on 19 November 2015
Nicely weighted, the low sensitivity button on the thumb side is pressed accidentally quite frequently while moving the mouse side to side but it's very accessible.

The shape of the mouse in real life is much more economic than the pictures suggest. The mouse is slanted to the right raising your index finger and putting your hand in a more neutral position which is comfortable for your wrist and hand.

The scroll wheel works well but it's very notchy and "loose" feeling - I'm sure you can get used to this and as the mouse gets used the parts will all settle in.

The sensor is simply awesome, nothing more to say.

The weights make a difference but ultimately you'll get used to whatever configuration you choose. Personally I added 3 weights around the sensor which gives a little more resistance but adding more weight to the back would allow the mouse to fall out of my palm at the back as I hold the mouse more towards the front so I removed the 2 rear weights, in an ideal world I'd like more weight at the front but even having the option to change the balance is a luxury!
review image
on 5 January 2015
I'm a massive fan of the Logitech M500 mouse for it nice shape and unlockable scroll wheel so when I was looking to upgrade my mouse to something a little more fancy this was an obvious choice.

After using it for a month or so now I absolutely love it. The back and forward buttons are well placed and I can hit them easily getting a tactile and auditory click to let me know they've been activated. The left and right clicks are sensitive enough for rapid pressing but not so sensitive that you're constantly accidentally triggering them. The scroll wheel for which I purchased this item works just like my old M500 and I love it. DPI changing is smooth and responsive and well indicated by lights on the mouse. The software for calibration and/or macro setup works great too and doesn't need to constantly sit in the background due to onboard memory on the mouse: perfect!

Only two downside and not significant enough to damper my enjoyment:

1. When you've got you hand positioned in order to use all the standard buttons you would have to have mutant length thumbs to reach the "sniper" button but given I play with a low DPI and don't like to shift it in-game that's not a big deal. If I place my thumb far forwards enough to press the sniper button comfortably I can't hit the "back" button because my hand is over it.

2. The mouse scroll wheel, like the M500, also has the functionality to be clicked left and right. This is great. However, in order for this to work involves introducing a tiny bit of give into the left and right motions of the scroll wheel. It is completely unnoticed during ordinary use except for when making a large sweeping movement from side to side (turning in an FPS with low DPI) giving the tiny auditory "ting" noise.

It's the most minor thing in the world but I figured I'd list it because I'm literally clutching at straws to find faults with this mouse. It really is nice.
on 6 May 2014
18/08/15 UPDATE: So my original review is below, but having used this for over a year now I thought it would be worth sharing some things.

I still agree with everything I said a year ago for starters, it's a great mouse. The software has been updated so that you can now customize things a bit more such as the G logo light (I now have it on a dim pulse which is much more appealing and has let me keep it switched on rather than just blinding bright/off).

I use this mouse daily, on lots of different sensitivity settings and on both hard and soft mouse mats. I can say confidently that I have had no issues with the feet of this mouse, when given a quick dusting they are as good as new (super smooth). Otherwise everything else is stated below, just wanted to inform new purchasers that this mouse will last.

Old Review :

Okay, So I spilt pepsi on my G9x and needed a replacement, considering logitech was bringing out a new mouse I thought why not?

I've been using the G502 for just under a week now and it is one of the best mice I have ever used. The sensor is pinpoint, no hardware acceleration at all and it feels this amazing on all DPI settings. It is true that you probably won't need to go anywhere near as high as 12,000 but the fact that logitech have enabled this does not take away from the tracking of the lower DPI's at all.

I use a loose palm grip for this mouse, it could be clawed however given the weight and position of the sniper button this could be uncomfortable for some. The sniper button itself doesn't impede my grip but you may need to adjust to keep from accidentally pressing it.

It has a braided cable which is slightly thicker than the one used on the G9x, however it feels lighter, smoother and more flexible (seems to move with much less resistance). I personally like these as it prevents a lot of long term cable wear problems.

The scroll wheel is quite impressive compared to their previous mice. Still with the dual mode, the middle click is is much more defined as are each of the side scroll buttons. All the other buttons give great tactile feedback and seem to require the perfect amount of pressure to operate.

On the software side it is very simple to use 'Logitech Gaming Software' to configure most aspects of the mouse. All of the buttons are configurable and the horrific G logo light can be switched off (in the main settings under G502 tab). Unlike the G9x, G-shift can be assigned to a button which extends the amount of operations you can assign. You can also tune the mouse sensor to any surface (which I did do, Razer Goliathus mouse mat) and I must say I did notice a difference from the default settings. It is not a huge change, but tracking felt that bit smoother and I think maybe a tiny change to reduce the lift off distance but that was hard to tell.

