Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£13.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 February 2015
This is a gloriously unusual fantasy read set in a small (VERY small) Texas town where most (if not all) the inhabitants are of the paranormal persuasion. Manfred Bernardo who is a minor character in the Harper Connelly books by the same author moves to the town following the death of his grandmother to set up his psychic business. As the books develops he meets his neighbours - the owner of the pawnshop (Bobo Winthrop from the Lily Bard books), his lodgers who only go out at night, the resident witch and her cat, the very strange minister who has a pet cemetery, and the other inhabitants. There is a slow beginning but the author needs the time to introduce her characters and to hint at their secrets.

After a time the body of Bobo's missing girlfriend is discovered and it appears that she has been murdered. The inhabitants of the town and the local sheriff (I recognised him from the Aurora Teagarden novels) investigate and the town which has seemed twee and safe is suddenly revealed to have some very dark secrets and some people dedicated to keeping them hidden.

This is a clever and engaging book. It seems on the surface to be a fun story of magical folk but it actually has a lot of depth. The theme of the book is diversity and living together as exemplified in the various characters in the town but there is also an examination of bigotry and hate. The ending of the story is truly shocking and you certainly cannot see it coming from the gentle beginning - I am very much looking forward to seeing where the author takes us in subsequent novels.
on 8 May 2014
Midnight Crossroad's has a writing style unlike anything I have ever read before. The best way I can describe it is as a omnipresent narrative. With that being said, It did take me a few chapters to get into- but once I was there, I couldn't put it down.

I am only familiar with Charlaine Harris through her Sookie Stackhouse books and I was unsure if I would like this new offering. I am pleased to say I did.

Midnight Crossroad, Texas is a bizarre town full of supernatural beings. It sounds like a old joke: A vampire, witch and psychic walk into bar; what you get is a wacky who done it with plenty of unforgettable characters.

This is a great start to a new series. It is full of unique characters; all with a story to tell. If you are looking for a book that is slightly different from the normal summer reads, then this is the book for you.
on 5 September 2015
he beginning of the book is slow as Harris introduces us to numerous characters and sets the scene in Midnight, however after all the introductions are made the pace picks up speed fairly quickly.

By using Manfred as one the main narrators, Harris enables the reader to discover the secrets of Midnight more easily as he joins the community (newbies have to stick together). All the Midnighters have a secret, some are quite mysterious, others are quite open in their abilities, others seem perfectly normal. Also just when you feel you can comfortably put everyone in their boxes something new and mysterious turns up.

Midnight is a small enough place for the reader to feel they know all the inhabitants but large enough that the secrets can remain hidden. The narrative moves between the characters which is easy to keep track of, as each character has a distinctive voice. By changing the character and the point of view Harris adds to the suspense of the mystery as not all the facts are known to all the characters.

The mystery over the murder of Bobo’s girlfriend will keep you guessing to the end. And who it is? Harris enables all the characters to be suspicious and it is not until the very end that the murderer is revealed.

This is a really fun intriguing read, and sets the series up nicely. What will happen in Midnight next? Who knows, but what I do know is that I am eagerly anticipating the next one!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 April 2015
Thank you to Orion/Gollancz for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I confess I should have read this book a long time ago, well what I mean is usually when a Charlaine Harris book comes out I buy it straight away and devour it, but Midnight Crossroad came out not long after I started blogging and I was excitedly overwhelmed by some other crazy good books and they kind off got in the way.

If you are a fan you will know book 2 in this series (of which I will be reviewing soon, making up for lost time you see!) is out soon and I wanted to see if Midnight Crossroad lived up to the excellence of it's predecessors, you know the ones - Aurora, Sookie, Harper and Lily plus countless other stories Charlaine has written.

Midnight was nearly a did not finish, just nearly but I persevered, Midnight is a small town is the back end of nowhere, Texas, it's inhabitants are few but the ones who live there are close knit and a little on the eccentric side, new arrival Manfred Bernardo (devoted readers of CH's work should recognise this character from a previous series) has come to Midnight to start a new life and to work in private as a psychic.

Now as we learn about him and the other people who live here it seemed to take ages to get anywhere, it did plod a little, those first couple dozen pages where a little tough but they are worth the wait.

The book all of a sudden goes from slow burn to WTF just happened? What seemed to be a book about some quirky characters turns in to a supernatural murder mystery with the added bonus of some characters from all of her series popping in to the dialogue.

I don't want to spoil it for you but one of the town's residents girlfriend had walked out on him, her body is found, he is a suspect but it turns out her life was full of lies plus he has some of his and the other residents lives slowly become less private as the police start snooping round and some less desirable characters too.

