VINE VOICEon 17 July 2014
I read and enjoyed The Cuckoo’s Calling and so was looking forward to this follow-up. As with the first book I was much more taken by the characters than the plot. Strike is extremely likable and very well-rounded and the relationships between the main characters are really believable. Location too is great; I know that corner of London very well and it was lovely to read it brought to life so evocatively.

Sadly, it’s the plot that lets the whole book down; it reads like a crime novel written by someone who hasn’t read much crime. It lacks the pace of a Val McDermid or a PD James novel and so my main reason for finishing the book was because I was enjoying the character development.

I’d read another one, but hopefully it will be about a hundred pages shorter and have a bit more pace behind it.
1010 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Eight months after the Landry case and Strike is back. Inundated with rich clients wanting their adulterous spouses tailed, the private detective is relieved to receive a likeable visitor with a quandary actually worth investigating. The wife of not-quite-famous author, Owen Quine, Leonora Quine wants her missing husband found. Cormoran takes on the case and quickly finds himself in and amongst London's squabbling literary circle, caught up in the mess created by Quine upon circulation of his latest manuscript; a libellous book in which he viciously attacks almost everyone he's ever worked with.

`Write what you know' is the age old adage and, where Rowling dipped into her experience of fame for The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm deals with a publishing world going through an identity crisis. Traditional publishing, self-publishing and the internet's influence are all fleetingly examined, and you can't help but wonder how many of Cormoran's suspects include portions of the real-life people Rowling encountered during her remarkable rise to superstardom. But then, given the repercussions of Quine's own manuscript, Bombyx Mori (Latin for silkworm), borrowed traits might well have been too ironic an inclusion for even the most cavalier of writers - an enjoyable conundrum to deliberate whilst reading.

A literary yet accessible crime thriller, The Silkworm is, like its predecessor, an excellent read. The mystery is moreish, the characters well-crafted, and the side plots - particularly the continuing animosity between Strike and his assistant's fiancé - are genuinely enjoyable. One of the few complaints is that Strike unravels the mystery with a bit of a clunk, and that the quotes at the beginning of every chapter are somewhat pretentious for a trashy (in the very best of ways) crime thriller. Yes, even one with such a literary heart.

Jack Croxall, author of Tethers (The Tethers Trilogy Book 1)
33 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2014
This, Robert Galbraith's second excursion into the dark, seedy world of the down at heel P.I. on one leg, is outstanding. Even better than his(!) first sojourn into this territory.

I don't profess to have the literary knowledge to understand the relevance or meanings behind the quotes at the beginning of each chapter but they had no bearing on my enjoyment of the book. I dare say they held important clues. But I was clueless.

The principal characters have developed since the first book. Understandably. They are more rounded; human even. Robin is the perfect foil for the limped gait crusader. She has become as important as the main protagonist. Hard to imagine one without the other now.

The plot here isn't complex but the main event - the murder - is certainly not run of the mill. The author uses all her experience of literary circles - agents, writers, publishers - to weave her tale and few come up smelling of roses. I dare say some may recognise themselves in the book. The irony in that is crystal clear and you can see that parallel as the story develops.

Fast paced and full of oddball characters, all of whom are suspects till the finale, this is a glorious trip round a strangely wintry London as Strike attempts to track down a murderer whose motive in the end is not as it appears throughout.

