Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 March 2014
Oh, no! Is this really the final series? There is so much mileage left in it! The final episode seems to suggest that it is ending, but I am consoled by having read that the BBC has commissioned a fourth series to be shown in 2015. Phew- thank goodness!!
The nuns find themselves in new and better accommodation and the private lives of the midwives develop movingly as Jenny Lee recovers from her bereavement and finds new love, Chummy loses her mother and finds herself, Trixie loses her heart and Shelagh and Patrick Turner finally achieve a family. (I have to admit to finding Shelagh and Patrick a tiny bit wet).
I was amused by the review suggesting using the dvd as a coaster, because I know a few men who find the childbirth aspect of the series distressing and have to leave the room. My pre-teen grandkids of both genders, on the other hand, take it all in their stride and are addicted to the programme. It is one of the best ever made by the BBC, in my opinion, and its popularity is richly deserved.
on 1 February 2014
Series 3 is again proving to be a great success and a joy to watch. Great Sunday night viewing without the need for the usual array of bad language and violence.
on 25 May 2014
This item arrived punctually and as described by seller. I have thoroughly enjoyed the show and have watched all the available seasons. The acting is superb: everyone is good, but the cast had a head start as it includes Jenny Aguter and Miranda Hart. Each character has it's day and you will fall in love with them all. The action is set in a convent where nuns, nurses and midwives support a community in the East end of London. It's based on the diary of a real midwife, who is touchingly played by Jessica Raine. Vanessa Redgrave narrates the memoires, lending the narrative depth and gravitas. Each episode contains at least one gripping story. It's supposed to be suitable for"twelve years and over" although I would say it's suitable for anyone who can endure graphic sights and sounds of childbirth, which arrise frequently and may be more difficult for men than children. A charming, funny and sometimes tragic romp.
on 28 April 2014
This excellent series continues on this complete third season set of 4 DVDs. This set is the complete 3rd season, including the second Christmas special (2013).
DVD1:Christmas Special;
DVD2:Series 3 Ep1-2-3;
DVD3:Series 3 Ep4-5-6;
DVD4:Series 3 Ep7-8
on 16 November 2014
Waiting for the last series, the Dvd is on its way. Never dreamed that my husband would enjoy this as it is mostly about birth and babies but he loves it. It is so human, the characters are so real and heartwarming, It gives an excellent impression of the east End in the fifties. It also shows that how poor the people might be, there was so much quality to their lives and the world was such a better place with real normal people and familylife.
This series is a big suprise, one of the best I have seen. Look forward to the third one and may the BBC continue with it.
on 8 March 2015
As always well written, emotive and educational. Although the clean gloves do annoy me, I haven't met a midwife yet who just delivered a baby and still has clean gloves! An interesting look back at how things were, and a stark reminder of how lucky we are to have made the medical advances we have, particularly in respect to children born disabled.
on 24 May 2014
Once again we are invited into the lives of the Midwives who served the people of the East End of London in the 1950s. And as we follow these wonderful women to the homes of expectant mums we enter a realm that tugs at our heart strings and causes torrents of tears. We visit Mums who live in direst poverty with limited amenities, little food yet are filled with cheerfulness and optimism.
We battle on with them through struggles and strife and share their joy as a new life is brought into the world. Their stoicism when faced with disaster their acceptance of conditions that are unthinkable today is admirable.They have this attitude of shrugging things off and simply 'get on with it'. As for the midwives, I adore them absolutely. Gathered from different class structures and backgrounds their upbringings were totally different from the women they serve. But they cope with the dirty beds, the filthy tenements and often abusive partners to deliver their babies with much love and sympathy. The midwives provided a much needed service to most of the women of the East End who before their arrival had their babies without medical help.
Please keep making more series.
on 10 July 2014
A well researched production and sensitively acted. Could also be viewed as a historical snapshot of nursing in general but particularly the east end at that time. I thoroughly enjoyed all series of this production. Excellent; I recommend it. I sent Series I and 2 and Christmas Special to friends in Gozo. They thoroughly enjoyed it and have watched it several times.
on 3 March 2015
As someone that missed out on 'Call the Midwife' I have managed to catch up with the series so far and have enjoyed every episode. Laughter, tears and Babies what more could you want from a brilliant programme?
on 10 April 2014
Having been living in east london in the period that the series is set in, I can empathise with the characters, and the settings, and yet be be astonished at the apparent level of poverty and sometimes desperation,and think it looks as if it is set in the 1920s and it makes me realise how old I am. I still thoroughly enjoy it though.