on 20 March 2014
After many long years my Panasonic 28" CRT finally went wonky.

Originally I was going to purchase a Panasonic TXL32E6B, but then I saw the new Sony and Panasonic side by side. No contest!

HD Picture simply stunning. SD excellent.. Mine is piped through a Virgin V+ box.

Sound: OK. Well I was spoiled with a CRT, so didn't expect too much. Acceptable, but will probably get a soundbase/bar sometime.

Apps: There are lots of Apps, most of them seem a bit worthless. We have used Netflix. Only has iplayer and 5OD as "watch again" apps, but this doesn't bother me as I have Watch again on the Virgin box. Amazon Prima/Instant Video doesn't work, yet.

Integration: I have mine hard wired as it's next to the router. Excellent streaming of videos/music etc from PC. Have used Nexus 7 (2013 version) for Miracast, so I can keep an eye on what's happening on the kids Minecraft!

Tweaks: You can fiddle all the settings 'til the cows come home.

Summary: Picture: Excellent Sound OK. Apps: OK
22 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
Pleased with the TV so far. The picture is excellent and the sound is an improvement from my last Sony TV. The slimmed down bezel looks really nice and the stand works well.

Some extra features - Netflix button, football button, radio button, full HD, apps etc.

Positives: Picture quality, design, price, easy set-up (in theory!), functionality, loads of inputs/outputs.

Negatives: Had trouble tuning channels - Sony weren't much help but John Lewis were - looks like it needed to be tuned in prior to setting up wi-fi for some reason, so worth trying that if you have a similar issue. Lag on start-up before functions work, as mentioned in other reviews - if this is the price to pay for having streaming apps then i'd rather just have a great TV and buy a separate streaming box (this remains the main negative with the TV). Apps can be a bit clunky. Limited choice of good quality apps. No favourites button - it seems like you can edit your favourites (all 4 of them!) but not actually access them, i'm prob missing something tho. HDMI leads don't always sit perfectly, depends on their design. Can't work out how to overide auto shut off (you just press a button but it's a bit annoying).

Apps: No ITVplayer or 4OD, which seems bizarre. No Now TV app, so streaming box needed to get sky sports as pay per view, which should also add the other missing apps. Netflix of course. You Tube is good, Amazon Prime also. Picasa. Lots of other apps, mostly very niche and uninspiring. Apps and app store as a whole ok'ish to use but can be slow to respond. BT pay-per-view app needed to be able to watch all sports without a contract but there isn't one.

Other: I-manual on the remote covers most things. Remote syncing/screen mirroring (haven't tried them out yet). Related search is great - it tells you all about the programme, including details of any song playing at the time! Poss worth waiting for the 2015 model vs. cheaper price for 2014 model/sales season. Radio button is a nice touch. Roku through HDMI worked straight away. At the moment I prefer my Roku streaming to the services that come with the TV, as it's speedier, better design and better to use. Do we really need 3 al jazeera channels? How about some French/Irish/Spanish content etc. Finally, i'd definitely recommend using the graphic equaliser to improve the sound, as it makes a big difference.
on 30 April 2015
I'd previously bought 2013's 24 inch Sony Bravia KDL24W605A and was quite happy with it on the whole. When this came up at a good price I bought it for my grandparents as a Christmas present as their old TV was knackered. [Update May 2015]. Due to problems with this TV I've now taken possession of the TV and had to buy another for my grandparents.

The display itself is great - can't fault it (SD looks very good @ 32", HD looks fantastic), as is the sound as discreet speakers go. On the display and sound alone this a great television, 5 stars.

The guide loads quickly & without audio interruption, displaying 8 channels at a time. The guide is good, but for some reason it goes over the whole picture with no miniaturized display in the top left, which is present on the 2013 model.

See attached picture comparing both remotes. The remote when compared to the previous year's has added a swap button to change between previously viewed channel & current (I did miss this on the 2013 remote - it's the bottom right button next to prog +/-, "media" on 2013 remote), but now also has a big netflix button on the same wheel where the guide button previously was, that you will either love (as you use Netflix) or not (don't use Netflix). I fall into the latter camp. The Guide button is relegated to a smaller more fiddly position. Would have preferred the Guide button stayed put and the Netflix button be where the guide now is & programmable to open any app.

