Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2014
waited a while for some new solo material from midge and this cd doesn't dissapoint from start to finish each track is beautiful.midge fans will love this and newcomers should take a listen i am sure you will enjoy,well done midge on a superb album 10/10.
on 7 July 2014
I have to say that I approached this album with some trepidation as I am not a great fan of Midge's earlier work or of overly electronic music. However, I found that I was drawn in, slowly and masterfully at first, then completely engulfed in the sheer beauty of these soaring, uplifting songs. Great use of strings and other orchestrations in places and a fine, fine voice. This is some achievement and he deserves great recognition for this work. My album of the year so far and I buy around two hundred albums a year. Just great.
on 8 July 2014
This Is Midge at his best. This album was worth waiting for. The music and lyrics uplift the soul. The songs are so intense that you want to keep listening again and again. Even people not familiar with Midge's music cannot fail to be moved by this newest offering from a true master.
on 15 August 2014
After the triumphant return of Ultravox with the fantastic Brilliant Midge returns with a new long awaited solo offering. I have to say Fragile has exceeded all of my expectation's and without doubt is Midge's finest solo release ever. Every track is quality but special mentions must go to tracks such as the very Ultravoxy, Are We Connected, the different but wonderful Star crossed and the first single from the album the truly fantastic Become, an absolute belter of a track and probably the best single release Midge has made. However the track that steals the show is the haunting and amazing Dark dark night, in my opinion this is Midge Ure's finest solo moment, a truly stunning track! If I had any criticisms it would be the lack of upbeat tracks which I would rather have had on there instead of the Instrumentals, and as has been mentioned already in another review the vocals are a bit whispery at times, Midge's voice is best when he is giving it everything. Tbh this is just nit picking and my own personal preferences, not real criticism. I deliberately waited to review this album as I didn't want to do an instant fanboy writeup and a month on from first listening to it I love it more than I did at the outset. Buy it, give it a chance and you will see this is long lasting masterpiece!
on 2 August 2014
This new solo album from Midge is simply awesome and is a very mature and personal look at his life over the last few years. Although the tracks, apart from the brilliant Become, are of a slower tempo than previous solo offerings you find yourself listening to the orchestration and composition of the songs more closely. Wire And Wood is a prime example which is simply a stunning piece of music. I have been an avid fan of Midge and Ultravox for over 30 years and this in my opinion is the best of his solo pieces. Midge is vastly underrated as a solo performer and deserves every success. The plus sign for me is that he has gone back to his electronic roots on this album which is where I think his best work lies. Dark, Dark Night, Are We Connected and Let It Rise are further examples of this. All in all a superb piece of work. Go and buy it !! Also see Midge live when you can, you will not be disappointed.
on 7 July 2014
The album contains beautiful seemingly heartfelt lyrics put to great music.

Midge Ure's voice is as timeless & perfect as ever. The music sings to you in its own independent right.

Fragile may have been some time in the making but it's crafted to perfection & was well worth the wait.

The album shows a great deal of maturity & years of experience from a musical master.

Whether an existing fan or someone new to Midges music this album will not disappoint.
on 8 July 2014
First Of All, I Would Like To Personally Thank You Midge, For Giving me back My Faith In True, Proper Music, The Buzz Of Anticipation Of Receiving A Truly Sensational New Album, 10 Immense, Beautifully Crafted Songs, I Am A Very Long Time Midge/Ultravox/ Fan...And On "Fragile" You Definatly Hear Moments Of These periods! I Have Been Constantly Playing This Album From Track 1 To 10 On a loop Since I Got it. And EVERY TIME I Feel SO Uplifted And Calmed etc!!

