on 21 October 2014
App icons can tell you a lot. Not only do they tell you how much thought has gone into both the design and presentation but they can also give hints as the the quality of the app too.

This exquisitely engaging game is a joy from start to the all-too-soon finish. As others note, it is short but the simple beauty of the visuals and the thought-provoking gameplay mean this well worth the money. I have a bunch of free, freemium and several paid-for apps which have not engrossed me quite as much as this game.

From start to finish it last about 3 hours. Not a lot I can hear you saying but for the cost it offers pound for pound more punch than a trip to the cinema and is certainly longer lasting than the last pint of beer I bought!

The idea is to guide the princess though a series of Escher-inspired landscapes. The Escher reference alone should be enough to make you download but if it doesn't let me add that the muted colours look wonderful, the uncomplicated screen layout and the oh-so-wasy to learn game controls (hint: tap where you want the princess to go, that's it) mean this is immediately accessible.

I was gripped from the first level (or chapter as it is called in the game) and I think you will be too. It made me smile several times as I unravelled the puzzles and I have not had that experience on a mobile game since The Room.

Go get it. Now. Go on!
on 28 May 2014
Let's get the price issue out of the way first. Yes, £2.49 is relatively expensive for a short game. But this is not a large sum of money. A few chocolate bars, a weekend newspaper, a coffee, all cost around the same amount of money. This is a very beautiful game (except when the graphics glitch a little - usually solved by restarting the level), less of a puzzle than an interactive work of art. It is rarely particularly challenging, with only a couple of sections that require a little thought and the ability to think in 3D, and you could easily finish it in under an hour. But it is so unique that you really should take the time to savour each scene, and play it in short bursts. It is like a beautiful watch mechanism, the way the levels interlock as you change perspective. Designing it must have taken a huge effort, so it is understandable that it is so short. And it never fails to raise a smile, even though I have absolutely no idea what it is actually about! If you are still not convinced about paying for it, there have been enough free Amazon Coins floating around the app store recently that you can effectively get it for free.

UPDATE

So the extra levels have finally reached the Amazon App Store. Expect a flurry of disgruntled reviews from the "something for nothing" brigade about how having to pay a small sum (£1.49) for these extra 8 short levels is the worst crime in history. Do these people expect free coffee from Starbucks if they use the same cup as last time? Free shopping from Sainsburys because they have shopped there before? Each level of Monument Valley is a work of art, and the amount of work that has gone into this game is many orders of magnitude greater than the amount of work most developers put into their entire catalogues. If you don't think that people should be rewarded for their efforts, feel free to throw your toys out of the pram. No one is forcing you to buy this game or its updates.
on 21 May 2014
I love this game, it's stylish, soothing,thought provoking and creative. I've not played anything close to it before and it comes as a refreshing change to previous downloads I've made. The designers are some smart people to think on so many levels and in so many dimensions all at once. Sadly it is tooo short by far but that just leaves me wanting more, by design I guess.
on 13 November 2014
By far the most beautiful and sublime game ever to grace any computer, laptop, phone or tablet!

'Monument Valley' combines stunning M. C. Escher-esque visuals with beautiful ambient music in the style of Brian Eno creating a gaming experience which is both relaxing and challenging.

A picture paints a thousand words and words can hardly describe the journey on which you take the silent Princess Ida. It's a journey you should experience with her - it'll be worthwhile and satisfying to the end. I only hope the the superb team of developers will present us with more of the same in quality and gaming experience.

Meanwhile buy this app and enjoy.
on 23 June 2014
I had a voucher for the app store and chose to use it to buy Monument Valley. It's a beautifully designed game, making you think in differing perspectives. It's restful to play with gorgeous graphics, bewitching and entrancing in equal measures.
It seems a short game, however, the beauty of the game is worth anyone's money. I would have paid full price for this.
Thoroughly recommend and would welcome more of this type of game.
on 13 August 2014
THIS GAME IS AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not really a person, who pays for any game, this one, was sold very cheap, the reviews for it was so good, I was very intrigued.
now, all I can say is.... I have to find more from this maker/company, because it is just brilliant, the music, the colours, the puzzles, ( some were easy, some took me a bit longer),but it is just so perfect,you do need to think; short but I hope, I will find another one like this.I could not put it down, I will play it over and over again, it is just a shame it is so short, but my money, well spend...
All I can say is, give it a try, you will be very pleasant surprised
on 31 May 2014
I got this after watching one of my favourite youtubers played it and fell in love with it. The whole design of the game is brilliant and I think it's awesome how they get you to look at the level or part of the level from different perspectives. However I think that it was very short and I hope they bring out more levels in the future. Overall, if you want to get a game that gives you 10 really good levels and would play the game again then you'll love it.
on 5 August 2014
This is one of very few apps I have bought, but it is most definitely the smoothest game I gave seen. The colours and graphics are fab. As for the story line, haven't a clue what its about, but this game doesn't need a storey line, just enjoy the colours, graphics and smoothness of the moving parts. Splash out and enjoy a bit of escapism for a few minutes at a time,
Developer-any more levels please?
Tony
on 20 May 2014
Stunning graphics & brain twisting plays on perspective. M.C. Escher would be delighted to see his legacy used so charmingly. Not a long game, but a delight to play, look at & listen to. I love it.
on 8 October 2014
There is a lot of things that we can purchase for the price of this game. Are they worth it? It's hard to say. What I can say is, even for the short duration that this game lasted, it was mesmerising and captivating, even as the credits were rolling. The graphics may not be cutting edge or filled with millions of hd pixels and ultra life like, and it certainly isn't a button bashing, blink of the eye shooting game, that seems to be all the rage these days. But the graphics were mind bending, and complexly designed - the level designs looked like intricate mathematical puzzles designed by Escher or Möbius, the background music was enthralling and added to the atmosphere. I'm still in awe at what I've experienced, perhaps there was something in that cup of coffee. I certainly look forward to playing it again.