Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 March 2014
To my surprise - and for such a low price - this CD set is consistently excellent. Within the 60 songs there are no real duds.

Most importantly for me, these are authentic recordings from the time and the sound is very good. I share another reviewer's disappointment that there is no further information on the recordings, specifically dates of recording, but that won't stop me from giving the package 5 stars. I am 66 years old and this collection contains most of the familiar favourites plus others I found myself knowing once I got into the chorus of the song. I am very satisfied with my purchase !
on 6 March 2014
Considering most if not all these recordings are going on for 100 years old the sound is inevitably 'vintage,' but that is only to be expected. What loses a star is the total absence of any documentation! Far better to have charged another pound and included a booklet which would have greatly enhanced the set.
on 6 April 2014
Lovely to hear original recordings of theses songs, our church is having a flower festival based on WW1 songs, so this was good research material, people never remember the verses only the chorus, the verses are well worth listening too.
Be great for schools doing projects on the Great War.
on 25 May 2014
The collectionof songs from this era is very good and is bringing back vivid memories for my mother who is busy with the Women's Institute getting ready to celebrate their centenary next year. One slight criticism is that there should have been a bibliography included to explain the songs and list the lyrics in full. Perhaps a re-issue with these included will be a best seller.
on 1 February 2015
Extraordinary value for money in this evocative set of songs from the era. Some familiar, some less so. Interesting to see how some genuinely tug at the heartstrings while others are clearly bandwagon jumpers. The mocking of the conscientious objector as a camp 'pansy' is a truly chilling moment. Original recordings, so don't expect hifi sound, and I would have liked more notes and details than just a list of songs and artistes, but still a very worthwhile purchase.
on 17 February 2015
Comprehensive original artist recordings of the most played songs in WW1. Nothing unfamiliar but amazingly fresh for such early sound recordings. Extremely good value considering the number of tracks and the fidelity achieved for the sources available.
on 7 May 2014
The songs are recorded from the original - I found some of them rather difficult to listen to as they are not too clear - I want to use them for some events we are providing and would have preferred a recording that we could just have playing in the background - but this will not be possible to do with most of the songs on the cd as they are just too crackly etc. Otherwise they are obviously a true listening experience from back in the day.
on 16 May 2014
Authentic recordings are a treasure. Pure nostalgia. This is a poignant and heartwarming collection of sixty songs from the time. Get together with your friends and have a sing-along in the centenary year of the outbreak of WW1. Great price for three CDs. What a find.
on 25 December 2014
Really good, with not just the well-known choruses but the songs in full. Pleased also to find a few unexpected songs with which I am also familiar. Many years ago I used to sing them with my late Grandfather, who fought in WW1, so they brought back some lovely memories.
on 11 September 2014
This is a fine collection of songs at a very reasonable price. Only slight criticism was that the National Anthem was featured part way through one of the CDs, when I feel naturally that it should be at the end.