I don't find the menus as user friendly as I did on the 24 inch Sony Bravia from 2013. They seem more squished in and shy to use the available space. When first entering the menu everything is at first accessed from a bar running all along the very top of the screen, about an inch in width (on a 32 inch screen). Things are squished in this bar somewhat, as instead of having text visible at all times saything what is what, icons are used instead, that you must first navigate to in order for the text pop up & say what they are (you get used to it, but it's just not as user friendly). The rest of the screen is filled with content of what's on different channels/coming up/featured links/app links. While informative, the guide was fine for this.

Where the TV has really disappointed me is the media player when plugging in a USB stick or accessing a DLNA server such as Serviio. There are issues with the media player crashing when using USB, which upon looking up the problem, seems quite widespread.

When using a 64GB USB stick that I've filled to capacity, the files will play, and once they've started playing they rarely stop, but the media player often crashes while navigating to them. Once it has crashed you have to turn off/disconnect the TV from the mains to get the media player to load successfully again, as subsequent attempts without doing so have the media player crash immediately. My best guess is that it's to do with loading in thumbnails on the folders. It stops halfway through loading them and soon crashes - so I think this is the issue. The issue may not be present with smaller capacity sticks - but it shouldn't be present at all. Sometimes going into a folder and coming back out will allow the thumbnails to fully load and it won't crash. Again, nobody should have to do this to prevent it from crashing - it's just very odd.

[May 2015] Further to using the TV more myself, there is latency when fast forwarding or rewinding via USB or media servers/anything that uses the Sony media player. When you remove your finger from the fast forward/rewind button it will continue rewinding or fast forwarding for a half second/second or so [June 2015 Added video, I clocked it at 0.58 second latency compared to 0.16 on the 24 inch Sony]. This sort of latency is not present in the 2013 model, which is far more responsive. The latency sometimes stops the file from playing altogether and you have to go back to the previous screen and select the file again, and has crashed the player once. I've dropped the rating down to 2 stars as using the USB & media server functionality was a key component for me. Also Sony's customer service has so far been abysmal in trying to find any solution to the problems.

The TV is sponsored by the 2014 Brazil world cup and it includes a special "Football Mode" with its own button on the remote. It tweaks the sound with what seems to be some reverb and adjusts the picture slightly. It's meant to give you more of a "stadium experience" from what I recall in the literature. It's not something I've felt the need to use.

Samsung still have the monopoly on catchup TV apps. No ITVPlayer or 4OD available here. Demand 5 & Iplayer apps a little buggy last time I used them, but they did work. Bugs are slow in being fixed and disappointed in this, along with the lack of ITV & 4OD. (I've been told 4OD have an agreement with Samsung, but looked up ITV & apparently ITV exclusivity ran out 2 years ago?)

There are some parts I don't/haven't used like the social view. It's to do with logging into social networking accounts (like Twitter) with the TV and getting tweets while watching at the same time.

The stand is better than the 24 inch stand, but the 32+ inch stands may have always been better. Padded at contact points with rubber - see attached picture.

As with the previous year's Bravias, one of the greatest plus points and simultaneously worst points is the stand/mounting bracket. It comes with all you need to mount it on a wall - the stand doubles up as a point of connection between the TV and the bracket that screws into the wall. So you're good to go without needing to buy a seperate VESA bracket or other bracket. The worst part is if you want the extra versatility of tilting and moving that a VESA wall mount brings or already have one, there are no VESA holes in the TV. So you will have to DIY a link between the Sony & VESA bracket (I've read people have done it with wood).

In summary, Great Picture (probably better than the comparable Samsung UE32H5500), Good sound (for discreet speakers), lackluster catchup apps and frustrating playback from USB & frustrating FF & RW functionality on media servers & USB (anything using Sony media player).
review image review image
on 29 June 2014
the TV itself is great, what lets it down is the smart side of it. perhaps I should have done more research and it probably isn`t Sony`s fault but the internet side of the TV is not as good as I expected. the browser is very limited and will not play live videos which is why I bought it rather than a new laptop to stream to my old TV.
the quality of the picture is really great and everything else the TV does is really good, if it wasn`t for the internet problems it would get 5 stars.
on 23 September 2014
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around the edges give the impression the screen is actually bigger than it is, a very modern look. The power supply is from a block type transformer and the lead to it from the mains plug is quite short - luckily I had a longer replacement and that meant I was able to place the TV on top of a chest of drawers and plug the mains lead on to a trailing socket on the floor - sitting the block behind the TV. It would have pulled the lead out of the back of the TV had I left the block dangling down to the floor.

