on 5 August 2016
Your of to a great start when you hear that Christopher Walken is in the movie a legend of an actor since the dawn of his time on the screen. I went and watched the Jersey Boys in the West End london and within five minutes of the show starting everyone was on their feet dancing in the aisles as the miusic just makes you want to get up and dance.
This production was great I really enjoyed it giving an even deeper insight to where they all grew up what they ddi befeore and the hardships in getting to the top.
Frankie Valli and the fours seasons remain for me anyway one of the all time great bands and entertainers in my lifetime and would recommend anyone to see this movie and enjoy it.
Never got to hear my favourite all time track from them "The Night", but the sound track was excellent.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 September 2014
Amazing film. Having seen the show in London (twice), New York and Las Vegas and loved every second I was very excited at the film release. I have been disappointed by the critics comparing this film to the likes of Mamma Mia. Mamma Mia etc are stories using the songs of music greats. The Jersey Boys is based on the true story of the rise and fall of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Which means to learn the background the film can't always be musical. It was a fantastic film and seeing the group age and live real lives was brilliant. Pre ordered already before I even saw the film. I was born in the seventies so don't remember the time they were around and when I went to the cinema too see it there were some a lot younger than me and I expected them to just be noisy all through but they were silent and enjoying the film and music.
12 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 October 2016
Great "Feel Good" film that you want to sing along to telling the story of Franki Valli and the four seasons. It tells the story of how it all began starting back in 1951 with Frankie and his band ( friends ) around New Jersey, making a living through dead end jobs in barber shops, bowling alleys and handling & selling goods that " fell of the truck " as well as hanging out with mobster Gyp Decarlo before hitting it big when they encounter song-writer Bob Gaudino followed by Record Producer Bob Crewe,They then start making thier hit songs.It explains all the ups and downs of mixing fame , jealousy and family. It is one film that I recommend.
4 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2015
Having seen the London Stageshow a number of times, I wanted to own the dvd, despite the fact that it wasn't the London cast, but the New York one. I do still prefer the cast I saw in London, but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the dvd, being a big Frankie Valli fan from the 60s.

I read that Clint Eastwood always planned to use the same people, having seen the show a number of times, and this made sense. Tried and tested show since 2005 in New York, and many other theatres around the world since then, the formula works so why change it? No big name stars (when they first joined the cast at least) which allows the story to be about Frankie Valli, and not the person "playing" him, which is also true of the film.

Excellent music, excellent voices and very well acted.
7 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2014
My wife and I saw the stage show at the August Wilson theatre in New York a year last September and were totally blown away. We both agreed that it was the best show that we had ever seen and believed that to be because it was in their 'backyard', We therefore didn't want to tarnish that experience by seeing it elsewhere and it was with a lot of trepidation that we went to the cinema to see this movie. I'm glad to say that Clint Eastwood didn't let us down, this movie is brilliant and a true interpretation of the stage show. We were joined at the cinema by a couple of friends who aren't, or should I say weren't, fans of this genre. They also agreed that it was a very good movie. Whether you've seen the show or not or aren't fans of FV and the 4S the story of these guys alone is strong enough to carry the movie. I will certainly be purchasing this dvd as a Xmas pressie for the wife.
6 people found this helpful
on 15 December 2014
Breaking into song every minutes and saying dialog with lyrics gets right on my nerves. I can't stand it! If you agree then you will love Jersey Boys because it is not a musical but a gangster movie with great songs in. In some ways it reminded me of Goodfellas but without the violence of course. We dont have Joe Peci stabbing someone to death in the boot of a car or Robert DeNiro stamping on someones head. Jersey Boys is about The Four Seasons but the focus is more about them as individuals that happen to be singers. All the characters have their own story to tell which they narrate throughout the film in middle of their scenes with great effect. It's a bit like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas but instead of a voice over the cast speak directly into the camera to us, the viewer.

The end scene as the credits role is pure musical. The entire cast are put together singing and dancing down the street as it would (I think, but I have not seen it) be on the stage. It works really well and even though I mentioned that I hate pure musicals, the film still sits nicely on the right side of being very enjoyable and not annoying at all. Not that it would annoy me because Clint Eastwood is a master filmmaker. Look how diverse he is with directorial masterpieces like Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Mystic River and Gran Torino. Eastwood has never been afraid to try new things throughout his amazing career. Right back to Honkytonk Man, Bronco Billy, Bird and even the more recent Letters From Iwo Jima and Hereafter. All may not have been as commercially successful as say the Dirty Harry films but that is what make Eastwood so great. He makes these films because he wants to and is happy to take the risks.

Jersey Boys is stunning to watch and the soundtrack will have you tapping your feet. You don't have to like musicals or even The Four Seasons to enjoy this. Oh yes before I forget, watch out for the scene where an episode of Rawhide is playing on the TV in a hotel room.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2014
Eastwood's decision to focus more on the darker side of the tale (organised crime, horrendous gambling debts) is understandable, but unfortunately it throws off the stage show's balancing act between the music and the darkness at the heart of the story; just when the play starts to feel very despairing, one of the group's brilliant songs is performed, which lifts the mood.

This isn't the case with the film, which has a relatively smaller amount of musical content (the pasted on performance coda feels like just that), and, in the end, feels sour and grim and ultimately isn't satisfying as either a vintage mob story or as a musical.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 March 2015
This is an entertaining and ultimately uplifting well-judged film successfully combining drama, humour and classic songs. Director Clint Eastwood skilfully presents the true tale of the Four Seasons, their low life roots from the wrong side of the tracks in New Jersey to their high flying harmony success in the music industry. However, their success comes at a cost, as family lives are disrupted and unforeseen financial issues are suddenly sprung on the group when they are at the zenith of their fame. There is good period detail and the straight to camera monologues are effective in presenting differing perspectives of events. The ensemble acting is excellent throughout as is the music and the Bollywood style ending with Christopher Walken joining in the dancing topped off a hugely enjoyable movie.
One person found this helpful
on 21 December 2014
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this film, if you like the songs of The Four Seasons then you can't fail to do so either. I personally am never comfortable with the Americanization of our English language, and director Clint Eastwood's striving for realism means that bad language is also a part of the film. The film depicts the upbringing of group of young musicians in the rough area of New Jersey near New York USA, it shows how "Making It" in the pop industry is not just a bowl of cherries. The group changed their name a number of times before coming up with "The Four Seasons" and I found it interesting to see how every thing developed with them. John Lloyd Young won a Tony Award for his portrayal of Frankie Valli, and the statistics of their eventual success are pretty impressive. Seeing and hearing the songs "Rag Doll", "Sherry", "Walk Like A Man", "Bye Bye Baby" and "Big Girls Don'tCry" was quite a trip down Memory Lane. I don't recall "Silence Is Golden" being sung, which if it was missed out must be the only fault with the film - I'll have to look at it again soon.
on 19 June 2015
Having seen Jersey Boys the musical in the West End I was keen to see this film, was surprised to see it was directed by Clint Eastwood (who makes a chameo appearance - blink and you miss it) The story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons growing up in New Jersey, the dodgy dealings of their teenage years and the friendship and problems within the group. All the songs are there with a fab montage of them all at the end with the whole cast singing and dancing their way down the street. Christopher Walken plays a great mafia type friend of the group with great tongue in cheek humour throughout. If you love their music then get this film.