Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 14 February 2005
'All the Sweet Promises' had me gripped from the start. A beautifully written book with such believable characters that I did not want to put it down! The three main characters lost, loved and lived such adventures that could only be experienced in a time when people lived for the day.
The historical content also informed you of exactly how it was in those dark days of World War II.
This book reduced me to tears of joy and sadness and I feel very privileged to have be given the chance to read something so heartfelt.
on 21 July 2001
I thoroughly enjoyed this well written book. I am intersted in this period of history anyway & it immediately takes you back in time - bringing the whole era alive. It is thought provoking, sad, funny, warm & heartrending. I would recommend this book to anyone. I am extremely impressed & have just ordered 3 more of Ms Elgins books - can't wait to get started!! Excellent.
on 14 July 2001
I loved this book. It focuses on three young women - Vi, Jane and Lucinda - serving in the Wrens during the Second World War, and their lives and loves. I think Elizabeth Elgin is one of the best writers there is when it comes to writing about ordinary women caught up in WW2, and would highly recommend all her novels. A real page-turner, and I want to marry Mike Farrow after reading this!
on 19 September 2004
I have now read this book three times with each time getting even better than the last. This is a fantastic book and you really feel as though you are with the characters throughout, seeing the scenes that are set through their eyes and the emotions their emotions too. This was the first Eliabeth Elgin book I have read and since them I have sought out others to read, I highly recommend buying this book to anyone its one in a million.
on 10 May 1999
The story focuses around three girls lives in the Royal Navy during the second world war. They are all from different backgrounds but share the hopes and fears of that era. It would be unfair to give much of the content away, except to say that there is an unexpected twist at the end which will bring tears to the eyes of all but the most hardened reader. Do not start reading if you have many other things to do, save it for a long plane or train trip!
on 20 August 2013
Having served in the Wrens in the 90s I wrote to Elizabeth Elgin saying how much I enjoyed this book and how even now, it captures the true experience of serving in the Wrens. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it felt as though my life was relived by these girls back in WWII. Elizabeth kindly sent me a signed copy of the book which I will always treasure. Very sad to hear of her death - RIP.
on 21 October 2001
I bought "All the Sweet Promises" based on the reviews that I read at Amazon.co.uk and I can say that I was not dissapointted. Ms.Elgin did a great job in making the reader care for her characters. She also gave the reader a feel for what it must been like to be the Werns during World War 2. I truly loved this book and hope to read more from her in the future.
Elizabeth Elgin writes with such sensitivity that once you start to read her story you won't be able to put it down.
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2010
I've read most of this writers book having read this one first and as good as they are this one is by far the best. I've read it three or four times now and still it sits on my shelf till the next time I pick it up. It's beautifully written and the characters are all very credible and given the setting for the book the whole thing just makes for a perfect read. I never want to put it down once I've started it and despite knowing how it all goes it still leaves a lump in my throat come the end!
on 26 June 2014
After quite a few dissapointing. Books,and never having read any by Elizabeth Elgin, I wrongful started " all the sweet Promises, " thinking it was going to be,just another. ww2 light read,about three girls and their war exploits ,with a little romance thrown in, how I miss judged. It,
Straight away each character,was interesting and of. real stuff,both warm and humorous, I enjoyed how it explained the work and life of this. Little band of. wrens, a "call the midwife,"but with different uniforms,
I liked how locations were ,almost pictorial. As were the changing seasons,brought to life,
I very much enjoyed reading this Kindel book,and was very sorry to finish it