Augustus (‘Gus’) Berry is scavenging whatever provisions he can find after the zombie apocalypse.
He is armed, heavily padded against bites, and being very careful.

But he doesn’t bank on what he finds inside the hospital on the edge of town, and had no idea that the crazy old woman on the roof had seen him arrive.
on 13 July 2014
Gory tale, with no apparent reason for it, other than the author likes it. No story. Not particularly well-written or interesting. But, if you like explicit violence, it may be your thing. It wasn't mine.
on 11 March 2017
Your average version of a horror story. Too much bad language for me. It wasn't necessary, or appropriate. Lots of emphasis on gory deaths, but no redeeming features such as well-drawn characters, or well-observed descriptive passages.
on 2 March 2017
A free book that leads into a great zombie series. Even if you don't like this book I'd recommend giving The Mountain Man a read.
on 31 March 2017
Really enjoyed listening to this on Audible and will look to hear more of the story in the future.
on 18 June 2016
As a brief into to the Mountain Man series this isn't bad at all, I've read the first of the Mountain Man books and it's a series I intend to complete in time. The narration is of course top notch from R.C. Bray on what I see as his home turf.

Compared to that first book what I would say this is this is actually the most horrific part I have read so far! It does cross a line most other zombie stories have not. It's partly set in the maternity ward to give you a clue.

I think it steers well though and for a free hour's worth of audio I would struggle to think of anything much better if you like the genre. Gus is a character I am happy to invest time in.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 December 2016
3.5 stars

I liked this, but it's not as good as the novels, which are excellent. I did enjoy it, it's a good, gory and scary half hour read, worth reading it if you like the series, but I'd advise you to read it as an addition to them, rather than before. The writing seems a bit rushed; it could do with a couple more redrafts, I think.
on 25 July 2014
We thought it would be good to listen to a scary tale while sitting out the back and drinking wine. As it turns out, it was SO badly written that we thoroughly enjoyed it and howled with laughter throughout! 😂 it's like a lesson in how not to use similes! Hysterical!
on 1 June 2014
Wow!

A fantastic, chilling short story that will scare the living daylights out of you.

Loved it and will now buy the Mountain Man books....
on 22 June 2014
Brilliant story and writing style. I read it in one go because I couldn't put it down. Will defiantly be reading more from this author!