on 26 June 2013
I love nothing more then getting hooked on a good tv series, but i didn't quite expect my obsession with Ripper Street to be so strong! I first saw the trailers around christmas and watched it each and every week, with my love of the different characters growing with every episode. Each character has their own story and unique hidden back story which gets revealed as the series continues. This added with each weeks different mystery leads for an addictive show, as you want to watch week by week as we discover more about the three lead characters.

Adam Rothenberg, Jerome Flynn and Matthew McFadyen (Jackson, Drake and Reid) are all brilliant, working well with each other to create a believable police unit, with great supporting characters such as Rose and Long Susan and adorable trainee policeman Hobbs!

I got given this DVD for my birthday and have already watched it through again twice, i literally can't get enough, the series improves each time you watch it as you pick up dialogue or notice things you had previously missed. Brilliant stories, amazing acting and spectacular settings, this really is one to buy. I have sat down to watch it with my mum as well, so it is one for all the ages, if you are a bit squeamish it might be best to close your eyes through some parts but don't let that put you off because the stories alone are just great.

I can't wait for the next series which is being filmed as i type, bring on more Ripper Street!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 February 2015
I'm kind of late to Ripper Street. I only found out about it's existence recently, three seasons in. I love the Victorian era though so started season 1 and it's one of the best tv series I have seen in years, years!

The premise follows H division, a squad of police in Whitechapel 1889 set six months after the infamous Jack the Ripper murders. The show I want to stress is not about Jack, the idea is to focus on the police who failed to catch him and their fear that he will come back though it soon expands into a variety of crimes, plots and murders.

The show is pretty gritty, they don't really hold back with prostitutes, diseases, underpaid worker strikes all playing large parts, the era is not romanticized looking at darker elements of the time. There are also some nice historical elements put in showing the development of technology with cameras, the building of the London Underground which really help cement the atmosphere along with the brilliant costumes, suits, hairstyles and sets. It's an excellent show.

The acting is superb by every one of the cast creating some tense and sometimes genuinely emotional moments. Ripper streets main characters are Detective Edmund Reid (Mattew Macfadyen) who heads H division teaming up with former military man Detective Sergeant Bennet Drake (Jerome Flynn) and former US army surgeon Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenburg) to solve cases. Each character has distinct personality as well as backstory that slowly develops as the show progresses for the 8 one hour episode season.

Final thoughts, I loved Ripper Street and can't wait to find the time to watch season 2.The atmosphere is great, the era is wonderful, the cast and sets are striking. It just felt full of character.

Recommended.

+ Historical technology is fun.
+ Sets, costumes and atmosphere are superb.
+ Interesting characters, splendid acting.
+ Delves into the darker parts of Victorian life.
on 28 January 2013
This is just a review of the TV series so far, (after five episodes).
I love Ripper Street! It's a strange mix of thoroughly convincing Victorian dialog, slow and intriguing character development, excellent casting, acting and direction and the introduction, (as a previous reviewer noted) of `new technology' which gives the series an almost Steampunk feel without detracting from the impression that it is rooted in a very real and visceral world. I love the way that all the major characters are damaged in some way but hide their pain rather than wallowing in it.
That there is a token American in it is no surprise as the BBC rather patronisingly assumes Americans will only watch a British drama if there is one of their own in it.
I have no idea what the DVD sound and picture quality will be like of what extras will be included but, as this is a BBC production I would assume that they will all be up to par.
The only note of caution I would inject is that at £17 (or £17.99 for the Blu-ray) this is not cheap. Personally I am happy to wait until it drops by a few quid as it should do by the time I'm ready to re-watch it.
As the program has received good ratings and has also gained critical approval here's hoping for a second series.

