HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 June 2014
We are being treated here with this current EP of three tracks by Rival Sons recorded live at Compound Studios in Long Beach. Tipped as a group to watch some years back this group has proven that this was good foresight, as they have grown in popularity and are always well worth listening to.

Although the rock here is hard the thing that this group has done is go back in some ways to one of the roots of Rock, good old Blues. Indeed Jay Buchanan, the lead vocalist was originally a Blues singer and songwriter, and this does come across quite a bit on some of the tracks that this group have produced.

We have three tracks here that are well worth listening to giving us a trip from something more frenetic to something a bit slower and more sedate for a heavy rock band, and then onto something that is foot stomping good. Download this whilst it is completely free, you won’t be disappointed.
5 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2015
Straightforward, no messing, heads down live renditions of 3 of the better tracks off the excellent Great Western Valkyrie cd. Critically there is no crowd noise, no stage banter, no deviations - just the basic songs sounding a little rawer (really the only clue that it's live) with the lead guitar and pounding drums high up in the mix - vocally it's point perfect.

Sound wise think the 60's, Led Zeppelin, Doors and wrap it all up in a contemporary rock/almost metal delivery.
on 14 June 2014
It is a very very long time since I have heard such an amazing talent as The Rival Sons.
They have fused influences of classic rock and blues / rock greats ( you know the names Led Zep ,Free ,Doors etc etc ) and yet have managed to produce songs of depth ,power and sensitivity that sound fresh and new and most of all, unbelievably exciting.
I stumbled across their last album Head Down , almost by accident and was blown away ,I then saw them live and they were truly fantastic , so much so that I feared for their ability to maintain that level with another album never mind exceed it.
They have done it !
The Great Western Valkyrie heralds the presence of an astonishing talent.
If you yearn for pulsating hard riff rock, truly heartfelt ballads as a well as spine tingling power and grunt look no further, you will listen and smile all at the same time......and then there is Jay Buchanan !
Make no mistake this is very much a band of equal shares, but this boy has a voice that will be rock legend, stratospheric at times ,gentle and timid at others .
Rival Sons have arrived , don't miss out !!
on 14 June 2014
This was a band I have never heard before given as a free sampler from Amazon. In my view the price was about right. Recording quality is poor, there is no depth of sound, and the lead guitarist seems to be unaware that he is supposed to blend in with the rest of the band. Track 1, 'Electric Man', is Led-Zep-ish but with two sad omissions - Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. The second track, 'Good Things', a slow, bluesy number shows that the singer has a very pleasant voice but the track is spoilt by intrusive and sightly discordant noodles on the lead guitar. The final track, 'Open My Eyes', holds interest briefly but deteriorates into a repetitive dirge. I would listen to them again but they would have to perform much better before I would actually buy any of their music.
on 2 June 2014
My how this band has grown since I first saw them in 2011. Rival Sons don't make rock music, they make music that moves you. Emotionally, physically and mentally. Groove, melody, soul, HUGE guitars, and a vocalist who contributes as much as any other instrument, if not more. On CD, they sound amazing, live they are unstoppable. Get this E.P for free, get hold of the back catalogue and buy the new CD Great Western Valkyrie out on the 9th June, you won't regret it.
on 2 June 2014
I've loved Rival Sons since they started coming to our shores several years ago. Have been to see them around five times already and looking forward very much to seeing them at one of their relatively intimate gigs in June to promote the new album Great Western Valkyrie. I also have the full album on pre-order (have tried to stay away from any preview listens other than hearing the two singles off this EP - Electric Man and Open My Eyes) so to hear these free songs on this EP played live was music to my ears!
Electric Man is great but I do love Open My Eyes. This really gets to show off what a fantastic vocalist Jay is! The rest of the guys are obviously fab too and I'm sure Robin who was the original bass player with the band would be proud of what the guys have achieved here and that Dave, the new bass player is doing a fantastic job. All 4 guys are so tight playing together and we continue to love their work and hope that there is a lot more to come for a long time yet!!! Keep up the good work guys!!!
on 2 June 2014
If you thought Head Down was brilliant, think again. If this short offering is anything to go by, the album is going to be something special.

Electric Man and Open My Eyes is the sound of the Rival Sons we all know and love, taken a notch above what their previous work. Also if you haven't seen the video for Open My Eyes yet, do so, you're missing a treat.

Good Things is my clear standout track. Could just be me but I find it so evocative of Gimme Shelter, Riders on the Storm and a 1960s late summer haze. Could be the soundtrack to a Vietnam War film!
on 2 June 2014
Goodness, there aren't words to describe Rival Sons... give them a listen and you will be instantly hooked, this new album is going to be MAGIC! I've pre-ordered a copy of Great Western Valkyrie already and I cannot wait for the postman to knock on my door!!! Digital download, CD or vinyl, they will sound amazing however you listen to them, but live is another world altogether, I have my tickets for June!!!
2 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2015
Great EP. 3 brilliant tracks. Have got all their albums, Before the Fire, Head Down, Pressure and Time and Great Western Valkyrie. Every one is great. Fantastic live band. If there were more stars I would click them all. If you like Blues and Rock in the likes of Led Zep then you will love these guys. I've seen them twice and have another 3 gigs booked. Best band around. Really good musicians and the singer has a voice you will never get tired of hearing.
on 21 June 2014
This is a very competent offering with a couple of hard rock tracks (Electric Man and Open My Eyes) remeniscent of the work of UFO, Whitesnake et al. Good Things is harder to categorise, with an almost late 60's sound. It is much more melodic and you could believe it is a different band playing. Well worth a listen!