was an interesting ride for me. I love Adam Ant old and new. I follow up on whatever interviews I can, whatever gigs are posted live on the net; I try to be a determined fan, but this movie for me really seemed... different than the Adam Ant that I get to see continuously in the media.

The film took a pretty egotistical, uneasy tone. It seemed as if it were edited to make sure that all the bad/"downer" footage of Adam would get into the final cut without much of a reprieve. Don't get me wrong! I mean, he's a charmer for sure. He goes through the downer moments with a quirk and an estranged smile that makes you grin nonetheless, but it was tense. It was almost unrelenting, actually. I worry that the film concentrated a bit too hard on the mental illness of Adam Ant to be a little controversial (and I don't think that the mental illness was accurately portrayed, coming from a person with mental illness that has always lived with people with mental illness)

In any case, it really shows off the magic of Adam at the same time. The man has a real fashion sense, good humor, and lots of interesting stories to tell. As always, he's an eloquent thinker and speaker, and that's what makes the film good. The moments where we do get to see Adam at his peak are fantastic. The cinematography is also pretty amazing, which is always a plus.
on 21 May 2015
A brilliantly filmed documentary from Jack Bond showing Adam slowly working at getting his career back on track gigging for the first time in over fifteen years around London. Building up from small venues and leading up to a big open air gig in Hyde Park the live footage and choice of songs featured here is fantastic and refreshingly original.
It would have been easy to film and put together a “Greatest Hits” package but no, Jack Bond instead opts for the brilliant early stuff – You’re so Physical, Christian Dior, Red Scab, Press Darlings, Plastic Surgery and Beat my Guest – and it works so well.
It’s a bit uncomfortable watching at the beginning as we can clearly see Adam is not quite mentally stable at times but as the film progresses you see Adam back in control and this is lovely to see. I admire him so much for what he’s suffered, endured and finally put behind him, it’s great to have him back playing gigs and recording. Long may it continue.
If I have any complaints then it’s just this – I would have like to have seen Adam auditioning and rehearsing the band and I’m also left wondering about what happened to the results of the Paris recording session? And perhaps more live footage from the London gigs could have been included as an extra?
Adam Ant, a brilliant, original eccentric? Yes, yes and yes, but I would also add genius to that because genius he truly is.
on 11 July 2014
Jack Bond's long awaited tour documentary of 80's pop icon is finally here....and well worth the wait. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Putting together a film of this type is always difficult but Bond manages to keep a good and interesting balance of footage throughout. Charlette Rampling's appearence in the movie appears a little contrived, but I didn't mind; after all, it's Charlette Rampling, what's to complain about?? I was relieved by the absence of over familiar accounts of the how he met Michael Jackson and it was interesting to see him discussing his various hobbies and interests. Great to see artist Allen Jones on film too, especially given what a huge influence Adam's image. Interesting to speculate as to whether the proposed Adam Ant biopic will see the day. Would have been interesting to hear him talk his bi-polar disorder and the impact it's had on his life and career, though perhaps it was better to let his music do the talking. You certainly won't find this documentary dull and will be likely to watch it more than once
on 9 July 2014
A beautifully made little film, that captures the energy, genius and spirit of Adam Ant at yet another turning point in his turbulent life. His struggle with Bipolarism makes for occasionally uncomfortable viewing but it is touching and uplifting to see his talent, his passion for art and music, and his sheer will to live and to create. It's also very funny in places, he's a witty man. Since the film was made, he's sold out the Hammersmith Apollo and completed a major tour. At nearly 60, and after years of suffering debilitating illness, that's quite something.
on 17 July 2014
Nice to see Adam back to his best, but this doc left me kinda cold. Having seen Adam recently I wish the doc had been made now as opposed to when it was filmed as it was at the beginning of Adam getting back on stage and I feel that NOW would have been the ideal time to make this doc as Adam is a lot more comfortable on stage and his performances are electric, plus he has now got rid of the girls which is a bonus as they didn't add anything to the concerts.
on 11 June 2016
The documentary is indeed of interest for the long time (say 38 years) A&TA fan.
The audio is just auwfully naive, like that of a beginner.
A miss and a hit, indeed.
Try to get it for less than 10 quid and you will not be disappointed.
One wonders about what will be of all the filmed performances, which could easily be put together as a - say - 5 hours Blu Ray.
Other than this, you could rely on all the previous reviews.
By the way, I am from Milan, and saw A&TA in my hometown, in 1978.
on 17 May 2014
Having been a fan for more than thirty years no other popstar has had the same impact on myself as Adam ant.The reasons can be summed up in this great movie directed by
Jack bond ,who takes us on a journey into Adams world .Never dull ,full of honesty ,I for one am glad Adam made it back from as he puts it Moscow to return to the stage .Good to have you back
Mr ant mr Adam ant!
on 9 July 2014
Almost great.... wonderful choices of live songs featured, love that his fall off stage was put in, but what the fans REALLY want is more interviews and more info about the making of his comeback not just shenanigans with people he parties with...utterly absorbing, but that's adam, not the film....
on 21 July 2014
An illuminating though edited documentary following a year in the life of the great Adam Ant. You see him change throughout this film from someone quite intense to being very laid back and thoughtful. It has been made with love and care for the subject and doesn't portray him in a negative light. It's heartwarming to see Adam get himself back in the spotlight and this film shows his struggle from a performance rather than a personal point of view. Worth watching if you are an Ant Fan!
on 10 July 2016
As a massive Adam fan for over 20 years,this dvd is a must! A total insight into the real Adam ant. Lots of interviews and live performances...like I could love him any more than I do!!! Fantastic..would 100% recommend