Colour Name: Walnut|Style Name: FiftyThree Stylus|Change

on 22 December 2014
UPDATE: Just a word of caution to anyone who intends to buy this. If you don't see yourself spending money continuously to maintain this stylus then I urge you not to buy it. I have only had this Pencil for 3 days and have only used it to make a couple light sketches and a full drawing just yesterday. It seems that four hours of working on a full drawing was enough to wear the Pencil out completely. I now have two gaping holes on the rubber tip itself which makes it extremely difficult to draw as expected.

I feel that 53 has mislead their customers by advertising that the rubber tip is "DURABLE" on its website. I thought they had actually fixed this longstanding issue that their customers have had and that was why they were describing the tip so confidently like that. Turns out that it was still the same. I have tried my best to draw as carefully as possible to ensure that the tip did not wear that fast but it is inevitable that continuously swiping a thin piece of rubber that probably was of low grade quality against the iPad's screen that was heating up from use simultaneously with the friction would contribute to accelerated wearing. On top of that, every time the rubber tip slowly began to wear, pieces of black residue would leave trails on the screen and dirty my hands and the iPad's screen. I am not surprised if there are already scratches on the screen itself from all these.

I would have understood if they had a precaution on their website to warn potential customers on this matter or some form of advise to prevent the tip from wearing that easily but of course their greed comes into play as well. I should have heeded the comments from most of the people here who repeatedly mentioned how not durable this stylus was.

Nice, sleek design and the walnut material gives it a pretty decent grip but feature-wise, it does not exactly compel me to recommend it to people. Its features seem to encounter a lot of hiccups whilst using which I hope they can fix in future firmware updates. Because the tip is quite wide, drawing small dots or making finer details to a drawing seems like such an impossible feat. As a result, I always have to scale my drawing up to make it easier. There's also a noticeable 0.5s lag between the pen and the input on the screen which kind of kills the mood for me of drawing on an iPad as it does not make the experience more natural for the user even though that's what it promotes itself to do. Battery life is okay if you don't draw that much. All around, this pen is not worth the hefty price tag at all.
44 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2014
Having used Paper for a while now I couldn't wait to get my hands on pencil. At first I baulked at the price but a special-ish offer swayed me and I ordered one about a month ago. I went for the walnut version and in terms of looks and tactility it doesn't disappoint.

However it was a failure straight out of the box. The attached tip just wouldn't connect, so eventually I followed the manufacturers instructions and replaced with the included replacement tip - take note they know their tips are rubbish. The extra tips included not for when the first wears out but instead in case the first doesn't work. That doesn't inspire confidence. But, though I should have returned it then and there, stupidly, I persevered.

The replacement tip sort of worked on and off for shout two weeks. It had flashes of brilliance where everything was perfect - it responded to pressure, from the lightest to the firmest of touches. It worked with the finger blending option. Palm rejection worked. A dream.

I'd say from a total usage of around 20 hours (2-3 hours a day for a couple of weeks) it worked perfectly for about 2 hours.

The rest of the time it was nothing more than a bog standard stylus. No it didn't even work that well. It would disconnect. The tip wouldn't make a mark. The marks were wrong or unexpected i.e. It would blend unexpectedly rather than draw which would necessitate me having to turn off the finger blending option in the menu - very annoying.

Finally today it just stopped working altogether. The replacement tip won't connect at all and the original tip (tried as a last resort) does now connect but won't work unless I exert a ridiculous amount of force on the screen. Useless. Because of the flashes of brilliance I almost spent another £10.50 on a set of two replacement tips. Then I saw sense, finally.