A nice feature I noticed is that the DPI/Profile lights automatically turn off unless you are adjusting the settings, especially as you cannot adjust the colour to match your rig as you could with the G9x.

Adjustable weights are now in a much better place, I really disliked the draw system so I am in favour of this new magnetic door. Although I don't feel it, the mouse is reasonably heavy without any weights in and is already pretty balanced, then again the weights are there if you do want to adjust the balance to suit your play style more (or just add more weight).

Overall this mouse is very impressive, excellent tracking, great shape, very comfortable and not too feature heavy. There will be people who want a simpler mouse but for me as I crossover from FPS to RPG and even for non-gaming it is a great all round mouse.

EDIT:
Just realized it does not show this in the pictures, but the sensor is in the center of the mouse (rather than being offset in the G9x), it definitely helps.
Pros
- Excellent sensor
- Braided Cable
- Much better dual mode scroll wheel
- Weight Management
- Configurable buttons
- Comfortable

Cons
- At the heavier end of mice
- For some grips the sniper button
66 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2015
Having used the RAT 9 wireless mouse for 3 years I was a bit sceptical going to a wired mouse. Everyone said this mouse is heavy before adding the weights but the RAT weighs nearly twice this.

Onto the mouse, has programmable profiles for ALL 11 buttons, it learns the surface really well and glides across with ease (Razer Goliath Mat) so you don't actually need one of Logitechs mats. The wire is braided which is great, even though its customizable like the RAT it feels great in the hand and is perfect for palm, finger and claw grip as the right and left mouse buttons are about the length of my middle finger so you never miss a click.

The infinite scroll is actually ontop of the mouse not like the G9x (a previous mouse I owned) this makes switching easy, and the software is great and really simple to use. Now to summarise

Pros
- Has 11 fully customisable buttons
- Has a thumb rest
- Has long click buttons
- Is really light (To me anyway)
- Self learns surfaces
- On-board memory so take your profiles with you
- Has a 12000 DPI sensor
- Is really well priced
- Has a braided Cable

Cons
- Only has blue lighting
- Not customisable
- Can only be used by right hand gamers
on 13 October 2014
I will make this review straight. Having used many gaming mice myself, there are few let downs that interferes the pros of this mouse.

Pros:

Frankly speaking, the optical sensor of this mouse is quite good. Good in terms of accuracy in the shooting game. It's quite effective when you use rifles which has recoils such as AK47. This mouse is a palm grip type and so, it is quite easy to rapid click/fire during the game which is also critical in FPS game. The sensor is so good that I felt that the price of the mouse mostly goes to the sensor itself.

The size of the mouse is about 13cm in length and 6cm in width which is quite similar to that of Roccat Kone XTD but 1 cm shorter in width resulting an oval sort of shape just like a reptile egg in the dinosaur museum. Due to the high precision lead by the sensor, this shape does help. If there are too much width, it can be quite hard to control such sensor I'd say.

The weight adjustment is a great addition too. The sensor of this mouse is quite sensitive and so, the additional weight can give more control to the user in a way. Many people yell that this mouse is heavy. If you have used Razer and Cyborg mice such as Rat 5 - 9 (without the weight), and Kone Pure from Roccat, you may feel this mouse quite heavy to handle. But if you have used Roccat Kone XTD, then there is no problem as it weighs about the same i felt (with and without weight adjustment on both).

Lastly, the usb cable of this mouse is quite soft. The cable itself will adapt quickly and so, you wouldn't need to make it straight/stretch the cable after unboxing.

Cons:

There are few down side of this mouse that may interfere with the good side listed above. Firstly, if you flip the mouse, you will quickly notice that there are four plastic black tape like seal for a grind protection. Normally, other brand namely Roccat and Razer won't do this. Instead, they completely seal them so that it won't peel off overtime. Here, I wouldn't worry about them peeling off but as a result of the wrong placement of the seal, this mouse chooses the surface. If you use Roccat Hiro 3D mouse surface for example, and move around the mouse, you will quickly notice the grind noise. A little delay caused by the resistance can be quite annoying when you want to aim the pointer properly during the game. Logitech gaming/non-gaming mice always gives this impression that they don't pursue for perfection, and that they are not made solely for the enthusiasts but also designed for ordinary consumers. This concept is still there with this mouse as well as the ones I used before from Logitech. This is my subjective opinion about logitech mouse products though.

