Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.98

on 20 June 2014
This book capitalizes on the fact that it's a sequel. I thought the first book had a slow opening and a rather iffy third act, however I see now it was just getting the ball rolling.

Now it starts and throws you write in. The people of Atlantis (mainly the delegates and servants) are brilliant, and it doesn't stop once to go over stuff already said in the first book.

However, I do get the feeling that Atlantis was just a bright shiny show to distract you from the main event. It has a bit of a murder-mystery guide going on, and let's just say it's not something Sherlock would bother himself with. No, the true event is with a returning character, and I will say no more on them.

I do think it's a shame that I got distracted by the undercurrent, as the Atlantis bits a brilliant. The author didn't spend much time on the actual summit, but that's fine. Witty humour and dispute their obvious incompetence the villains are just so perfect.

Parting thoughts: read the first book to enjoy this one properly, like I said earlier, it builds on what was written before. A great read.

And just because I know no-one will read this far down-or at all-...

Bewbs.
on 20 June 2014
I was a bit disappointed in this sequel. I found the first book to be an entertaining, light read, which suffered from a lack of female characters and a society of male geeks that didn't really ring true. I was hoping the sequel would address these points, as I knew it was set in the female society of Atlantis.

First the good - if you enjoyed the first book there is nothing in the sequel that is going to spoil the series for you, it is largely more of the same in terms of style, plot and characterisation.

For me, I would say that is the main problem. The first book was fun as the premise and characters were novel, but by book two I felt it needed to branch off in some new directions or gain a layer or two of depth.

Instead, we get a society run by females that feels even less plausible than the men's mediaeval society. For example, there is a one-note joke about the women surrounding themselves with buff man-toys who spend their days looking pretty and having spa treatments, which fell rather flat for me the first time, let alone the tenth.
Then there is a mystery to solve, that is too reminiscent of the first book.
The magic system is expanded upon, and at least the women use it in more interesting ways than the men - but there are not really any ideas that thrilled me with their originality - if anything I found myself wondering why with almost limitless power they were so unimaginative.
The romance could have been the saving grace, as the main characters are likeable, but it felt clumsy rather than sweet to me.
A major time-travelling plot point is based around the character of Brit and this is quite interesting. The internal logic of the way time travelling operates isn't consistent though, which I found detracted from my enjoyment. I know it's first and foremost a comedy book, but I couldn't help but think "that's not right!" in a few places - maybe I'm overthinking it :-).

Finally, the brooding presence of book one's villain culminates in a somewhat muted finale, that I found unsatisfying. I'm guessing the author is setting things up for a more involved book three. Unfortunately, as is often the case, it's come at the cost of the second book feeling like a bit of a stop-gap.

In conclusion then, if, like me, you enjoyed the story and characters from the first book, check this out but don't expect too much from it. And let's hope for a much stronger book three!
on 10 July 2014
Following on from Off To Be The Wizard, this second book in the series takes our protagonists away from their home turf in Leadchurch, Medieval England to Atlantis, a few hundred years BC, for a summit of time travellers on the use of magic powers. Very clear and detailed descriptions of Atlantis and the premise was fascinating. The city was created as a refuge and sanctuary for female time travellers as women were not treated well in most historical times. And a very intricate time travelling story line is centred around Brit the Elder and Brit the Younger from Atlantis.

The story carries on seamlessly, Martin is still rather naive and Philip is his usual testy and caustic self. Martin sees this visit to Atlantis as an opportunity to further his cause with Gwen but Martin’s luck in that department has not improved.

Anything in the world of wizards is possible and probable though, and strange and wonderful events occur with regularity. Really good and humorous interaction and drama between the characters.

The two interwoven storylines, the time travellers in Atlantis and the events unfolding in the ‘real world.’ Agents Miller and Murphy from the US Treasury Department play a big part in the real world scenario and add to the comedic impact of a very enjoyable narrative.

As with the first book, I love the humour and there were lots of laugh out loud moments and witty banter and, as always, Luke Daniels gives his own inimitable and distinctive performance, differentiating and individualizing each character.
on 4 February 2016
This a quick, easy and fun read. It's definitely silly at times and doesn't take itself too seriously. In Off to Be the Wizard we are introduced to the file and learn that reality is just a computer program which can be manipulated. That concept was the best part of the first book, so it loses some of its shine here as we learn very little new about it, however we do get introduced to the women of Atlantis, a very different community of people who have found the file! I would've liked to know a bit more about some of the other 'magical' communities and see a bit more of some of the side characters, particularly the women whose roles seemed to revolve around the men. For a book mostly set in a female-led society, I'm not sure it would even pass the Bechdel test, and if it did, barely.
on 9 September 2014
Have thoroughly enjoyed this light hearted romp of magic and time travel, both the books have been very entertaining. I shall certainly buy book 3 when it comes out and I will look for this author again.
on 12 February 2015
Another good fun read with lots of nice nostalgic geek references, its not the longest book which makes you want to carry on reading the adventures of martin and Phillip by gong straight to the next book.
on 23 October 2014
This book has no shortage of witty banter, great characters who are slightly 2d, but in a good way and throws in lots of silliness.

All of which add up a real page turner that I'm sure you'll blast through. Read book one first though. No because you have to, just because you should
on 24 July 2014
I'm not sure why I'm so hooked on these books. As I said in my review of book one, it is hardly my usual sort of read. Again it has monty python-esque undertones and matrix overtones. It's clever and witty and I found myself actively disappointed that there wasn't a third one to download straight away. I hope there will be soon!

I fully recommend that you read book one : Off to be the wizard, before you read this one. It will just make much more sense. Other than that it's difficult to fault.
on 23 June 2014
If your a techie/geek how enjoyed the matrix and thinks ready player one is the book/audiobook everyone should read at least once these books will be entertaining for you. The characters are a joy and the story is great.

Defiantly worth a listen =]

Looking forward to the next one! (if there is)
on 4 August 2014
Book 2 in the 'magic 2.0 series' following the fantastic first book 'off to be the wizard'. Was a little doubtful as to whether this book could be as satisfying and entertaining as the first book, but practically after the first few pages I knew my doubts were wrong. This manages to be a worthy second part which flows seamlessly from the first book whilst at the same time introduces a whole new setting for it's story for Martin and Phillip in the form of Atlantis while still managing to find time to show the going's on in medieval England. Great book, just as good as the first. I eagerly await news of book 3.