2,867

on 28 June 2014
The second book in the Cormoran Strike series follows the private detective as he investigates a case that bears more than a passing resemblance to that covered in the previous novel. He’s hired to find a woman’s missing husband, and author who’s just delivered a surprisingly inflammatory novel.

It’s always interesting when authors write about the book world, as they can give an insight into their industry, but also tend to exaggerate and use the opportunity to make fun of themselves - to an extent, that is the case here, as the characters are larger than life and each have some extreme quirks, though those all play important parts in the plot too.

Like the first novel, Strike’s assistant Robin feel like she’s sidelined and I would have much preferred for her to serve as the main character - although clearly a strong character when she is in the action spotlight, there’s more a focus here on her personal life rather than work, and I felt she could have been utilised better to advance the central plot line.

There’s a quantity of gore and explicitness that matches the author’s previous adults works - it feels less now that it’s done just because it’s now permitted after years of writing for children, and more that it really is the author’s preferred style. There are reminders of the children’s novels though - the relationships between the characters feel familiar and are presented in a similar way to those in the Harry Potter series.

Overall though I found it an enjoyable read, despite the occasional graphic scenes, lighter than a lot of crime series while remaining serious, and I see no reason to think I won’t continue reading about these characters for a lot more books.
on 5 April 2017
This book was recommended to me and I absolutely loved it. I was captivated by the Imperfect character of cormoran strike and the plot was well crafted with lots of twists and turns. It also has a human element by giving an insight into the main characters lives.
This is one of three books and I devoured the lot in a few weeks, highly recommended if you like a good detective story with a personal touch.
on 23 March 2017
A slow start which speeds up about a third of a way in. Hadn't read first but don't think it matters. A lot of characters which took a bit is remembering and very complicated story line. Glad I read it and may go on to read others but not yet!
on 29 December 2014
I'm not a fan of crime, murder & mystery and this book would never persuade me to change my mind. I enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling and supposed this might be good follow up story. I like the two main characters, Strike and Robin and find them convincing but that said, there is little else to commend this dreary tale. It is overly long and as a 'whodunit' I found I couldn't care less towards the end, just wanted to get it finished, I disliked the writers approach of "have you guessed who it is yet?" during the final interminable third of the book.Very disappointing.
on 21 May 2017
Having read the original Comoran Strike novel, The Cuckoos Calling, in 2 days, I immediately ordered this for more. This book definately did not disappoint! Subtle clues throughout the whole book alluding to the criminal kept you guessing, and noone I knew guessed the identity of the murderer before it was revealed! Thoroughly enjoyable, and recommended to anyone who enjoys criminal thrillers.
on 22 April 2017
Loved this excellent detective mystery with such a different approach to the subject with so many characters and scenarios helping to mask the final concluding result. All beautifully written and pleasing to the reader. As usual a triumph of the author's art.
on 15 August 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed The Casual Vacancy and Cuckoo's Calling. The Silkworm started with great promise. Some, but not all for me, of the characterisation is brilliant and when my favourites appeared I was drawn right back in, but the rest were lost in a confusing, unbelievable and rather dull muddle. I kept forcing myself back to give it a fair chance but sadly the lack of any pace killed it stone dead for me.
on 30 November 2016
Purchased for a present so no real opinion
on 19 August 2014
I do like Strike and his sidekick Robin, and I loved the first book. But this one dragged a bit. It just didn't grip and the literary figures who were at the centre of the story were almost without exception unpleasant - even grotesque. I just couldn't really care whodunnit or why.
on 2 March 2017
I found the plot a little hard to follow - theatrical types not my bag
But it was a good read