The second cons goes to the combination of the wheel and the left/right click. It is certainly a nice addition that the wheel can be configured by a single click of button placed below the wheel. One click of the button gives a rigid feel of the wheel and another press gives a loose and smooth feel of the wheel. However, this rigid mode of the wheel can be an annoyance when combined with the mouse left/right clicks during the game or the normal daily operations on your PC. First of all, it feels very cheap. Secondly, the rigid feel of the wheel doesn't feel right, say while switching the weapons after few clicks of fire, the wheel accidentally moves due to the momentum of switching (scrolling) quickly. Thirdly, the clicks are loud. Louder than that of palm grip type mouse such as Kone XTD and in fact, louder than R.A.T 9 too.

The force you may put to click left/right buttons are just about right. At least, I feel this is quite comfortable. But if you switch from the soft clicks say from Razor, such as Black Mumba 2012 and DeathAdder, then you may feel these buttons need a little force to click.

There are people who complains about right clicks where they accidentaly press during the game but it never happened to me yet. This is probably due to the size of user's hand (mine is square palm with short fingers. About 17cm in length from the wrist to the tip of third finger) and the way you may place your hand on the mouse. Generally, if you place your hand as if you use the finger grip type of mouse, you may not have that accidental clicks.

Software and the drivers of this mouse works well and sensibly designed. I have never had any problems with updating firmwares when the software asked me unlike other unfortunate people who had to update the firmware manually through the installation directory. When you open the software, you will see this slide switch where you can choose where to save your profile. It is either the on-board memory chip built-in or to the PC. When you want to assign a windows function (assuming you are using Windows PC), you'd need to switch the profile save location to the PC by the way.

So there it is. Currently, I am using together with my Roccat Kone XTD and I can tell clearly, that this mouse wins when it comes to FPS games. I find it quite interesting that I use G502 for rifles that has recoils and for shotguns and heavy ones, I use the Roccat. The design of the mouse will remind you of the chinch bug or the beetles and like I said above, and you may need to consider buying one of the logitech gaming surfaces, but overall, I think this mouse is balanced and acceptable.

I bought this mouse as a replacement of my Roccat Tyon which I bought recently. Unlike the G502, the Tyon was a complete joke to me (I wrote the review of it too).

I am not entirely happy due to some of the half-hearted manufacturing especially the grind seal and the wheel which can be quite common in Logitech mice but the sensor itself is quite powerful.

When you pay for this price, again, I'd say you are paying for the sensor I thought.

I'd recommend this mouse to anyone who fed up with the laser sensor.

Warmest Regards

Tomo
on 13 February 2016
It took too long for my mouse to arrive from america so I got this refunded and bought it from a local computer store.

I can tell you this mouse is amazing. The customization and the accuracy is unreal. Yes you can go upto 12000 DPI but why would you? I currently use it at 2700 DPI for the game I play but it has a button perfectly placed near your thumb so you don't accidentally press it but can easily reach it when you need to. This button allows you to switch between 2 DPI settings on the fly so great for FPS games if you're trying to snipe someone and need to lower DPI quickly for better accuracy.

The mouse also has a really solid feel and fits perfectly in my hand. The added optional weights is a great at helping getting the mouse suited to your needs. And the optical sensor on it is amazing.

The blue LEDs are a bonus for me as everything in my setup has blue LEDs so goes really well. For those who don't want blue LEDs logitech has released a "spectrum" version which is exactly the same as this but with RGB lighting. It even has an option to Tune itself depending on the surface / type of mouse pad you're using! Quality from Logitech - you'll never need another mouse again.
on 3 January 2015
The mouse has a good sensor and doesn't seem to skip pixels or jitter if used at a reasonable DPI level. The mouse has a nice texture and shape/size and buttons are easily accessible. There is however 2 issues with this mouse that ruin it for me, and those are the scroll wheel and the mouse feet.

The scroll wheel: It is metal and extremely heavy in comparison to other mouse wheels. The weight of the wheel and the lack of any rubberized grip make it somewhat hard to control precisely and, at least for me, very easy to scroll one click to far. It is also very easy for your finger to slip because it has no real grip aside from the indentations on it.

The feet: They feel fairly smooth to the touch and slide reasonably well but they do not last long and two of the feet on my mouse came loose after just a week, and another one started peeling at the corner.

If not for the two problems mentioned this mouse would be great, but as it currently stands, there is much better alternatives.
on 27 October 2014
I bought this as an upgrade to my G5.
I love the mousewheel, great idea and works well.
I still sometimes fumble over the buttons to the left of the left click (Usually in-game panic clicking) but I'm getting used to them.

