on 4 August 2015
Tom Gray has settled down with his wife and child and is just running the company now. He sends people out to train up foreign armies, but tries to keep out of trouble himself. Until the day he visits his wife's uncle's shop and gets into a bit of a fracas with a local thug.

Two stories then unfold. The thug wanting revenge and an uprising in Africa. Tom is torn between the two, but needs to help his men as they are seemingly overwhelmed.

With this series of books I seem to really like the odd numbers and aren't fussed on the even numbers. This being book number 4 didn't do much for me. His team in Africa didn't appear to be in too much peril, even being outnumbered 10 to 1. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this - the writing is good - but the subject matter didn't interest me as much as books 1 and 3.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 September 2015
I don't know why, but I previously thought that the Tom Gray series was a trilogy. I was thrilled to find out there were more books. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first three books in the series but I found the action in Gray Retribution a little bland compared to the previous books. I especially found it too easy how his team escaped in Africa and how simply the thugs were dispatched to their maker at the end. Despite some drama, I did not get the feelings of anticipation and the 'OMG, what next?'' I got from the other books.
It is a good action book by all means and I still recommend it to action fans. It is possible I have left too much a gap between reading Book 3 and Book 4.
I have started Gray Vengeance and already, book 5 is promising to be a great read, back in the Tom Gray tradition.
on 10 September 2014
I have read all four books one after the other. Although four different stories there is a thread running though all of them. All have, obviously, been well researched and the style of writing gives you a real page turner. I thoroughly enjoyed all four books and would recommend them as good relaxing reading.
on 22 December 2014
Like other reviewers, I read the synopsis of Gray Justice and decided to give it a try. I was gripped from the very first page and delighted to see their were three more to follow. Now I sit here disappointed that I've just finished number 4, having read the lot in a little over a week! I was determined to save numbers 3 and 4 for my Christmas reading...alas, it was not to be. These are stories you can't put aside until later! It is rare to come across a new author with a new series where you feel you just have to read the lot, one after the other, but this is one of those series.
A superb main character, loyal, sensitive but utterly ruthless when he needs to be. A group of friends with similar qualities. And a bunch of villains who, had they but realised the capabilities of the men they were dealing with, would have stayed well away.
A brilliant action story, seriously violent in places, with an explosive finish that leaves the reader really looking forward to number 5, in which hopefully the author will tie up the couple of bits of unfinished business that Gray leaves in this one.
For lovers of a superb action story, get this series downloaded to enjoy over the Christmas/New Year holiday. There aren't be many better books around I promise you.
on 12 April 2016
When you say you 'can't put a book down' it's generally just a saying but in this case it's the absolute truth. I've actually read all the Tom Gray novels but for some reason missed Book 4 out - this being an important one on his background and family, an excellent read and explained a few facts that I wasn't sure about. I'm now waiting very impatiently for Book 7 to come out.
on 8 July 2014
Gray Retribution By Alan McDermott

This young author knows how to grasp the reader's attention--and then hold on to it.

This latest work in his oeuvre is typically one continual flow of action and incident, as the hero, Tom Gray, is drawn away from his home and his wife and young daughter to go to the aid of his employees, all tough ex-soldiers, on duty for his security firm in Africa.

What I have always liked about McDermott's central character, Tom Gray, is the fact that he goes against the fashionable image of the cynical and disillusioned "anti-hero." Gray is a man with strong beliefs and loyalties--to his men, to his wife and young daughter, to his friends.

Although he has decided to stay away from direct combat out of concern for his family, he feels that he has to go to the aid of his men when they find themselves trapped in the typically African chaos of a cynical uprising and brutal insurgency.

But before he makes this decision to go to Africa he has a chance contact with a gangster who runs a protection racket among business people - and out of deference to his wife's wishes that he stay out of trouble, he lets the incident ride.

The African guerrilla warfare is depicted, accurately, as vicious and brutal, with young boys dragooned into military action and then drugged into submission by ambitious and ruthless men who are out to swell their bank accounts rather than serving the interests of their own people.

The writing catches the casual brutality of the criminals exploiting political ambition and there are moments of extreme violence and murderous cruelty.

Tom Gray survives these perils in the heat and murk of the jungle and escapes with the help of a South African, who brings him to safety in Pretoria before he heads back to London.

But what Gray does not know is that while he has been away his family have gained the attention of the gangster he had agreed to let be, and an arsonist has been sent to destroy them.

What's more, there is a senior British security officer who is in the pay of the gangster.

Tom Gray is a man of action and he wants to find the arsonist and give him a haircut with a blowtorch, but his security colleagues persuade him to leave it to the police. McDermott manages a neat balancing act between Gray's immense grief and desire for revenge and his belief in following the conventional path of justice.

The action becomes more complex and diffuse, building up to a rousing and satisfying confrontation which combines regular police action and the freelance aggression which Gray and his men are masters of.

Once again, as with the author's previous work, I enjoyed his skill, his human sensibilities and his characters as I accompanied them on an entertaining adventure along the byways of warfare and gangsterdom and official corruption.

McDermott is a writer who is finding acclaim and a loyal readership.--Prospero.

Rating: Four Action-Packed Stars.

bestsellingcrimethrillers.com was provided with an advanced copy for review.
on 28 March 2016
Gray's team are in Africa training troops in the art of warfare. But things go very wrong when the guy's find themselves embroiled in a real war. Gray is back in London with his wife and baby girl. But he finds a way to extract his men, however, this means his having to go too and upsetting his wife Vick.
June Finnigan - Writer
on 21 August 2014
I thought this book was actually the best in the Tom Gray series. It was a roller coaster of a read where I felt different emotions throughout the book from frustration at some of the characters to heart felt sadness at the tragic loss of an important someone.
The last three chapters had me hooked and I could not put this book down. Emotional, exciting, gripping and a thoroughly good read.
on 14 July 2014
4th of series.. Having read the previous 3 which really gripped me, where i could not put book down and felt in touch with the characters; having waited for this book for some time, it did not quite stand out like the rest. I didn't feel so connected to all the characters as very little personal background details where built on to make them come more alive.. some of the story was much like the last few and no great twists and quirks as before, i kind of predicted a few twists from previous book style... Having said that still a good read and glad i purchased... All in all a great series of books i would recommend.. looking forward to Alan Mcdermott writing further stories with new characters and story-lines, he is a good writer in my mind... Thanks Alan....
on 20 January 2015
Wow I just love Tom Gray novels with every book they improve which I didn't think was possible! The storyline grabs you as soon as you start reading, it was a little sad for Tom but you know it'll work out eventually because he is so resourceful. I love reading anything about SAS characters does that make it biased,I don't know but I would highly recommend these books to anyone who likes action and let's be honest it has SAS involvement (kind of 😀!) you know it'll be good!!!!