Incredibly disappointing from such an expensive and promising product. And particularly from a brand that has been so careful about delivering great products thus far. Come on 53 get it sorted!
22 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2014
I opened the Pencil after breakfast and used it intermittently during that first day, really enjoying drawing with it and being able to flip it around and use the eraser. When not using it I kept it protected. By evening of that day the thin rubber at the end of the tip had already broken. I tried the replacement tip which it came with, but that one had a small divot on one side where it should make contact with some metal inside the body and it refused to work properly; if the pen was disconnected from the app I couldn't pair it, and if I tried to switch the tips after connecting with the old tip then it worked for a couple of lines before degenerating into odd behaviour, like the draw and erase functions switching ends. Against my better judgement I've ordered a set of replacement tips, but unless they're astonishingly good quality I'm going to give the whole thing up and return it.
on 14 May 2015
When I first got it I had issue with the eraser which could not erase but blend like it was recognised as a finger. Then I tried reboot both iPad and pencil and it helped a bit: now in most of the time it can erase if you press it hard on the corner but still blend if you try use it flat. As for the tip it's sensitive but almost worn out after a few days use (to be exact I'm not using it much). I like the app and paid for the functions before I purchased the pencil but now I'm disappointed and it's definitely overpriced considering the quality.
review image
on 6 September 2015
I got this delivered after a week. As a prime member I was expecting a quicker delivery. Anyway. After It came, i plugged it on to charge this for the 1st time. The red light has been on for the last 6 hours, its supposed to turn green after 90 mins when its ugly charged. It doesn't connect to the paper app, or any other app on the iPhone or iPad. The bluetooth fails to recognise it. I would expect to see a quality, functioning product as 40pounds is not cheap. Very disappointed.
on 24 March 2015
I've been using this product for about a fortnight now, and have to say I'm not impressed by the quality of the nib. I bought it to use for drawing on an iPad, but after four sketches the silicone tip has worn through and is showing two separate holes in it. I have also noticed that the material peels off onto my iPad while drawing, so clearly it hasn't been built to last. I shouldn't have buy new tips every month, so unless 53 come up with a good explanation, I cant recommend this to anyone. For a stylus that is marketed as a "Pencil" one would expect the tip to be engineered for better durability. Shame really, because otherwise it would be perfect.
review image
on 4 March 2015
I like this - especially the eraser on the top. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the tip has issues with longevity / abuse. Needs a redesign I think. I also have a couple of other 'fine tips' like the Bamboo which I use more now.
on 25 July 2014
Update4 : Apparently an app called Noteself supports Pencil 53 , as I don't own the app I can't comment on how well it works.( Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus also supported)

Update3 : Procreate also supports Pencil 53 ( unless they decide to create their own hardware), works well but not as well as the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus.

Update2 : Added a star , since my review . Still use my other Bluetooth pen more(in other Apps) but this does work so well in the Paper 53 App.

Update1 : Pencil 53 Replacement Tips and Eraser are far too expensive for me.

-------------------------------------

Works nicely with in the Paper 53 App, you could use it as a normal stylus outside of the App but I wouldn't as the cost of replacing the nibs will likely be quite high.( Would be nice to how much are the replacement nibs going to cost, they don't have them on Amazon UK yet)

Build quality is good. Looks and feels nice to use.

Would be nice if they included a carry case/ pouch ( for the price )

If you use the App often then it might be something to consider, there are other Bluetooth pens available that work in multiple Apps. Paper 53 don't plan on adding compatibility with for other products except for the Pogo which was already implemented.

So essentially it's a gadget and unless you actively use Paper 53 I would not recommend it as it's pricey and limited (at this point anyway) to the App Paper 53.

To Sum Up

If you use Paper 53 and absolutely must have it , then you might find it useful.

If you use other Note Taking / Drawing Apps then best to move on and find another product.(e.g Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus )

Only 3 stars as it's expensive for what it is.
on 25 September 2015
This stylus looks great, the nib isn't as big as I'd though it was going to be which is great as it does allow you to be quiet accurate with it, especially if writing notes. The walnut edition holds to my case, though not very strongly, it would be easy to knock off, and it compliments its look.
That said it has been bought to draw and write and while it does work with my air 2 (and as one of the only stylus advertised to) it is not very fluid. Now I believe this is the case with almost all bluetooth stylus as the ipad screens don't have the tech built in to properly work with the stylus hence the bluetooth is simply trying to emulate it. Unfortunately this leads to the stylus cutting out mid stroke causing you to frequently need to go back to correct. I've still gave it three stars as its definitely a step up from using your finger and in the paper app by the same company it integrates for a great experience when it works. Unfortunately because of its intermittent performance I believe it is over prices, as half the price I would have gave it 4 starts but at the £50 I paid for it I had hoped for better performance.
on 2 July 2014
This is a lovely looking product and delightful to hold. The only problem is that it didn't work consistently for me and I was so frustrated with trying to use it that I returned it (now replaced with a Adonit Jot which works beautifully). Imagine if you will, using a real life pencil and sometimes when you draw with it produces a line and sometimes it doesn't, well that's what it was like.