The new thumb button that is meant for sniping, I have configured it to CTRL so I can resize webpages with the mouswheel when the text is too small (I am a bit old)

The only negative is the bottom side of the mouse.
For a start, the flap sometimes drops off on its own :-(
And when it's on it scrapes across the mousemat like a grubby old house brick.
The mouse feet are absolute crap. Flimsy low quality stickers that just peel off.
Today I have resolved this by putting on some Mouseskates from 'Hotline Games' (Found on Ebay)
The mouse now glides like my old G5 used to.
on 10 October 2014
Tricky to know what rating to give this, on the one hand as a mouse it is superb - and if like other Logitech Mice I would hope the electronics and switches are bullet-proof. I have just come from three Mad-Catz products all of which suffered the same micro-switch failure after 4-6 months.

I rate my mice on comfort and sensitivity - I need a smooth cursor operation, especially from standstill, and a decent feel/weight, this is the first mouse that I have used without resorting to tuning with additional weights, and the cursor tuning provides me with more than I need.

Now the downside, the mice skates/feet/glides whatever you want to call them are definitely not as resilient as previous Logitech products, I have resorted to after market after my second set of originals started to peel at the corners - Logitech were no help saying they didn't have any spares... Another downside (at least for me) is that there is no apparent way to store profiles on the mouse, or back them up as a separate file - that gets a black mark.

So - great mouse, mostly high build quality - poor feet and indifferent profile handling.
on 18 December 2015
I've had this mouse for about a month so far, I replaced a Deathadder which kept frequently double clicking when I was pressing the button down once. Enough was enough so I did my research and stumbled across this beast!

Installation was straightforward. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit. Install the drivers and plug the mouse in. Computer needed to restart, on next reboot it advised there was a software update available for the mouse. NOTE: According to my research it suggests that the G502 may become completely unusable if you try to update the mouse with it plugged in to a USB 3.0 port. Make sure it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port. If you are not sure which is which; the USB 3.0 ports are usually coloured blue. USB 2.0 is black. If you ONLY have USB 3.0 available, I'd recommend a USB 2.0 hub. NOTE 2: I also have a Logitech G510 Keyboard, for the software update to run I had to unplug and replug the USB's of BOTH the keyboard and mouse in to get it to start downloading the update. It's safe to say if you don't own a Logitech G series keyboard you will only need to replug the mouse in.

You can customize the mouse to your liking with the Logitech software and the weights provided so it feels "right" for you. I personally like a weighty mouse, I always found the Death adder too lightweight (it also had no weights system), especially compared to the Roccat Kone I had prior to that. In the box there are a 5 3.6g weights which are odd shaped. The base of the mouse is magnetic so you pull the blue part on the left towards you with the mouse lifted up and it comes away. Oddly, despite having 5 weights, I only found a way of installing 4 of them. You have to push the weights in with a fair bit of force for them to stay in place. I prefer the Roccat Kone's weight system, which you just fairly lightly push and turn into place to lock.

I have written all of this and have now got to the most critical point, how does the mouse perform? In short, absolutely excellent! It tracks superbly, probably the best tracking mouse I have EVER had, and I have had several mice over the years. I'm just using a fairly standard non-shiny cloth mouse pad which came with my old graphics card. the DPI controls which control the responsiveness/speed of the mouse are fairly easy to get to to adjust on-the-fly and the odd pattern grip on the mouse sides are surprisingly comfortable. I have found that if the mouse weights are not installed properly and when you are moving the mouse very quickly, the bottom of the mouse can fall off quite easily. Luckily this has only happened once so far so I'm happy to pass this as user error.

If there is one area that should be better, I feel it's the mousewheel. It's easily the worst part of the mouse and in my opinion it lets it down a bit. It sure looks nice and to touch it feels like its good quality and built to last. There are two aspects which I'm not so happy with. 1.) The actual surface is very slippery so your finger does rather unnaturally slip off, which is a bit annoying when you are on one of those games where the mouse wheel does something like changing weapons (Unreal Tournament) or browsing the web and like me, you use the mouse wheel A LOT! and, 2.) You have the option of whether you want the mousewheel to scroll like any other mouse, OR you can press the button nearest to the mousewheel and the wheel goes into a "freescroll" where it spins freely. I find the mousewheel on the standard mode too noisy, to my surprise someone else was using my computer and I heard the mouse scroll wheel from downstairs! You can solve it by switching to the "freescroll" mode, but then it just becomes annoying and feels too loose, like it's broken.

This is me nitpicking though. It's a great mouse. I just wish it had the scroll wheel and weights system of the Roccat Kone or the older Logitech Mice; and it would have been perfect. If any of the issues I have mentioned put you off, then I highly recommend looking at the Roccat Kone XTD Optical. The sensor on the laser version is appalling.

Any questions relating to the review or product and I'll TRY and answer them :)