A first class detective story once again reminiscent of Chandler and Hammett at their best. Wit and grime come thick and fast in equal measure. Roll on the third Vet-man and Robin adventure. By far and away my favourite writer at the moment. Just terrific.
on 26 August 2014
Having enjoyed "The Cuckoo's Calling" (not to mention all the other books of J K Rowlings) I was keen to see how the second book would fair. Although I found it darker, it was more enjoyable, possibly because I was familiar with the main characters. Once again the setting is atmospheric and beautifully observed while the characters, even the minor players, are carefully moulded to show depth and personality with all their idiosyncrasies, hang ups flaws and redeeming features.
The central plot twists and drags the reader through the streets of snowbound London, but I will not give away the main tenet as I feel spoilers are a curse. Suffice to say I hope Ms Rowlings (aka Robert Galbraith) in her literary circle does not come into contact with the seamier side of the publishing world.
A word of warning to those of a sensitive disposition; the language is often ripe, as befits the characters, and description of the body, luridly graphic.
on 15 April 2015
Disappointing follow up for lovers of Strike Cormoran first novel, The Cuckoos Calling. The characters of Strike and his capable assistant, Robyn continue to be well developed and this aspect of the plot was what kept me going to the end. The plot however was in my opinion overly convoluted and quite tedious at times, the Latin introductions to each chapter added nothing, just irritated me. I cared nothing about any of the other characters and by the end I frankly just wanted the book to end so didn't give a hoot who the murderer was. Sorry, so wanted to enjoy this as my holiday read but will not be recommending.
on 24 June 2015
I really wanted to like this novel and did persevere with it to the end, but I found that the interludes between reading it were getting longer and longer as I struggled to care about any of the characters and got more and more irritated by the ridiculous plot and cliched characters. Everything about 'The Silkworm' seemed laboured.
And this is coming from someone who thought the early Harry Potter books were great.

As Rowling got more famous it seems that there was less and less professional editing of her work (notice how the Harry Potter books got longer and longer) and I think that is what has happened here. It feels like the Emperor's New Clothes - no-one can be seen to criticise her work because she is J K Rowling.

This crime thriller is truly awful.

Briefly, Cormoron Strike - a private detective and Afghanistan war veteran (with a prosthetic leg)- is the protaganist and he is tasked with unravelling what has happened to a notorious novelist called Owen Quine, who has disappeared.

There is a cast of characters who are almost invariably stereotypes - the alcoholic editor, the ball-busting female literary agent, the seedy tabloid report who is surprised that Strike doesn't get information by phone hacking. Please! - and too many terrible metaphors and descriptions.

It doesn't really matter what J K Rowling writes; her legions of fans will just lap it up and think it's great.
on 1 August 2014
The Silkworm is a really good read and I would really recommend it. JK Rowling’s strength is her character development and this shines through again with the hero Cormoran Strike and his assistant Robin, and you are left wanting to know more about them. The characters are extremely well thought out and there are lots of details to feast on. I particularly like all the pieces about Strike’s past at Oxford, him being rock star Jonny Rokeby’s son and his doomed love affair with Charlotte. Rowling has also clearly done her research with Strike’s disability and the problems it could cause.

Although I enjoyed this one, and its predecessor A Cuckoo Calling, I did find the plot a little clunky and, perhaps I missed them, there were no real clues throughout the novel as to who the villain was. It felt a bit like ‘pulling the curtain back.’ Plot is certainly not JK Rowling’s strength and if you like plot driven novels, you’re probably better off looking at some of the more established crime authors.

In summary, I think Rowling has hit on an excellent few characters and I expect there to be many more adventures of Cormoran Strike!
on 8 July 2014
Very good, but not as well plotted as first novel. Plot bit convoluted and less than believable. Developing relationship between Cormorant and his assistant held my interest and I look forward seeing how things move on in the next book in the series. Would prefer less gratuitous violence.
on 9 July 2014
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the first in this series, I was very excited to see this was coming out. There's a strong chance that I have a big Cormoran Strike crush - I think he's a really well-written hero - but I enjoy Robin's character just as much.

Didn't see the ending of this whodunit coming - another pleasure of this book. Some gory details that slowed my progress at times, but I am very pleased that persevering led to such a satisfying conclusion.
on 29 June 2014
As a readers of crime thrillers the book at the centre of the plot was miles away from what appeals to me, and the author was portrayed as some sort of weirdo so I found it hard to relate to him. The other characters are equally as awful with the exception of Robin and Strike, so it was not a good start. The story is complex and the method of death seemed gratuitous. I will continue with the series but hope the next one is better.

I found the literary quotes at the start of each chapter pretentious and annoying and I gave up bothering to read them. It felt a bit like the author was showing off by including them as they didn't add anything for me.
I got bored by the constant references to Strike`s false leg and sore stump, point made so stop going on about it.