"I Survived" Kicks Things Off...A Story of A Time In Midge"s Life When He Felt Vulnerable, And The Lyrics Say it All, With An Uplifting Feel, " Are We Connected" To me Definatly has An "Ultravox" Feel About it!! Maybe A Cutter From The "Brilliant" Album By Ultravox 2 Years ago! Track 3 "Let it Rise" Actually Has a Similar Feel !! Perhaps An Influence From the Re-union Back in 2010! "Become" Is The First Single From The Album Which Radio 2 Have On their Playlist Currently ( Well Done Radio 2! ) It Is For me The 1 Track That Veers abit Towards Midge"s Time With Visage, With a Distinctive Melodic "Nudge " Towards That Visage sound!
Track 5.."Star Crossed" Is a GEM of A Song....This Is Currently My Joint Favourite Song! ( Although!! Because of The Exceptionally Strong Tunes Of The Product..This Alters Each day!!) The Production Throughout This Album Is Grand and Spell Binding, Then We Come Onto "Wire And Wood".....Track 6.....And What Can I Say?? .....It Is an Instrumental, It Is Jaw Dropping........For me, The BEST Instrumental I Have Heard In MANY Years.......On First Listen..I Had Tears Dropping From my Eyes..."Wire and Wood" Takes you To Places You Feel like Going To, In My Case, It Was To the Day I Lost my Dad last Year...Just a Personal Moment I Guess!! However! It Is What you Want it To be........I Think It Is Midge"s Greatest Instrumental Piece , And Should be In a Film As Backing Music.
"Dark.Dark Knight" Is A Collaboration With Moby........So!! Not Just 1 Musical Genius!! But 2!!......And It Pays off......Moby With His Distinctive Keyboard Style And Midge on Guitar.......It is PERFECT! And A Fabulous Song To Boot!! " For All You Know" Is a Song I Totally Adore, It"s Textures..Beauty, And Production, It is Sublime In Its Being,
"Bridges" Is The Other Instrumental On The Album, And Though It Doesn"t have the Show stopping Feel of Wire and Wood, It Is Still An Excellent Catchy Piece Of music .....The Finale Is The Title Track!! And This Has To be One Of Midge"s Finest Moments, Generated Through His Musical "Nouse" Experiences And Generally, "Fragile" Starts Pretty Quietly Really!!......But It Is Not Very long Before You Hear and Feel It Building Into This Anthemic Almost "Ultravoxy" Grandious Piece!!.....The Last 3/4 Minutes Really DO Take your Breathe Away......Basically Telling you To Start Listening to The Album All Over Again!!

For Me...This Is Definatly Midge Ure"s BEST Solo Album........By Some Distance! He Just Get"s Better And better With Age!!!....... This Album IS a "MUST BUY" If You Do Not Believe me!....Read The Other Reviews!!...My Favourite Album Of 2014 By a Country Mile .
VINE VOICEon 16 November 2015
Listening to Fragile, it's a mystery as to why Ure isn't commissioned to write more film and TV music, because there is a cinematic scope to much of what's on offer here and he's clearly a talented composer, performer and sound engineer. But, overall Fragile sounds too concerned with the technology of making music, and not enough with the emotion of singing and telling stories. That's strange, because on his live recordings just the opposite is true, and you've only got to listen to the recently released Breathe Again CD to hear what a strong vocal Ure can turn in.

Here, his voice is tucked away and flattened by the electronic landscape he moulds around the songs. Much of it could be eighties synth pop re-mastered, but here and there are glimpses of what the album could have been - soaring melodies and rhythms that, with a bit of paring back, could have been really powerful. It's up there with Move Me - which I thought was a good album, and certainly a three and a half star rather than four star album. But the sheer power of Ure live is not re-captured in the slightly empty and over-engineered sound he has produced here.
on 3 January 2015
Every 1st January I scan the newspapers and the net hoping to read of Midge finally receiving his long-overdue knighthood. As ever, there was no luck this year; it's simply scandalous, really. However, instead of coming away cursing Blighty for its usual short-sightedness and lack of meritocracy, I was fortified to read that Midge had actually brought out an album of new work a few months previously. Hence I decided to fork out a few quid for it; if he can't have a knighthood, I reasoned, he can at least earn his cut of my outlay and treat himself to something nice.
I loved his work when I was a nipper, but will be honest and say that his solo work at the turn of the century left me cold. Moreover the Ultravox reunion album, 'Brilliant', was a little disappointing - I'm guessing that you can't call an album 'Lukewarm' or 'Tepid'. Hence I was a tad cautious here. But on the whole it's very much a return to form. For such an articulate man, he remains a pretty awful lyricist, prone to quasi-spiritual bluster with little insight. Chris Martin disease, in effect. But he's a wonderful musician with an ear for a hook, and this is showcased on many of the tracks here. For me, the standout track is the instrumental 'Wire and Wood', a gorgeous 7 minute slice of ambient electro-pop. The first single, 'Become', is also a corker.
So well worth an investment; tasteful, melodic and really rather lovely.
on 16 September 2014
Just listened to the new album... but I only like tracks 4,6 and 7. Track 4 (Become) stands out as the single and inspired by a Visage album track on The Anvil called "Look What They've Done To Me" - very 80's! Track 6 (Wire And Wood" was an instrumental with so many layers that I need to listen to that one again with my eyes closed and headphones on... Track 7 (Dark, Dark Night) had a great arrangement musically, and I could at last hear Midge's vocals coming through more clearly than in the first 3 tracks! Being honest, I think that the Ultravox album "Brilliant" was better... Midge's vocals sounded overwhelmed by the musical arrangements in most of the songs - perhaps instrumentals are the future for Midge's solo projects. The vocals were also sometimes put through some machine or other, which further limited the clarity and power - "Look at the sound of the voice" Midge! I think that track 7 should've finished abruptly rather than with a fade-out. For a better combination of music and vocal from an 80's singer, listen to Alison Moyet's album called "The Minutes". And I'm sorry Midge... I've bought most of your records, seen most of the shows, but if you toured Fragile I wouldn't go! Time for another Best Of... compilation of the solo material, remastered.