Platform: PlayStation 4|Change

on 28 March 2014
It took me 119 minutes to complete the campaign first time round and I got a grade C. In a first for me in 2 decades of gaming, I immediately played the campaign again, this time it took me 90 minutes and I got a grade B. I'm going to keep doing it until I get that elusive S rank - this will probably take a good few hours. MGSV is an excellent game and people really shouldn't get hung up on the main story being potentially very short (you can do it in about 15 minutes if you really thrash about) because the replay value is immense and there are a further 5 missions to complete once you have completed the main story - these can take about an hour if you are being methodical.

The graphics are amazing on the PS4 and the gameplay is fluid and a lot less frustrating than other MGS games, for the price this is a fantastic buy - it also comes with some bonus stuff for next year's Phantom Pain which is nice. Ignore the haters, this is an excellent addition and a real show of next gen power. You've kept us waiting Snake but it was definitely worth while.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2014
Lets cut to the chase- you want to know if this is worth the money, right?
Are you a completionist who will play a game over and over in order to find all Easter eggs, unlockables, improve your play through, achieve high scores, set records, you like to master the hardest difficulty, you experiment to see what's possible in-game and leave no stone unturned? If so, you can't go wrong with this game, having played it for over 30 hours with plenty left to do, I can confidently say that there is plenty here for you.
Or are you the type of gamer who finishes a game and moves on to the next one, you don't care about unlockables, you don't care about mastering the game, or trying higher difficulties, or competing for high scores, finding Easter eggs etc and you are only here for the story? If so, I wouldn't recommend this game to you.
Whatever side your on, there is no denying the sublime design in this game, being a prologue to the next main entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, Phantom Pain, Ground Zeroes perfectly demonstrates how 'Pain has the potential to be one of the best games of all time when it releases. This game seriously puts other open-world titles to shame, the true openness of not only the environment, but the mechanics and gameplay, is what puts it ahead of everything else in my opinion and is a true step forward for open world games.
There are so many ways to accomplish your mission, infact, the game keeps stats witch tell you all sorts of information, how many head shots you have in total, how many complete stealth runs you've accomplished, how many no kill runs you've completed, your longest head shot range, and how many missions you've completed to name but a few, it reveals here that I have played the main mission through 67 times and as I've been experimenting with this game to see what's possible(or to see what's not possible?) I can tell you that no two play troughs have ever been the same in my 67 playthroughs and because of this the game just does not get boring.
Its this truly organic gameplay in a believable world with many paths, strategies, side objectives, some of the best AI in games ever, hilarious easter eggs, tight mechanics, spot on controls and amazing visuals that solidified this as a ''best of the best'' kind of production.
Ground Zeroes is but a single main mission with 6 extra missions thrown in for good measure, they're all fun, all insanely replayable and this just demonstrates that if I can play the main mission 67 times without getting bored, well, what if The Phantom Pain releases with 50 main missions? It'll never end for me, this single mission in Ground Zeroes has near-endless replayability, I'm yet to really dig deep into the side missions.
I've given this game 4 stars, and that's because in the end, it leaves you wanting more although satisfied, but this was exactly the studio's intention, too hook you in for The Phantom Pain and for me, they've overachieved in this regard... the wait for The Phantom Pain has become no less painful!
I can understand why a lot of people felt they had been mugged off, however I personally have had the complete opposite experience.

The graphics are stunning and the gameplay runs very smoothly, combined with the ease of use controls (which I feel has been done very well), makes the game incredibly enjoyable to play.

If you put the amazing graphics, gameplay and all the side missions aside and take a look at just the main story, then this is an EXTREMELY short game; I completed the main mission just under two hours (obviously my first play-through I had no idea where I was going).

You get quite a few minutes of cinematics before and after the main mission, which I thought was thoroughly enjoyable, but it does feel very short in all, so if you're specifically wanting this for the story and nothing else, there is a very big chance you'll be disappointed.

I honestly hope they include Ground Zeros with Phantom Pain, so for those who are only interested in the story don't miss out, though that would mean they would have to wait around a year from the release of this game.

If we look deeper into what this game actually offers as a whole package, then you may actually feel you've got your moneys worth:

You have 6 missions altogether, one which is the main story and the rest are all side missions, these vary from infiltrating and assassinating certain individuals, grabbing classified information or blowing up enemy defences. Some missions are easier than others and whilst it's all based in the same area that's featured in the main game, each mission does feel different:

- Ground Zeros (main story).
- Eliminate the Renegade Threat.
- Intel Operative Rescue.
- Classified Intel Acquisition.
- Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements.
- Déjà Vu (unlocked after getting all the Xof badges).

- Jamais Vu (EDIT: With the latest game update, you will now have this ready to play, now making it 7 missions!).

If you avoid looking at the walkthroughs which are circulating the internet and do it all by yourself, you should find that you'll get many hours of gameplay time; I certainly have and I've still got lots more to do! (Though I may not be as good as the average gamer).

Okay, so you've then finished all the levels? How about 'S' ranking them all on both difficulties? Or go even further by completing all 15 of the trophies (No platinum unfortunately, however there are 13 bronze, 1 silver & 1 gold to collect, the lack of platinum is apparently due to Sony not allowing platinum trophies on non-full priced games).

