Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 May 2014
If her debut, "Youth novels" (2008), was the part of flirtation, and its follow-up, "Wounded rhymes" (2011), was the part of obsession, then "I never learn", final part to Lykke Li's album trilogy, is the part of mourning. Following a painful break-up, Lykke Li spent 2 and a half years writing these 9 heart-wrenching ballads, filled with heartache, loss and desolation. Being the astounding musician that she is, she has injected these songs with a different arrangement to make each one stand out: acousting guitars, gorgeous strings, towering drums, gospel choirs. It is a relatively short set by modern standards, just 33 minutes long, but that brevity works in its favour, as easily the failures of love and self pity could be tiresome across a whole album. With this set Lykke Li shows that she is positively maturing as an artist, despite her young age. She was firm recently in asserting her desire to be viewed as a singer-songwriter as opposed to a pop artist, a genuine concern really. As an album "about me and the guilt and the shame and the hurt and the pride and the confusion of being a woman", as she describes it, "I never learn" is full of truth and beauty. Seeing her on the cover artwork, I could not but notice her uncanny resemblance to Lady GaGa - they could be lost sisters, it is shocking! As a fan of both, I find that they share so much in common. At the same time, they both convey their experiences through their art in such a contrasting, yet, equally dramatic and engaging manner. "Love me like I'm not made of stone", Lykke sings on the album's first promo video. She will break your heart by showing you hers which seems broken almost beyond repair. Bless.
review image review image review image
on 20 September 2015
Like all intense and personal music albums, they may take a little more time to understand and like. The first and second time I listened to " I Never Learn" I was taken in but not hooked but on the third and fourth listen I really grasped the beauty and intensity of the album. Obviously this is a very personal album for Lykke, she really pours her heart into it. Her band are excellent too, this is really great music, she is definitely very unique in a good way. I discovered her on Jools Holland's music show and ended up buying three of her albums because of how impressed I am of her talent. I was just starting to get bored again looking for something that is new and refreshing musically and then along comes Lykke into my world. Thank you for such a beautiful album Lykke.
on 14 May 2014
I can't stop listening to this. Lykke Li has that unique sound with a soulful/gospel inflection. It's less poppy than her previous stuff and it makes for an absorbing listen. The best songstress out there right now.
on 3 March 2015
To call Lykke Li's third LP bleak would be putting it mildly. Penned following a particularly brutal break-up, this collection of 10 tracks is awash with sadness, despair and regret. The highlight is 'Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone', a beautiful ballad backed only by a scratchy acoustic guitar, with Li's vulnerable vocal cracking under the pressure towards the end. It's genuinely upsetting. The only misstep is 'Heart of Steel', with a choir-backed crescendo that veers a little too close to 'X-Factor winners single' territory. Otherwise, 'I Never Learn' is a beautifully affecting ode to the perils of love and loss.
on 11 August 2014
Heard the track Gunshot as the soundtrack to the Peugeot 108 advert. Really liked it so tracked down the singer. Decided to buy the CD rather than just download the one track. Needs listening to more than once, as some of the racks grow on you. Only one track that I'm not keen on.
on 31 May 2014
Another wonderful album from Lykke Li. Possibly the best of her three studio albums to date, it is tuneful and lyrically thoughtful. She seems to be pouring out her heart on this one. Basically Lykke has the natural ability to write a good melody line and every track on I Never Learn is excellent.

Whether you are a Lykke Li fan or not I would suggest this is an album worth having in your collection. So can I find any fault in it? Only that it is a bit short at 33 minutes and nine tracks. I would have liked more!
on 14 September 2014
I bought this album primarily on the TV advert, Shotgun, but then discovered that the rest of the tracks are just as good. I would never have guessed that I would have listen so much to a modern music set. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.
on 10 October 2014
Bought this because I wanted to expand the range that I was now continually listening too!
The sound is unique!
The singing is unique!
The album is unique!
Overall, the production just needed some variation on some of the songs because on first hearing I felt I was listening to one song with little change!
Then on the second listen I began to appreciate what was going on!
Now, I want to listen to the whole album. Some tracks are now being used on certain tv adverts so that so highlights how good this is!
My other criticism was the album could have needed a few more tracks!
on 20 May 2014
I've been a fan of Lykke Li's since hearing Youth Novels upon it's release, and I still listen to her debut album today. In my opinion it hasn't aged at all. It still sounds as good today as it did when it was first released.
Wounded Rhymes went straight over my head. I thought it was good but not a patch on Youth Novels, so I was a little hesitant when buying this record (although that didn't stop me buying this before listening to any of the tracks on it. I guess I have faith in this ladies' music...)
I bought the vinyl copy of this album and so got my free mp3 download from Amazon and I have to say I CANNOT stop listening to this album. It is pure genius in my honest opinion. I listened to this three times in a row on sunday and still cannot get enough.
The songs on I Never Learn are much darker than her previous albums but it works incredibly well.
Lykke's lyrics... the melodies... and production all gel so well on this record.
If you're a fan of this girls music I highly recommend this album. Although it's different to her other two albums that doesn't make it bad. Quite the opposite infact. Get it. Today.
on 7 May 2014
Lykke Li has become the desperate yet hopeful female singer-songwriter over the years. Taking the crown from her masters such as Kate Bush and Tori Amos, she released her most stripped back and mournful record yet. I've been an admirer of her cold but loud musical atmosphere for quiet some time which is partly provided by her mentor Björn Yttling since her 2008 debut. But unlike those albums this album lacks the young hearted pop songs like Little Bit or Get Some and we're left with a 28 year old women who's mourning after "her worst break up". But luckily Li is such an artist she doesn't bore as with tearjerker ballads instead they're so powerful that you wanna sing them out loud along with her. Most of the record misses her signature drums and the album contains her simplist lyrics yet mainly because of its depressed atmosphere. Once again wrapped in darkness galore (this time more) Lykke Li achieves to make the final part of her trilogy a very enjoyable, beautiful and at times saddening listening. My favorites from the album are: I Never Learn (phenomenal, epic album opener), No Rest for the Wicked, Gunshot (amazing!). My point is 8.7/10.