Charlaine Harris is one of my favourite writers (though I'm not sure if I have forgiven her for the last Sookie book) and I am glad I stuck with this one, thinking back the town (if you can call it that) of Midnight is slow paced and the start of the book introduces us gently to the characters, told from several POV's too it really is an enjoyable read and I shall be starting book 2 very shortly.
on 23 January 2016
I am a big fan of Sookie Stackhouse & am getting to know Harper Connolly - but the folk who live in Midnight are completely new, and fresh, and none of them are what they seem! Everyone has a secret, and so all are very courteous about keeping each other's secrets or not prying, so I felt that we only scraped the surface in this first novel, and I am looking forward to getting to know all the residents better. You wont be disappointed if you like vampires, and witches and psychics - but this is a much more gentle journey of discovery than the 'Sookie' books which are very action driven. I cant wait to read more.
on 25 April 2015
This is the first book in the Midnight, Texas trilogy. Manfred Bernardo moves into the small town of Midnight and is helped to move in by some of his neighbours. He’s a psychic and quickly discovers that his neighbours are very accepting, including him in events they organise, like the first annual picnic. He also finds out that they include a witch and a vampire, amongst others! Bobo, who runs the local pawn shop, is troubled by the disappearance of his partner, Aubrey, and his past. There again, most residents in this tight knit community has secrets but whatever happens they’re very supportive of each other especially following the discovery at the picnic!

The story is told from multiple points of view. Some secrets are revealed - but others are not, remain teasers for the next book in the series. I’d like to say I loved this and look forward to the next books in the series but, very sorry, I can’t. It was an ok read (hence the 3*), it has a great range of characters and overall plot but the pace seemed so slow at times it was difficult to want to keep reading. Actually, I loved some of the author’s earlier books but this one just didn’t totally engage me but don’t let that put you off, you may well love it!

Thanks to the author, publishers and NetGalley, too, for letting me read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on 8 May 2014
Midnight Crossroads, Charlaine Harris.
Arc supplied via Netgalley

I'm a fervent Sookie Stack-house fan, have reads the whole series a few times now * blush *, and enjoyed the Lily Bard series also, and when I saw Charlaine had a new series beginning I had to request a copy!
So, what did I think? Well, Sookie had me engrossed from the first page, but this has a more gentle feel. It took me a while to really get into the book, although I “knew” Bobo the other characters were new to me, not having read the other series Charlaine wrote. However they're all interesting characters and as the story moved on I felt like I was getting to know them better. It must be difficult writing a new series after so many years immersed in BonTemps, and its become such a popular series that Charlaine's name becomes almost synonymous with Sookie Stack-house...and that's a tough act to follow. Writing is tough anyway – I know, I tried ( and failed!) so following a popular novel is a real challenge but one that's working well here I think. I like the idea of meeting some of the characters as they have grown on.
Bobo is older than when I knew him, but still the same affable, generous man. The other characters each had their own quirks, Manfred, a new resident to Midnight, is an online Psychic, Fiji who's a witch ( with the fabulous cat Mr Snuggles!!), there's the Rev, slightly mysterious, very aloof, and respected by all, he does weddings and pet funerals...Lemuel, a vampire with a difference, Olivia – well, she's clearly more than human but I’m not sure exactly what she is. There are others too, but these seem to be the main characters so far, and the story slowly unfolds. Its a gentle mystery, setting the scene for some further developments from this story I suspect...and I didn't work out who or what was behind it. I like being surprised and this certainly caught me out.
It feels as though even though I think I know more about these people and the mystery that developed by the end of the novel, there's still very much more to come, and I'm hoping its going to be another fairly long series. It appears like one of those where you think once the mystery has been solved that's it, end, finis, and yet it's not, each development builds on to a larger, more complex one, and we get lost in a different world. It's a gentle start, not an in the throat, grab you and suck you in to the story that Sookie was for me, but more the slow introduction and build up of characters and story that the Lily Bard mysteries were. I enjoyed it, but I think I was expecting a more Sookie type of drama. My bad, its clearly labelled as something very different. Still – I want to read more, and see where this series is taking us. Its a subdued, gentle start, not a drama filled, emotional read. I've genuinely no idea what's going to come next, that's part of the fun, and I enjoyed this beginning to a new series.
Stars: Four, a very interesting beginning
ARC supplied via Netgalley.
on 24 May 2016
Having read the Sookie then Harper books I was looking forward to reading more Charlaine Harris, unfortunately I was left disappointed and underwhelmed by this book. It was slow, had a range of uninspiring characters (with no stand out lead) and I had to force myself to read it to the end. Maybe if I'd read it before Sookie and Harper I would have found it more ccaptivating, as a comparison though it is a dull read and it is unlikely I will go on to read the others in the series.
on 14 September 2015
Being a fan of the sookie Stackhouse books I wasn't sure if I would like this book. The people of midnight are a strange bunch and I like that but the story was a bit slow and more depth of characters is needed I think. But overall I enjoyed the story and introduction to the people of midnight. Hopefully they will get better as the characters evolve.
on 18 August 2015
I'm already in love! Was worried I wasn't going to find something to fill the Sookie stories void but this will do nicely. I've not been especially fond of Charlaine's Aurora Teagarden or Harper Connelly series but I really liked this book within the first few chapters.
Most of the characters are endearing and she hooks you with their secrets.