on 19 February 2015
This is a great TV. I had an old sony CRT TV and held out for years for giving in and buying an LED TV. This one is good. The motion looks fine on it - I read tonnes of reviews and worried about motion blur and moving image lag but it's really fine. The most frustrating thing was that auditioning all TVs in a shop is really tricky. I even tried bringing along some home videos in 1080p 50fps but they looked terrible on all the TVs in the shop even the latest 4k TVs. Also had a bluray which also didn't look that great. Turns out as soon as I bought one of these, you need to change the following settings and the TV stops looking ridiculously garish and ultra-contrasty with clipped whites and reds and greens everywhere.

My settings:
1. turn off the ambient light sensor under the Eco menu
2. Set Scene select to "Cinema"
3. In picture options set colour balance to "warm 1"

It turns out shockingly that these are only specific to each input which frankly is a pain. I had a blu ray player connected and it stubbornly refused to let me access the picture options, until I realised that you can press the Apps SEN button on the remote. Then you use the cursors to go to the settings in the top right and you can actually change the same settings for each device you connect (blu ray, video etc). It is irritating that there is no easy way to set the same picture settings throughout (I tried the common input setting, but this didn't work for me). Also, make sure that with blu-ray/ DVD if you are watching an old DVD in 4:3 format and it keeps stretching it to fullscreen, then you need to use the SEN button, settings options to access the Screen format menu and change the 4:3 menu from the default "Zoom" to "Normal". You might have to configure your blu ray player too, otherwise it will ruin (stretch) the 4:3 format as well (I did).

NB. if you watch your own home videos using a USB stick they generally look rubbish and ultra contrasty on the default setting. But again, when watching the USB video file you can:
1. Press options button
2. Set scene select to Cinema
3. Go back to Options menu and select Picture
4. Change colour balance to Warm 1

This makes a huge difference to how home videos look. Suddenly they look natural and great. Also, the 1080p with 50fps plays just wonderfully. Happy TV watching!
on 22 October 2014
I've used this for a month now and it's a great TV. Amazing picture, great detail, vivid colours but not overdone. Indeed, as some reviewers here say, it does take a while for it to boot up, and it has an annoying static noise (which can be very loud if the speaker is turned up), when switching between modes or sometimes, between apps and a different input. That is the biggest nuisance I have with it. Apart from that, plenty of HDMI and other inputs.

Works perfectly discovering Plex servers I have in the network, as well as with Apple TV and Chromecast. Not a single issue.
on 25 August 2015
Thank You for all your help in the Delivery of the Bravia Television. Within two hours of you getting in touch with me the Carriers had the large package at my door by 19:20 pm. My neighbour is so great-full for you taking the time to help in this circumstance. They cannot wait to un-pack and set-up their new TV.
Again, Thank-you Jay for taking the time to assist us.
As we said during the telephone call we will be making another Purchase with you in the next few days.
I am yours faithfully .
Gwyn
on 14 June 2015
I've had this television for less than a day and I'm already loving it, the picture quality is absolutely brilliant, the apps are superb..the remote is a bit fiddly... Still...best TV I've ever owned.
on 3 October 2017
Easy to set up and good value. Picture quality is very good.
on 30 September 2014
I considered a few TV's before buying this KDL42W705B, our current Sony Lcd TV is still going strong after 6yrs. This replacement is. a worthy successor, picture quality is very impressive, I really like the VA panels Sony are using on their 2014 models, the blacks are some of the best Ive seen. I was. little concerned due to being so thin, and with other comments from some users suggesting the use of a sound bar to improve sound quality, I may need to buy one myself to get acceptable sound.
However,the sound is almost as good as the set its replaced, its certainly far better than I was expecting, and after tweaking sound setting to increase bass a little, it sounds pretty good,so I certainly wont be buying a sound bar as I really dont think its necessary, but if audiophiles want better sound then one has that option.

As a result of buying this TV Ive decided I will be renewing my Amazon Prime membership, as this TV has the Amazon App for playing Amazon movies, which works superbly, lots of other useful apps especially iPlayer. I also found the screen mirroring feature works great with our iPad and Android devices displaying the devices images very well indeed.

This TV has 2 tuners, a freeview, and a satellite tuner, I have not used the freeview tuner as we cannot receive freeview here, so we use. Humax twin tuner freesat PVR which works brilliantly. I have for curiousity however tried the satellite tuner, where it found over 700 channels, with lots being mere dupicates or being encrypted but all the current free to watch channels worked fine, and though you dont get the genuine freesat EPG you do get a EPG, but the proper freesat version is better, as I use the Humax freesat box the tuners will never get used so no big deal, but the Satellite tuner may be useful to some people.

What surprised me was the quality of the screen backlighting, being a EdgeLit backlight which is illuminated from the bottom I was expecting some uneven patches of brightness, but tests show it to be 100% uniform across the whole panel, with no bleed that I could detect even in a dark room so Im extremely pleased with the panel quality, and obviously no faulty pixels either. A very bright sharp panel, BTW if you find your set seems a little lacking in the brightness department, in other words you have to set your brightness levels high, try disabling the ambient light sensor in system settings, and it will spring to life, but make sure you calibrate it properly afterwards.

I really dont have many negatives to say about this TV, I paid £459 which was good value price, for what is a very capable TV. Unusually it uses a separate power brick to power the TV, which may need the cable extending if wall mounting, but in my case its hidden behind the corner TV cabinet, the TV itself remains cold even after many hours use which is a plus of having a separate power unit which tends to generate most heat in a TV, and also easier to replace of course.

If it turns out to be as reliable as the set its replaced I shall be most pleased, so based on the few days Ive had the TV it gets a Highly Recommended from me.
44 Comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2014
Best tv for gaming with the lowest input lag of 6ms and full 4:4:4 reproduction.Great colors and good sound.Highly recommend for gamers.
on 2 May 2014
Love this TV, easy to set up. Brilliant size for the room, did research before ordering to check for optimum size. Good looking stand and love thin surround. I use it with an LG soundbar.
on 27 November 2014
I bought this tv after reading the reviews as they were all fairly positive, I use the TV mainly for the Xbox one and it's great. I only have 2 very little negatives and they are the sound isn't that good compared to my 5yr old toshiba (so I bought the cheapest Sony sound bar which I high recommend), the other was that I wanted to mount the TV on the wall, I was impressed that the stand also doubles up as a wall mount, but the plastic spacers that space the TV away from the wall don't fit very well and there's abit of movement in the wall mount assembly so these spacers fall out if the TV is touched, I don touch the TV that much as we have the remote, this are only 2little winges and does not affect the performance viewing of the TV.
review image
11 Comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 August 2014
Where should I start...

The Sony KDL42W705 is a substantial TV. It looks pleasing and is nice and slim. As with other Sony products it is a breeze to setup and get up and running. The picture out of the box is pleasant, but with a little tweaking it can look better. The smart functionality is excellent. It does have allot of unnecessary apps, but you can remove these if you so desire.

The sound is good, but to really get the best out of it, you should invest in external speakers. The bezel is nice and thin and during a movie you can barely notice it. You can run the software update, so you have the latest stable release and after that you are good to go.

Playing games on it is briliant and it is fast and responsive. Watching a blu-ray is sublime, the colours are accurate and "The Amzing Spiderman" looked awesome on it.

I thoroughly recommend it. If you want 3D then this isn't for you, look at the next model up with 3D spec. But, for normal HD viewing you can't go wrong.