Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 August 2014
Been a long time coming for this album, Midge at his best,
on 1 August 2014
Fab album, fav tracks are 'I survived' and 'become" almost as good have hearing Midge live.
on 7 July 2014
waited a while for some new solo material from midge and this cd doesn't dissapoint from start to finish each track is beautiful.midge fans will love this and newcomers should take a listen i am sure you will enjoy,well done midge on a superb album 10/10.
on 7 July 2014
I have to say that I approached this album with some trepidation as I am not a great fan of Midge's earlier work or of overly electronic music. However, I found that I was drawn in, slowly and masterfully at first, then completely engulfed in the sheer beauty of these soaring, uplifting songs. Great use of strings and other orchestrations in places and a fine, fine voice. This is some achievement and he deserves great recognition for this work. My album of the year so far and I buy around two hundred albums a year. Just great.
on 8 July 2014
This Is Midge at his best. This album was worth waiting for. The music and lyrics uplift the soul. The songs are so intense that you want to keep listening again and again. Even people not familiar with Midge's music cannot fail to be moved by this newest offering from a true master.
on 15 August 2014
After the triumphant return of Ultravox with the fantastic Brilliant Midge returns with a new long awaited solo offering. I have to say Fragile has exceeded all of my expectation's and without doubt is Midge's finest solo release ever. Every track is quality but special mentions must go to tracks such as the very Ultravoxy, Are We Connected, the different but wonderful Star crossed and the first single from the album the truly fantastic Become, an absolute belter of a track and probably the best single release Midge has made. However the track that steals the show is the haunting and amazing Dark dark night, in my opinion this is Midge Ure's finest solo moment, a truly stunning track! If I had any criticisms it would be the lack of upbeat tracks which I would rather have had on there instead of the Instrumentals, and as has been mentioned already in another review the vocals are a bit whispery at times, Midge's voice is best when he is giving it everything. Tbh this is just nit picking and my own personal preferences, not real criticism. I deliberately waited to review this album as I didn't want to do an instant fanboy writeup and a month on from first listening to it I love it more than I did at the outset. Buy it, give it a chance and you will see this is long lasting masterpiece!
on 3 August 2014
I'm shocked at what I will say here but sadly I think this is poor and move me is a far better album, only saving grace of this album is become & I only say this as its very similar to material from Ultravox's Brilliant. Its in the car at the mo so lets see if it grows on me!
on 7 July 2014
The album contains beautiful seemingly heartfelt lyrics put to great music.

Midge Ure's voice is as timeless & perfect as ever. The music sings to you in its own independent right.

Fragile may have been some time in the making but it's crafted to perfection & was well worth the wait.

The album shows a great deal of maturity & years of experience from a musical master.

Whether an existing fan or someone new to Midges music this album will not disappoint.
on 3 January 2015
Every 1st January I scan the newspapers and the net hoping to read of Midge finally receiving his long-overdue knighthood. As ever, there was no luck this year; it's simply scandalous, really. However, instead of coming away cursing Blighty for its usual short-sightedness and lack of meritocracy, I was fortified to read that Midge had actually brought out an album of new work a few months previously. Hence I decided to fork out a few quid for it; if he can't have a knighthood, I reasoned, he can at least earn his cut of my outlay and treat himself to something nice.
I loved his work when I was a nipper, but will be honest and say that his solo work at the turn of the century left me cold. Moreover the Ultravox reunion album, 'Brilliant', was a little disappointing - I'm guessing that you can't call an album 'Lukewarm' or 'Tepid'. Hence I was a tad cautious here. But on the whole it's very much a return to form. For such an articulate man, he remains a pretty awful lyricist, prone to quasi-spiritual bluster with little insight. Chris Martin disease, in effect. But he's a wonderful musician with an ear for a hook, and this is showcased on many of the tracks here. For me, the standout track is the instrumental 'Wire and Wood', a gorgeous 7 minute slice of ambient electro-pop. The first single, 'Become', is also a corker.
So well worth an investment; tasteful, melodic and really rather lovely.
VINE VOICEon 16 November 2015
Listening to Fragile, it's a mystery as to why Ure isn't commissioned to write more film and TV music, because there is a cinematic scope to much of what's on offer here and he's clearly a talented composer, performer and sound engineer. But, overall Fragile sounds too concerned with the technology of making music, and not enough with the emotion of singing and telling stories. That's strange, because on his live recordings just the opposite is true, and you've only got to listen to the recently released Breathe Again CD to hear what a strong vocal Ure can turn in.

Here, his voice is tucked away and flattened by the electronic landscape he moulds around the songs. Much of it could be eighties synth pop re-mastered, but here and there are glimpses of what the album could have been - soaring melodies and rhythms that, with a bit of paring back, could have been really powerful. It's up there with Move Me - which I thought was a good album, and certainly a three and a half star rather than four star album. But the sheer power of Ure live is not re-captured in the slightly empty and over-engineered sound he has produced here.