4.7 out of 5 stars1,197
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£12.99

on 6 March 2014
Kindle version of this book a major disappointment. Am huge fan of Mary Berry for many years and have used her recipes constantly,more so than any other food writer. I have 5 books and on my second copy of Complete Cookbook due to seriously constant use over the years, so much so that I had to replace the first copy. Bought the Kindle version of Mary Berry Cooks and am crushed that the print is so so faint. The print can only be described as faint and fainter - with parts eg. A Dinner Party menu unreadable. The photographs are so small they tell you nothing and they are not worth printing. I will use the kindle version as a handy reference for ingredients at the shops and as a reminder when in the kitchen to cook with, but would not recommend this version. I will go out and buy the book. The contents are worth reading, I learnt to freeze food from her earlier books years ago and saved a lot of time and money by following her advice. Plus the recipes are my style of cooking. But I can not read parts of the book in the kindle version and until they improve the print I would not tell a friend to buy this.
1111 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 April 2014
Last night I spent a couple of hours preparing today's lunch - no panic, no stress. Mary gave instructions on preparing vegetables ahead and said it was perfectly feasible to reheat the veg in the oven the next day: cooked red cabbage, sweet potato, carrots and broccoli - you half cook them, cool down with water and display them beautifully on a dish. The dish was covered with foil and just heated up the next day for 25 mins. The yorkshire puddings were made the night before - 8 minutes reheating on the day - perfect! I even par roasted the roast potatoes, chilled them and just continued cooking for 25 minutes the next day.

The joint of meat was a 5lb lamb shoulder - cooked slowly for 3 to 4 hours. Whilst the meat was resting I could heat up all the above. The result - very happy well fed 8 family members. Don't stress or over complicate things - following Mary's down to earth tips will leave you feeling great, not frazzled and worn out so you can enjoy spending time with friends and family.
This is a lovely book: well written and with great photographs of most (but not all) of the dishes.

Mary Berry makes me feel that she is cooking not to show off her skills, but for the delight of producing good food and serving it for other people to enjoy. There is something essentially modest and unassuming about her style, both on television and in this book. Her focus is the food and the pleasure it will bring to people to use her recipes and eat the results.

The recipes are preceded by useful sections about running an efficient kitchen, ingredients to keep and advice on freezing, The recipes are relatively simple, clear to follow and well laid out. They detail the dishes that she is showing on television in the current series.

This is a book about good food: unpretentious, tried, trusted and able to be adopted with confidence. Well worth buying and trying. Five stars.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2014
As you'd expect from Mary, it's a beautiful book with plenty of delicious-sounding recipes and good advice. We've only cooked the stir-fried pork so far but it was delicious, so I can't wait to try the rest. The photography is lovely too, it really feels like you're at home with Mary.
33 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2014
Sorry, but this book sees to me to be one made just to make another book. Nothing new and rather boring. I have used Mary Berry's books over many years and this one was not up to expectations.
on 26 March 2014
There are a lot of good ideas and tips in here. One of the better cook books around at the moment. Typical Mary Berry; good, easy, tasty recipes that anyone can follow
on 11 April 2014
An excellent book to accompany the recent series. Easy recipes, beautiful photos, a real pleasure to own. A book that you will use time and time again
on 2 March 2014
A beautiful addition to my collection - it didnt dissapoint, Bought the book ahead of the series starting on Monday evening and looking forward to following Mary through some of these beautiful recipes.
on 16 March 2016
I bought it from Harrods with discount for £6
It was a good purchase, actually it is worth the £6 I would regret it for more..
The book includes lovely recipes however if you're confused which Mery bery book to buy definitly go for Absolute Favorites. However this one has different recipes that are good to try and are tasty too. As I said I would recommend it on sale if you're looking for different easy things to try!
on 26 March 2014
I am watching Mary Berry 's TV Cookery Show at the minute and just wanted all the recipes she has done so far. In this Book you get all those recipes and much much more!
Well done Mary Berry can't wait to get cooking all of your lovely recipes!