on 11 June 2014
Almost Deaver-esque in the twists and turns, and as ever Mr James draws you into the world of the book and makes you keep flicking the pages - or rather tapping the right hand side of the 'Kindle' - furiously. But after the dust, or perhaps more properly, ash, has settled, the holes become apparent. "Red?" What is that short for? If it is her hair colour the police would not use it but use her first name. Bryce, or whatever his alias - how can he have a colourful career in the US, be a talented magician with sophisticated surveillance skills, escapologist, pyrotechnician etc., a sort of Jack Reacher gone bad, yet be incapable having the patience to handle either a real job or relationships. The recurring motifs - the Queen of Hearts, the Van Morrison track, the Groundhog Day visions / feelings Roy has etc. - all create a Gothic unreality that takes us into an off-kilter parallel universe, reinforced by Sandy's almost mystical presence. The names add to the unreality: Cassian Pewe, Alison Vosper etc. And the plot holes: would the escaping Red not go straight to the police, as another reviewer has pointed out? The fireman false suspect just doesn't add up either. There is the obvious cliched manipulation of our sympathies as the unlikely happiness of a couple of characters is stressed so we just KNOW disaster is around the corner. Perhaps most disturbing is the nod in the acknowledgements to "those involved in the struggle against domestic abuse," when Mr James has provided outlandish situations aplenty for anyone who gets off on reading about it.

It is a tribute to Mr James's skill as a writer that these thoughts were delayed until the book was over, but nevertheless they remain as the book's after-life in the head: seductive though the writing and plot are, the whole thing is engaging - but bonkers.
on 18 September 2017
I have read almost all the other books in the series, including one which came later. This was the worst - embarrassingly banal in some places. And why build up the Bella Moy//Norman Potting relationship only to kill her off? Would have been nice to retain some positivity amongst all the doom. But at least we are rid of the constant references to Maltesers!

I have enjoyed most of the books and some of them have been difficult to put down but I find the constant explanation/repetition of details very annoying. Non-readers of previous books in the series don't need to have everything explained and made clear and regular readers will remember ...
on 18 June 2017
I really enjoyed this book my son's mother in law put on to this author and I have just finished number ten in the series, I luv the well drawn characters and there back stories, as someone who volunteers in a prison the details in these stories is well researched.
on 22 May 2017
I've read all the Roy Grace books so far and enjoyed every one of them.
But this one was a real page turner.
I was torn between wanting to read faster to see what happened next and not wanting the story to end.
Great read.
on 16 April 2017
The story flowed pretty well and built up to an excellent finish getting faster and faster an really hard to put down till finished.
The part after the climax was a little tedious.
on 28 April 2015
This exciting novel continues an excellent series. It contains some intriguing features to do with Sandy and the wedding.

However, the level of technical expertise ascribed to the arch criminal seems implausible to me.

The Brighton local colour is much appreciated, although I doubt the town is littered with quite so many bodies!
on 16 April 2017
I only discovered Peter James' work this year and having hugely enjoyed the first one that came my way, I just had to devour all the others. I don't think I'd get fed up with this series if there were another fifty
on 31 May 2017
Another on.the edge of the seat read, this is another good story line, I have to read a light hearted book for a while as I'm having nightmares lol
on 2 April 2017
Great read just love his books
on 15 June 2017