- Reunion: Reunite with Chico or Paz.
- Downfall: Clear the "Ground Zeroes" mission.
- Genesis: Clear a Side Op or Extra Op.
- Accomplished: Clear all missions (including Side Ops and Extra Ops).
- Skilled: Clear any mission (including Side Ops and Extra Ops) with a S-rank.
- Hero: Clear all missions (including Side Ops and Extra Ops) with a S-rank.
- Rescue: In the "Ground Zeroes" mission, rescue the prisoner to be executed and extract him via chopper.
- Depth: Clear the "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" Side Op by extracting both targets.
- Pacifist: Clear the "Intel Operative Rescue" Side Op without killing a single enemy.
- Infiltration: Clear the "Classified Intel Acquisition" Side Op while riding in the back of a truck
- Extraction: In the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" Side Op, rescue and extract all prisoners via chopper.
- Reminiscence: Recreate all scenes in the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op.
- Unlocked: Unlock all trials.
- Information: Obtain all cassette tapes.
- Insignia: Obtain all XOF unit patches.

So all in all, there are many things to do within this game, which will give you plenty amount of hours worth of gameplay, which is why I believe my £25 was money well spent.

If you want this purely for story, I'd say keep your money and try to borrow it off a friend as you'll probably just feel you've been mugged off; but for those who want to play the main story and have the challenge of completing everything, then this is definitely a game I'd recommend.
66 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2015
Snake/ Big Boss.. who? I'm terribly confused by the convoluted back story and names given to characters, but once I started playing it was pretty good fun. Many of my earlier attempts ended in terrible failure (but I found my character's deaths really funny!) since the approaches that work in other games I play just do not work well here. Eventually I learned how to play the game and turned the tables on the games non player characters. I even managed to set a POW up for a summary execution by leaving him where he could be discovered by an enemy soldier (well he was making too much noise and kept alerting the guards when Snake was rescuing someone else). This game does have only a few missions to complete, but you do have a lot of freedom to approach missions differently each time and see how sometimes even subtle changes play out differently. I bought this on a PSN promotion, so I don't feel bad about the amount of repetition when I only have a few missions to choose from. Now that the full length Phantom Pain is for sale, everyone should definitely just go for that title, unless they see Ground Zeroes on another price promotion. For android users, there is a free companion app to use which turns your phone/tablet into a functional iDroid so you don't have to interrupt your gameplay to look at a map, reread a log, call a helicopter etc..

For those who get bored with watching the "cut scenes" which get in the way of having "another go" because Snake just failed again... on the PS4 press and hold the left side of the touch sensitive area on the dual shock controller until you see the menu to skip on. Am I going to buy Phantom Pain? Probably.
on 8 March 2015
The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain definitely lived up to its hype. Think of MGSV: Ground Zeroes as the Tardis in Doctor Who, from the outside it can be beaten in a few hours and you can be done with it but on the inside it has a multitude of collectibles to be found, extra cassette tapes to be played to discover hidden dialogues and more to the story, awesome soundtrack (as all MGS titles tend to have), Sandbox fun that can be a good time kill for anyone who loves the freedom to approach missions in different ways such as stealth, all out guns blazing or even comically knocking out enemies in a jeep and driving them off a bridge after bailing out.

This game is definitely for those who want a slight taste of what MGS V: The Phantom Pain will have to offer while at the same time discovering some new story content and trying to ace every mission this prologue has to offer.
on 23 September 2014
I'm really enjoying this game. It's the slickest looking game I have so far on the PS4. It's a sizeable demo, but still a demo, so I'm looking forward to the main game 'phantom pain'... The gamecon video demo of the full game looks good, so bring it on!
on 5 May 2015
I love this series so much. I've grown up with the games.

MGSV is no exception to the excellence that Hideo Kojima so often displays with his games. They are nothing short of spectacular and will go down in history.

Ground Zeroes, I fear, will be known as the runt of the litter when it comes to metal gear games. It is a truly fantastic game that shows the series is still going strong, but it is incredibly short. A man on YouTube finished the main story in SIX minutes. It has around 6 missions, but this still doesn't merit the price of a full game.

For £15 I would say this is worth it, however. Ground Zeroes is but a taster of what's to come with The Phantom Pain, and it's a very good taste. Despite its length this is still a fantastic game
on 1 July 2014
If you love MGS as I do there's no good reason not to get this. The whole mythology, whilst confusing at times, weaves a deep story from the deepest recesses of the mind of Hideo Kojima (if it weren't for this I can definitely see this guy as an X-Files fan fiction type). As expected for this franchise, graphically gorgeous (good to see the PS4 starting to flex its....er.....flops?) with engaging sound, especially through a decent soundbar or surround sytem. A relatively short game, it nonetheless serves as a good prologue for the upcoming Phantom Pain later this year, and also includes a code for some PP digital freebies through the PS store but I can't comment on those yet as I haven't paid that much attention to it.

Would rate the game 5 stars if it were longer, but the price is fair and reflects this. If you're a big CoD style-of-gameplay fan perhaps you should look elsewhere, as the run and gun style of gameplay won't get you very far in this and you may find the game a bit dull. If you like the whole sneaky beaky thing it's well worth a punt, plus the lead's voice is Jack Bauer for extra tough guy kudos!
on 14 July 2014
I was expecting a bigger game than this, considering its half the price of a full game, this is just a demo really, wait for it to go down in price £5-£10.
on 1 November 2015
Hardest game in the world! Like, this game is not meant for me. You will need to be a proper gamer and spend loads of time to complete the missions. I thought this game would be like call of duty campaign mode. But one day i will finish the story mode to know what happens lol. Im giving it a 3 star coz it would be good if you know how to play.