Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 July 2017
Some people have given this package negative reviews, but this collection must be considered to add to your collection if You are like me a true Beatles fan.
on 26 June 2017
TOP CLASS
on 26 July 2017
ace item
on 27 July 2017
Great!
on 3 January 2017
Excellent service and value for money
on 18 June 2017
Fantastic
on 5 May 2017
Yes, amazon.co.uk's price is very very low, but there's a reason why Universal Music is dumping these sets so cheap. Many of these sets suffer from a chemical interaction between the discs and the ink & paper used to fabricate the mini-album covers. It may be sulfur content in the paper or ink that may have caused the problem. All 13 of my discs had playback surfaces which were heavily stained by a cloudy residue. Yes, the discs can be restored to perfect condition, but it took two and a half hours with a towel and water (and with running water and rubbing with my thumb to remove the most stubborn stains). Henceforth the discs must be stored outside of the original packaging(right now, i'm storing them in CD envelopes), because if you put the discs back into the original packaging, the stains will reappear and potentially damage the discs. In the end, the discs play perfectly, and I was able to buy it for less than half of what it would have cost in my country. But you would think that, by now, with decades of experience manufacturing CD's and their packaging, that Universal Music would know how to avoid disc-damaging inks and paper. In 34 years of collecting CD's, I've only encountered this sort of situation 3 times before.
Eventually, I'll come back and give you some feedback on the music and mastering, though other people have covered it in detail. It's a less than authentic representation of the 1960's Capitol Records U.S.A. albums. Some of the departures from authenticity are good, but the use of 1987 remixes for the stereo versions of 23 1965 songs was NOT a good idea. I knew in advance about these revisionist things(I already had a homemade CD-R clone of the set), but the completist in me wanted the actual set as a piece of memorabilia. For the real Capitol albums(as we heard them in the 1960's) buy "The Capitol Albums" Vols. 1 & 2 boxed sets.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2016
Firstly, it took me ages to decide if I really needed this box set, with having all the 2009 re masters, then I watched a review and unboxing on YouTube and quickly (if a little shamefully) realised that there was a good few differences with some of the US albums when compared to the UK albums, notably A Hard Day's Night soundtrack and Help Soundtrack.

The US versions feature George Martins instrumentals, not a deal breaker for some and maybe not even enough reason to buy the box set, but for me it was, and I'm really pleased I did. The box set also features a couple of the US albums on CD for the first time, one being Hey Jude from 1970 (always loved the cover).

Seriously,this box set is beautiful, when you hold it, you can definitely feel the quality that has gone into the product and I love the different picture covers of the albums as well. Also, having both mono and stereo versions of each album is a lovely bonus.

As I sit here in 2016 holding this box set, I am still blown away by the total impact these 4 guys from Liverpool still have today, there have been some brilliant and talented artist over the years, but there is just something magical about The Beatles that has never been, or is ever likely to be surpassed. . .

My advice then, just buy this box set, if your a Beatle fan like me, you will end up with it anyway. . . It's The Beatles, Enjoy
review image review image review image
on 20 January 2014
Firstly, I have to agree with the person who commented about people being able to post 'reviews' without even having invested in an item. That's particularly relevent, as I was a little dubious about pre-ordering this myself, after reading that the 2009 remasters had been used in many cases here. Before I get to my day's listening impressions: Yes- the packaging is BEAUTIFUL & positively scary in it's attention to detail. It screams quality (though I'm not going to paste the 'trunk cover' sticker over the Butcher sleeve & steam it off just yet! :-)).
As for the music (of course- superb), I'm a fan of many years, but NOT an expert when it comes to the various differences in mixes etc, that made the US albums intriguing for us Brit's. However, what I CAN say is:
This collection IS NOT just a reformatting/re-sequencing of the 2009 remasters, as has been presumed by some (myself included), though the differences aren't listed anywhere in the notes. This isn't an 'archealogical dig' folks. Of course, it made sense to get rid of the horrible 'fake stereo' tracks (which were enough to drive you nuts through headphones) & the original US applied reverb was an acquired taste. Never having owned all the US albums, I can't go into this in great detail (though someone will I'm sure)& personally I actually LIKED IT on 'The Beatles Second Album': one of the few I picked-up years ago & thought: "Hey!- this sounds kinda different!". Well- in that instance, the reverb's gone. But fear not: the mono versions of 'I Feel Fine' & 'She's A Woman' have their reverb intact & still sound like they were recorded in an aircraft hanger (for better or worse). The MONO mixes of 'I'm Only Sleeping', 'And Your Bird Can Sing' & 'Dr Robert' on 'Yesterday & Today' are the earlier mixes that made that album such a nice surprise on this side of the pond. There's far more actually going-on here than I initially thought there would be. I only received this beautiful release this morning, so I just thought I'd at least TRY to mention some of the mix differences etc.I know there are more, but it's a start :-).
Of course it won't please purists, but what would?. Let's also not forget that these releases offer the chance for many to hear the mono AND stereo versions of these tracks on a single disc too (especially appealing if you want to cherry-pick a few titles). If only the UK pressings offered that!
77 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2017
The music contained in this collection really needs no review - it's The Beatles and little else needs to be said. Collectable due to the US titles and track listings and that the majority contain mono and stereo cuts. Nicely boxed with a pretty decent book and reasonable, though not perfect, sleeve copies. As a word of warning to potential purchasers, be prepared to spend time cleaning the discs when you first unpack the set. No, I'm not getting mixed up with vinyl from a boot sale or charity shop, my copy of this set arrived with all discs seriously grubby and in need of a wash. Staining and residue was found on all discs and caused some skips on one disc. A rinse and gentle clean with a cloth seems to have solved the problem, for now at least. Other reviews have mentioned the same issue so I am not alone in having to scrub the cds. The cause? I don't know. Maybe the plastic cd sleeves that the set ships with are an issue.

Grotty discs aside, it's a good boxset with lots of great music for a decent price. Perfectionists will already know that some of the versions of tracks are incorrect but it's still a fun listen, at least after the discs have been washed and dried!

(Rating downgraded due to poor QC.)