on 23 July 2014
A great read, I am not interested in cars and racing but it was a wonderful book, I listened to the son being interviewed on Chris Evans breakfast show, this is what persuaded me, it was terribly funny as was the book and fascinating and moving. Highly recommend.
on 14 February 2016
If this book had been written as a novel everybody would say it was too far fetched to be believable. Written in 1960 a year after he retired at the end 1958, it tells his life story from birth, babyhood, crashes in a pram!, to youth, more crashes, to his years in the fleet arm, more crashes, and finally his more successful years as a Jaguar sports car driver. The stories are legendary, from high 'jinks' in an hotel room where his head accidentally crashes through a thin partition wall into the next room, between the beds of two elderly ladies, and being told to go away because he was a very rude boy, to Le Mans in 1953 where he and his co-driver Tony Rolt believing they have been disqualified on the Friday evening, drown their sorrows with an all night Brandy drinking session, found in a bar, at 10 a.m. by Sir William Lyons (the boss of Jaguar), the race starts at 4 p.m ., after black coffee only made them feel queasy , double brandies did the trick and they went on to win the race. If I could give this book six stars I would, cannot recommend to much.
on 20 August 2014
A thoroughly entertaining book that captures the spirit of those who'd survived the worst parts of the Second World War and were determined to live life to the full. A must read for anyone who has even a passing interest in 1950's motor racing.
on 29 July 2014
An amazing story. Duncan Hamilton certainly lived a charmed life. Looking back from 2014, the risks taken and the loss of life incurred in post-war motor racing is horrifying by today's standards but the focus and dedication of the men involved is beyond all question. Absolutely fascinating insight to a bygone age. All credit to Chris Evans on Radio 2 for featuring this book on his Friday morning show a couple of weeks ago.
on 27 August 2014
I bought this book for my husband as he has an interest in motor racing. He said it was one of the most enjoyable reads he had ever had so full of humour and great adventures. He has recommended it to several friends.
Chris Evans was right with his enthusiasm for this great book.
on 28 July 2014
What a cracking book! I'm not really a tremendous motor racing fan but heard about this book on Chris Evans breakfast show and thought I'd give it a go. It's a great read but I have to say I glazed over a bit at the technical bits. What a fantastic life he had though. Would thoroughly recommend this.
on 24 September 2014
For the motor racing fan there is much to be learned; about the man; about his contemporaries and about racing conditions of his time. If you are not a motor racing fan but enjoy a good 'belly laugh' and are not self-concious of laughing out loud at what you read, you really must read this book. Beware however if you are not a fan of motor racing because this book could make you into one.
The most delightful book I have read in ages.

Mr Pat Butcher
on 1 August 2014
Not a book fan and have not read a book for years but heard Chris Evans talking about 'Touch Wood' on the radio so decided to buy and read it.........could not put it down once I started, excellent read and what a life Duncan Hamilton had.
on 15 March 2015
I downloaded this book prior to my holiday and now sat on my balcony in Grenada as I write. Possibly the best book I have ever read and what an inspiration he was. It certainly was an era that we will never see again and only hints can be gained at such wonderful places as Goodwood and Silverstone historics etc. Ironically I have just seen on line that Hamilton has just won the Australian GP, although very pleased for him I had a wry smile and a desire to step in a time machine and go back 65 years! Interestingly though I searched Tony Rolt and came across an article where he strongly disputed the drinking story pre 53 LeMans, perhaps a touch of artistic licence has been used but none the less....Mr Hamilton.....I salute you sir and know your up there having one big party with the boys!
on 4 May 2016
Duncan Hamilton was a journeyman racing driver and a larger than life character. Not a great deal for the statistician but a rollicking good story that had me laughing out loud at times - particularly noteworthy is the incident involving Mike Hawthorn and a fire hose. The general ambiance of contemporary Grand Prix racing is a galactic jump away from 1950's when Duncan was active. Even if you are not particularly interested in motor racing this would be a brilliant choice as a holiday read.