on 13 October 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story progresses at pace without losing the reader, and the magic 'system' is a novel one. The characters were engaging enough to keep me interested in their plight, though the aforementioned pace of the book left me less invested in them than I might have liked. It felt sometimes that the book tried to squeeze too much in, I would have liked a lengthier read so that the story and characters could have been fleshed out a little more. The battles were engaging and fast paced, though I often was left confused as to how they actually transpired, rather I was aware only of who was winning and that people were dying, that said they were still very enjoyable.

All in all a great novel that I can only assume was a debut. I will definitely be reading the next one, and if James Maxwell further improves it will be an excellent read and will net him 5 stars from me. 4 stars for 'enchantress' if I could do half stars it would be 4.5!
on 2 October 2017
I loved this book. Interesting characters and storyline. I couldn't put it down and went straight on to the next one.
on 5 November 2015
An absolutely wonderful read. The author builds up surroundings so well you feel as though you are inside them. The characters are vivid and I felt as though I was leaving behind companions when the book finished. Truly wonderful fantasy settings.
on 27 September 2017
The first of 4 books about the struggle between gòod and evil, but on a different planet. Fascinating.
on 23 March 2015
I could not get away from this adventure. Stayed up late reading until my eyes closed and I fell asleep only to wake up a few hours later to get back to this story. Looking forward to part 2!
on 3 September 2017
Not sure why I didn't give it 5 stars, the pace kept me through making me half read certain aspects I think, it helped with convenient or less believable elements. Very enjoyable read.
on 6 June 2017
good
on 1 June 2017
This is a good, readable novel with interesting characters and some new ideas.
on 25 July 2017
A well written and imaginative book about a fantasy world of magic, battles and power struggles. Ideal as an escape from boredom on the London Tube.
on 28 May 2017
Bought this for my mother for her birthday - she was very happy to receive it