Update - The BBC have just announced a second series of 8 stories for transmission in 2014. Hurrah!
on 29 January 2013
Having followed this series intently so far, and having read the current reviews on Amazon, I have come to the definite conclusion that purchasing this series on DVD is a must for me. I've always been a sucker for a Victorian Detective - firstly with various TV and film incarnations of Sherlock Holmes [even tho he is a 'consulting' detective] and then with the TV series 'Sergeant Cork' in the 1960s and 'Sergeant Cribb' in the 1980s.
These could be classed as the 'original' Victorian detective dramas I suppose although Victorian London did seem a bit on the clean side...
Ripper Street is every bit as good as these previous series were, plus I think it shows a more realistic version of Victorian London - grey, filthy, violent and awash with drink and drugs in some areas. Yet in the middle of all that we get glimpses of things to come and promises of a better future, tho not for everyone.
Not much different from the 21st century in some ways, when you think about it!
If you're into Victorian detectives then I happily recommend this series.
on 20 January 2013
I was really surprised to see no reviews beyond one raising a negative technical issue so I felt one was needed.
I admit I was unsure to start with- the music and style of the credits looked to me to be a rip-off of the wonderful Robert Downey Jnr/Jude Law Sherlock Holmes movies- but I stuck with it and am now a fan.
The characters are engaging, the settings atmospheric and the stories original and gripping. The cast is uniformly excellent and the production values high. I also found it gritty without being sordid or gratuitous.
OK, we are only three episodes in at time of writing, but let's welcome the resurgence of good, intelligent drama on British TV, which this undoubtedly is.
on 27 January 2013
One of the best things on British TV in many years, infinitely superior to the first (ok) and second (silly) Sherlock Holmes movies if only for the superbly researched and handled dialogue. The highest possible praise to the scriptwriter for really doing something redolent of the speech patterns of the time, without falling into the cheeky cockney cliches of Hammer Film-style treatments of the Ripper theme. OK, so there's a misplaced American doctor, but international coproduction makes that inevitable - and much less obtrusive than the Irish dinosaur hunters imposed on "Primeval".

The best thing about Ripper Street is that it IS relentlessly distasteful and horrific, as street life of the period no doubt was. And the way modern technology makes an appearance in every episode - the moving picture, the mass-produced addictive drugs, the underground railway - is endlessly fascinating.

Matthew McFadyen's star turn is also suitably driven and tortured, an outstanding performance.

Can't wait to see the rest of the series and the DVD set.
on 19 February 2013
Ever since the first episode aired, I've been hooked to this series!

The way each episode is written is gripping and the three main characters (The Inspector, Drake, and Jackson)
are so well developed and form an awesome trio.

Can't wait for the dvd to come out as I've been watching the episodes repeatedly on BBC Iplayer.
Fingers crossed for a second season too!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 March 2013
This well acted and produced highly original series is not for the faint hearted as it deals with some very shocking themes - a Victorian version of the French series "Spiral" springs to mind! However, despite all the care lavished on the design and detail, blu ray transfer is not perfect unfortunately. The opening section of episode one, in fact, has a problem of fringing during fast movement which is rather distracting but this settles down after about 10 minutes - a coding issue perhaps. On video projection it is much worse. The black levels are not very wonderful either but on a normal size tv are probably okay. Thankfully the audio is fine! That said, this highly ambitious series - superbly acted by it's leads - well written with an authentic note of "otherness" in the dialogue, and intriguingly plotted, does give a fascinating picture of Victorian life in the raw. The past is another country, they do things differently there - and "Ripper Street" certainly demonstrates that in all it's uncompromising horror!
on 12 February 2014
This is one of the best TV Series I have had the pleasure to watch. It is a bit brutal in places; but this is only a true reflection of the "timeset". However, I do not think it is any more brutal than The Spartacus Serialisation, so I would implore BBC to continue with further series. I am really looking forward to this. Would recommend to friends.
on 17 February 2013
Just watched the latest episode , only one to go , hope we are going to get another series as will miss when finished. Have enjoyed the series and the way the character's have developed. BBC drama at its best. Great acting and filming. Would recommend to anyone who loves police period drama, as good as Sherlock .