The picture is a big improvement on my 2007 model, its very clear and the colours are vibrant. HD channels really stand out and the motion seems a lot smoother. The screen is also no reflective which helps if its placed near a window or any other light source.

I used an Ethernet cable to give it internet access and set it an IP reservation on my router, it then went off and found a software update which downloaded and installed smoothly. The whole process took about 15 mins to set the TV up, and all you need is a cross head screwdriver to set the legs and stand up. It also comes with a wall bracket if you want to wall mount it.

I was quite impressed by the TV until it came to setting the sound up, I just can't get it to sound 'good'. I've tried many settings - and there are a lot of sound settings - but it always ends up sounding a bit tinny and hollow. You can get bass from the equaliser settings but it always just ends up sounding 'ok'. There's even settings to change from wall mounted to table top but I can't find a happy medium. If anyone reading this review is able to get theirs sounding good without having to purchase a subwoofer or a sound bar, please let me know your settings! My old 32D300 was really good for sound without having to play with any settings, this new TV isn't a patch on it. I should have know better I suppose, a lot of the reviews did mention this. My bad!

One other little niggle is the sleep timer. If you are viewing a external source such as a Freesat Box, you can use the sleep timer as usual, set it up from the remote and just fall to sleep. However, if you are watching anything from a Sony Blu Ray/USB key or streaming and want to set it up, you have to select another source first, set the timer up and then return to your content as the remote button fails to bring the sleep timer up on the screen. Annoying!

The SMART services are ok a little slow even with a very fast internet connection, but again still no ITV Player or 4OD unlike the new Samsung range.

You select the APPs you want and add them to your own list, Amazon Prime Instant Video is on there and does work well, and in fact the remote control has a separate NETFLIX button which is quite useful.

There is a built in Freesat box and satellite connecter next to the normal aerial plug but I'm yet to try it out - I still have a trusty Humax Freesat HD box for now.

I'll keep this TV for the bedroom (and have to keep fiddling trying to find a decent sound), but I'll definitely be looking at other brands in the future before committing to buy - Sony are no longer the top brand they used to be - in my opinion - they seem to be getting left behind by others.

From what should have been a 5 star product, I've removed 1 star for the sound quality and another for the niggles like the sleep timer, lack of ITV Player & 4OD and short mains cable.

*Edit*.

I've had this TV for a couple of weeks now, and after many calls to Sony regarding the sound quality - the only help they can offer is to recommend I return the TV and try a different Sony model. Not what I'd expect Sony, shame on you!

Anyhow, I decided to keep the TV as the picture is great and some of the features are useful, so I invested in a Denon DHT-T100 soundbase rather than buy anything else Sony as they'd disappointed me with their customer support and I didn't like any of their sound bars. The TV now has great sound to go along with the great picture, the Denon sat under the TV looks good and you can't see any cables which pleased my wife. You can train the Denon to accept volume controls from the Sony TV remote easily, but once you set the audio output on the Bravia to Audio System, you'll keep getting a "TV Volume is fixed" warning message every time you adjust the volume - quite annoying if you watch a subtitled foreign film. Sony need to have a setting in the menu's to disable this message as its quite a common issue on A/V forums.

If I find a fix I'll update this review.
77 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2014
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

'Don't get him started about flat panel televisions' is a commonly heard phrase in my house. As someone lucky enough to have seen the stunning picture on Sony's Trinitron H.D. C.R.T. TV (which, fair enough, weighed, er, let's just say a lot) this means that my opinion of flat panel televisions is not high. A collection of unhappy compromises is probably the fairest I can be.

Sadly, the day had to come when my dear old Sony Trinitron began to fade. Ah, many's the time when my flat-paneled friends would come round to watch the football because the motion blur on their swanky (I added the s) new televisions did their heads in. Anyway, the review:

I'm a Sony kinda guy, and have been for decades, so when the day came to get a new television they were always going to be my first choice. I didn't want a massive screen, but I did want a television with the best H.D. picture that I could get from a 32 inch screen; the Sony KDL-32W705B is it.

