Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 19 May 2014
I was compelled to write this review after reading the 1 star effort by the chap who didn't seem to understand that:

a) this isn't real - it's a mostly improvised melancholic comedy
b) Coogan and Brydon play caricature versions of themselves, particularly emphasising their negative personality traits.

I found this series more of an event to watch as you can't deny the beauty of their surroundings which they seem to take more for granted, further emphasising their celebrity status. Some of the improvised scenes, especially their commentary on The Dark Knight are pure genius and I also learnt plenty about Byron and Shelley too.

Where to go on the next trip? I'd like to see The Trip to Japan.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2014
I loved the full 3 hour version of THE TRIP. I was overjoyed to hear there was another. They have hit on a great presentation - fine scenery, some character studies and salient remarks about the times we live in and the media - not to mention celebrities. Then there are the impressions, not just used for effect, but also to make other comments about the characters in a Pythonesque way. This one is more bittersweet - if there are more, great. If not, this is a good way to leave it, with a balance. Those who have seen both may understand why I write that. I heartily recommend it - I feel these shows will go down as classics, perhaps a new genre has even been invented here.
on 28 January 2015
There is something wrong with me. I'm sure of it. I'm sure I used to hate these kinds of shows. Then I saw the Alan Partridge movie and suddenly I found myself racing to catch up with all things Coogan. Not of all it landed well. Some of Coogan's Run was a little off key for me, but The Trip and the movie that came before it were brilliant. I get that they're not everyone's cup of tea but there's something about the minimalistic direction and the fine line between comic and seemingly stripped down characters that I love. This is just as strong as the first series for me. If anything it is a little lighter in places but I don't think it suffers for that. This, for me, really is about two good friends showing just what they can do without restrictions of character or expectation and I think Michael Winterbottom may well be directing some of the finest looking TV comedy we have at the moment.
An accuired taste? Sure. Worth accuring? Without a doubt.
on 11 October 2015
If I had a friend like either of these two I would probably end up punching them, as they would irritate me to the point where I would consider ending it all. But together, on a DVD, they are thoroughly amusing and like-able. The scenery is stunning, the dialogue always amusing, the food is simply inspirational and I like the fact that they tell you what each meal costs, which somehow grounds the whole thing in reality for me. Great !
on 18 April 2015
A wonderful comic epic journey with two greats of British comedy against a wondrously delicious Italian backdrop delicious witha bit of middle aged men angst thrown in, along with the virtual company of Michael Caine, Alan Bennet and more
on 22 June 2015
It conquers the sequel trap by being as good as the first Trip and manages to introduce other themes eg relationship with son without getting too sentimental or indeed other people like the cheerfully pregnant PA without diluting the story of the two principals.
on 15 September 2014
Not as perfect as the original The Trip, but still a must have if you've already seen the former. It's brilliant and the direction is very good too, but it's basically built on the same formula adopted in the previous season.
You might love it because of the italian setting, if you are a foreigner.
You will feel it's a little too cliche and posh in the selection pf the places, restaurant and situations, if you see it from an italian point of view.
Apart from that, you will still find the brilliant idea of mixing aspects of characters' real life, with intimate drama, unscripted comedy and documentary.
on 24 July 2014
An interesting gastronomic journey around some of the various regions of Italy which my late wife and I have visited over past years.It brought back some fond memories.I think however that the table banter could be varied a bit and the impressions are getting a little repetitively overdone!!
on 16 February 2017
Brilliant, a worthy follow up to the first. Although there seems to be slightly more melancholia to this one, and perhaps some more dwelling on death and failure or self pity, which seems to manifest in a longing to be a famous actor or poet or both. But this is very entertaining nevertheless. It has the added bonus of beautiful scenery.
on 11 August 2014
The first series of The Trip was sublime, hilarious, borderline-genius and in a part of the world I know well. Series 2 in Italy was on first-watch a bit of a disappointment especially the first episode. BUT, the more I have watched it the funnier it gets! It is not as good as series 1 but it is a very, very funny series. Would recommend