Out of the box, the H.D. picture was good and the S.D. picture was terrible, but having seen and helped friends set up their new TVs, this was not unexpected, and as I would be calibrating it anyway, didn't worry me. After calibration the H.D. picture was excellent and the S.D. picture was more than acceptable. For technical reasons, it's impossible to get a very good S.D. broadcast picture on a full H.D. television.

The screen handles the H.D. signal from a Blu-ray player extremely well, displaying a crisp, clear, and detail rich picture, with only the tiniest amount of motion blur in fast action scenes. Watching the World Cup on the Freeview H.D. channels again produced an excellent picture, with only very small amounts of motion blur coming from the ball when it was traveling at high speed.

Sound quality is exactly what you would expect from a flat panel television, so you will need to buy a sound bar, or sound base.

Design and build quality is, as you would expect from Sony, very high. A top quality plastic case and a perfectly smooth screen with a very neat bezel. The inputs and outputs are nicely laid out, and the set is very well balanced on the metal stand supplied. The remote is a little bit too small and lightweight for my liking, but it is neatly laid out and works well.

I would recommend going to Sony's website for the full specification and list of web content and Apps.

If you're thinking about moving from a C.R.T. TV to flat panel television, I can recommend this model. It won't be be able to produce the high quality S.D. broadcast picture that you are used to, but the H.D. picture is terrific. I would strongly recommend calibrating it using a calibration disc, as this will make a huge difference. Trying to adjust it by eye and guesswork will only produce an acceptable picture at best.
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2014
Wow! I have bought a lot of televisions in my life, and this one has simply blown me away. I've only had it for a day, so it's hard to comment on every nuance and aspect of it, but I've already pretty much got under the skin of it, and it is very intuitive.

It's beautifully designed, amazingly thin bezel and body, and picture that almost looks like HD when it's standard broadcast, a wonderful sleek modern menu system, really easy to connect to WIFI and locked on to the signal well enough to play Catchup TV, even though we have a very lowly 1.6 Mbps broadband connection.

The whole styling is out of this world, and it just seems to do all you expect it would, without any disappointment I have found so far.

The only main thing I've not tried yet, is HDD recording, which I'll be interested to see how it's implemented.

Just one thing I would have liked, but I'm hoping I can download those APPS, is that by default, 4DO and ITV Catchup APPS don't seem to have been included in the APPS screen. My very new Samsung Smart TV downstairs had those by default, so I'm hoping I can somehow download them.

Oh, and it connected to my DLNA media servers, (miles away in the house) and found all the content on those, and when a different PC booted up downstairs, it found that too - as a DLNA server.

It is simply stunning, and I would not hesitate to recommend on the basis of my short time with it. You won't regret it!
66 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2015
Excellent tv and a good price as Sony have just brought out a newer model (so this one may not be available for too much longer).
Lots of features I'll never use but there if/when needed.
Easy to set up and looks good. Picture quality is excellent even though I have a freeview hd box this tv seems to improve non hd quality too.
Only niggle is the remote where some options are too close together and can be frustrating when menus keep popping up by mistake ... maybe improve as I get used to the remote.
After much debate I got the silver version, glad I did as it makes the corner of the room seem brighter and a more pleasurable viewing experience with no black frame - only thing is it makes the tv stand look dated now!
on 21 July 2015
It is slow. After hardware update to latest firmware it got even slower. After turning TV on it stays unfunctional for about a minute (it is very annoying). Sony player cannot play some files from USB - crashes in middle. On some reviews on YouTube people there saying that Sony TVs are better calibrated showing more details than Samsung TVs and that Samsung colors are to exaggerated just for show to attract buyers in shops. It is not true. If you buy this Sony TV you will have to calibrate it manually (had to turn off almost all those picture enhancers to make picture look real), black gradient is even worse than on Samsung TVs. Menus look very nice, but I would prefer 8bit look if it would make it a little faster. The only true thing is that Sony TV look better built than Samsung. A little bit disappointed that such a big brand like Sony manipulates with consumers by what seems giving more (tweeting while watching TV, football button, etc.), giving less (main functions is poorly performing).
on 11 September 2014
I purchased this tv after a great deal of research. A great choice, well worth the price. Would have liked a more detailed printed manual.